Page 371 of 414 [ 6612 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 368, 369, 370, 371, 372, 373, 374 ... 414  Next

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2023, 10:49 am

Last night I finished watching my way through all episodes of the one season Fractured Flickers [1963–1964].

The show's concept was to take snippets from old movies (mostly silent movies), stick them together, and dub in silly dialog to create absurd little short videos. Usually they did not identify the old movies they were pillaging though I did recognize bits of M. It was very self-depreciating. It did not take itself seriously and did not ask the viewers to take anything seriously. The show was hosted by Hans Conried. Each of the 26 episodes also had a brief guest appearance by a distinguished guest...who also did not take it seriously.

The show was fun fluff.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2023, 3:32 pm

Move to Heaven (2021)

Season 1, episode 1

We learn that Han Seong-u loves his son, Han Geu-ru, and the two have a special relationship. They work together gathering the belongings of the recently deceased, and deliver them to the next of kin. The dad does this with compassion and resect.
Geu-ru sees and retains details in the world, expanding those details into broader conclusions about the deceased. He also does this for the fish in the local aquarium where is studies the myriad of manta rays, sharks, and other fish.
Concerning the recently deceased, his dad listens to what his son says, and is impressed by his capacity to infer details about the person's life. He then imagines the decease living, utilizing the information provided by his son. Then his father dies from a heart attack.
His 불쾌한 똥구멍 uncle moves in. (One can use a translator to find the meaning. However, I used the word "Obnoxious..." and when translated back it came out as "Unpleasant...".)

The episode ends with his ex-convict uncle, Cho Sang-gu, showing up and proclaiming that the home is now his. He is now Geu-ru's legal guardian.

Wikipedia: Move to Heaven

I enjoyed the first episode. There are 10 in all.
I'm watching it on Netflix. The categories are "heartfelt-emotional-drama." I suspect Cho Sang-gu will become less of an 불쾌한 똥구멍.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2023, 8:08 pm

Move to Heaven (2021)

Episode 2, 3, 4, and 5

This is generally about a 55 minute show per episode, but it seems like a 30 minute show.

The 불쾌한 똥구멍 uncle is, as I suspected, growing on me as his story unfolds. His relationship with Geu-ru is evolving to as he sees and participates in the good work that Geu-ru does.
Geu-ru has a female friend. There is no romance involved, but she will defend him and look out for him. She is Yoon Na-mu. She joins the trauma cleaner team. The business is called Move to Heaven. She is looking out for Geu-ru because she does not trust Sang-gu. She has learns tiny bits and pieces of his past and his current shenanigans. But she is missing vital pieces of his story, past and present.
There is humor. It is an easy show to watch.

The stories they uncover during their trauma cleaning are interesting, and I like these mini stories within the story as a whole.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 9:47 am

Move to Heaven (2021)

Just finished watching episode 10.

I enjoyed this series very much.
I enjoyed the music, which was mostly piano pieces by Beethoven, Bach, Debussy, Chopin, and others I've heard before, but cannot remember the composer.
I enjoyed the bookend structure of Geu-ru's father passing, and the spreading of his remains near Geu-ru's mother. In between there were a variety of stories of other people dying and the dignity and perseverance Geu-ru demonstrates giving the contents to family or the closest thing the deceased had to family. No two stories were alike.
I enjoyed the story ark of his 불쾌한 똥구멍 uncle, learning more about him, his background, and the relationship he had with Geu-ru's dad.
I enjoyed his "bestie," a girl name Yoon Na-mu, who lives across the street. She knows him well and does everything she can to help and look after him.

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 11:14 am

Getting through Archer season 2. Just watched my favorite episode Placebo Effect.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2023, 5:17 pm

:thumright: Archer is a great show!

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2023, 2:25 pm

My Mister (2018)
16 episodes on Netflix.

Another Korean drama. I just finished the last episode. It was very good, full of good characters. I was sorry to see it end. Hated to remove it from my list.

I like single season series. A fully thought out story, longer than a movie, and if well done, better than a movie. I'm sure I'll eventually find an exception.

I enjoyed all the characters and how they were portrayed. Two characters made me think of The Simpsons. The calculating, self-centered, greedy CEO Do Joon-yeong, and his sycophant right hand man, Yoon Sang-tae. Except Do Joon-yeong was physically closer to Wayland Smithers, and Yoon Sang-tae was physically closer to Mr. Burns, if he had a bit more hair on top. He also took a delight in evil shenanigans like Mr. Burns.

I would enjoy writing about the two main characters, Park Dong-hoon and Lee Ji-an, but I will get lost in the details.
Dong-hoon is an exceptionally kind man with two delightful brothers. He is played by Lee Sun-kyun and has a very commanding voice.
Ji-an is a 20 to 21 year old that is very smart, and streetwise. (rumor is, she KILLED a man). She is a temporary worker hired by Dong-hoon. She is played by Ji-eun Lee.

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2023, 8:15 pm

Divorce Attorney Shin (2023)
12 episodes on Netflix

IMDB: Storyline (and Netflix Description) wrote:
Driven by a personal tragedy, a pianist-turned-lawyer navigates the complex world of divorce - fighting for his clients to win by any means necessary.

The three keywords Netflix used to categorize it are "Witty, Emotional, Drama"

This was enjoyable to watch. There are bits are unexpectedly funny, bits that are sad, bits that are romantic, and there are bits that are serious and tense. It was not what I expected. I think it's because I'm use to American television. This was unexpected, and as I said, enjoyable.
The description says "win by any means necessary." I imagined an attorney that "doesn't play by the rules." That's how imagine it would have been handle in Hollywood. Here it means he gives 100% of his knowledge and research for his client. The first client is a popular radio DJ who has committed adultery, with a sex tape involved, and Attorney Shin represents her in an effort to retain custody of her son. He tends to take lost causes on for clients.

It sounds cliché, but there is an Evil step-mother.

Basement
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jun 2023, 11:34 am

9/11: One Day in America

Extraordinary documentary.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 12:18 pm

Last night I finished watching my way through Doctor Who, season 2.

I persuaded my bride to watch "The Romans" and the beginning of the story after it, "The Web Planet", because I think it is remarkable that one of the very best rated classic Doctor Who stories could be followed immediately by one of the very worst rated stories.

I think all of the stories in season 2 were good but "The Romans" stands out as being one of the best stories of classic Doctor Who. It is one of their historical stories but it is their first attempt to include a strong feel of comedy. It might not have been good enough to be a theatre-released movie but it would've made a very credible made-for-TV movie.

And then "The Web Planet". :silent: I won't say it had a bad story...because I really don't notice its story. What I notice are the incredibly low production values! In one scene in the interior of the TARDIS two of the walls are not tightly together so you can see through the crack and see that people are moving around on the set behind the walls. From some camera angles you can see that some of the exterior rocks are not rocks but rather flat panels painted like rocks, and the set walls are not too good either (a scenic vista of the outside horizon should not have visible corners). And the aliens 8O ! They do not look at all convincing; they look like homemade Halloween costumes! UGH!

pcgoblin
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 2:59 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Last night I finished watching my way through Doctor Who, season 2.

I persuaded my bride to watch "The Romans" and the beginning of the story after it, "The Web Planet", because I think it is remarkable that one of the very best rated classic Doctor Who stories could be followed immediately by one of the very worst rated stories.

I think all of the stories in season 2 were good but "The Romans" stands out as being one of the best stories of classic Doctor Who. It is one of their historical stories but it is their first attempt to include a strong feel of comedy. It might not have been good enough to be a theatre-released movie but it would've made a very credible made-for-TV movie.

And then "The Web Planet". :silent: I won't say it had a bad story...because I really don't notice its story. What I notice are the incredibly low production values! In one scene in the interior of the TARDIS two of the walls are not tightly together so you can see through the crack and see that people are moving around on the set behind the walls. From some camera angles you can see that some of the exterior rocks are not rocks but rather flat panels painted like rocks, and the set walls are not too good either (a scenic vista of the outside horizon should not have visible corners). And the aliens 8O ! They do not look at all convincing; they look like homemade Halloween costumes! UGH!

Classic Doctor Who. Nice. :D
And yes. 1960s BBC on a budget. Still, the Doctor Who theme gets my heart pumping nearly every time I hear it.

mrpieceofwork
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 3:05 pm

Stopped that nonsense years ago.

My text only website
https://rawtext.club/~mrpieceofwork/
"Imagine Life Without Money"

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2023, 3:11 pm

pcgoblin wrote:
Still, the Doctor Who theme gets my heart pumping nearly every time I hear it.
I also find it compelling (addicting?)...perhaps the Doctor hid some kind of subliminal signal in it?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 1:01 pm

The Black Adder (1983), Episode 1

From the first series of the sitcom starring Rowan Atkinson, later known simply as 'Blackadder'. It's set in the period shortly after the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1483, and takes some (ahem) major liberties with the facts of history.

This was moderately funny in parts, but nowhere near enough to justify its cult rating as one of the best comedy series of all time. My recollection of the later three series is that they were definitely better, however.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 4:43 pm

The Black Adder (1983), Episode 2

Some decent laughs, as before. Brian Blessed really gets on my nerves though. :ninja:

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2023, 7:01 pm

Archer Season 2 finished.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.