Australian soap Neighbours is ending forever

Page 8 of 8 [ 120 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 2:30 am

KitLily wrote:
Yes, we just like to imagine that Australia is warm, sunny and everyone's lives are centred round the beach and everyone wears bathing suits all the time. :lol:

How cold is cold for you?

I think non Brits probably think the whole of our country is like Eastenders or Coronation Street.

For a better view of English people, watch Detectorists. Now THAT is more like real England.

Something that a lot of British people may not realise about Australia is that it's quite big- about 32 times the size of the UK. The southern states of Australia are a lot cooler than the northern states, which have tropical weather. In winter it snows on some of the mountains in the southern states. Tasmania is the southernmost and coldest state, but even here in Melbourne (in the state of Victoria), the temperature can get down to 0 degrees Celsius overnight in winter. And it's often overcast and drizzly here- that's how it's been all day today.

The beachy lifestyle shown in Australian soaps is more common further north along the coast. Melbournians are more known for wearing a lot of black and being obsessed with coffee (not entirely untrue!) :coffee:

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 4:44 am

jennyishere wrote:
Melbournians are more known for wearing a lot of black and being obsessed with coffee (not entirely untrue!) :coffee:

Literally no-one in the UK knew what a 'Cappuccino' was before we started hearing characters in Neighbours order them in the coffee shop, back when it was run by Daphne.

We all thought coffee was dried instant and your only choice was Nescafe or Kenco. If nothing else, I credit Neighbours with creating a demand for real coffee and coffee shops.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 11:26 am

DuckHairback wrote:
When I was in Melbourne, any Australians I told that I was going to visit Ramsay Street seemed embarrassed - either for their country or for me, not sure which! I thought they should be proud of their main cultural export but it seems it's not that popular in Australia. Or at least not respected.

I have a weird, Neighbours-related story. They were Natalie Blair (who played a character called Carmella) and her partner whose name I can't remember but he was in Neighbours for a while also, in a smaller role.

Yes, Neighbours is made for British audiences.

Aussies prefer Home & Away. Apparently because it is more culturally realistic and appropriate. Make of that what you will.

I watch Neighbours in phases, sometimes I watch for years, then I don't for years. So unfortunately Carmella and partner were in the years I wasn't watching... :oops:

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 11:31 am

jennyishere wrote:

Something that a lot of British people may not realise about Australia is that it's quite big- about 32 times the size of the UK. The southern states of Australia are a lot cooler than the northern states, which have tropical weather. In winter it snows on some of the mountains in the southern states. Tasmania is the southernmost and coldest state, but even here in Melbourne (in the state of Victoria), the temperature can get down to 0 degrees Celsius overnight in winter. And it's often overcast and drizzly here- that's how it's been all day today.

The beachy lifestyle shown in Australian soaps is more common further north along the coast. Melbournians are more known for wearing a lot of black and being obsessed with coffee (not entirely untrue!) :coffee:

Yes we don't realise what big countries are like because Britain is a teeny weeny country.

0C is not cold or unusual for most of Britain however. We have weeks of that temperature in winter, and it rains for weeks on end, even in summer. We don't really have defined seasons, it can rain any time. So when we see the sun it is a treat!

My friend lives in Brisbane and she comes home to Britain for Christmas because she can't stand the 40+C temps in Australia. We can't do high temperatures in Britain because our houses and lifestyle are not designed for it e.g. air conditioning is almost unheard of here and our houses are designed to keep heat in at all costs.

jennyishere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2023, 4:47 pm

I've experienced British weather twice, for a couple of weeks each time. My first experience was freakishly good- we arrived in May to a day of 26 degrees C and had beautiful weather the entire time. On our second visit, Europe was experiencing its wettest spring for 150 years and it was grey and drizzly/stormy for our entire stay.

Melbourne weather is much cooler, less humid and more changeable than Brisbane's. Days of 40+ can happen here, but they're not common- there were none during our recent summer. Hot, windy days can be dangerous in outer suburbs and rural areas due to the risk of bushfires. I no longer live in a fire-prone area, but I still feel nervous when it's hot and windy.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

20 Sep 2023, 3:47 pm

! Cornflake wrote:
The series has returned - some posts here announcing this have been moved to the new thread Australian soap Neighbours has returned!

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2023, 8:28 am

Thanks Cornflake!

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

21 Sep 2023, 4:33 pm

:salut: Happy to help.