Are there any fans of the MYST series here?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Do you like the MYST series?
I love the MYST series! 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
I love the MYST series! 31%  31%  [ 10 ]
I like it. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
I like it. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
It's okay. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
It's okay. 6%  6%  [ 2 ]
I dislike it. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I dislike it. 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I hate the MYST series! 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
I hate the MYST series! 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 32

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Nov 2004, 9:17 pm

In case you don't know, MYST is the best-selling computer game in history. The series is in first person where the games are "free from dying, killing, keyboard commands, role-playing and starting over" This game is very open-ended and is much better than RHEM. It was the first game to have good graphics and sound and was made around the time I was born.
I mean in RHEM, I couldn't get very far in the game, and the game seemed to me like just a jumble of staircases and confusing data to collect. Also at the end, I've heard that there is no reward and it was all in vain.
MYST, on the other hand, is very interesting. Take my dad for example. It took him forever just to get off of MYST island. But even if you never do, you still have a beautiful world to explore. You can go in the star room and find a constellation that matches your birthday. Mine is May 8th, 1991 at 11:46 am and mine looked sort of like a lightbulb. You can go into the library and read Atrus's journals. You can marvel at this very beautiful world that these marvelous computer designers created.
And at the end, there is a reward, but I'm not going to spoil it.
This game is very intuitive. Don't buy MYST, as it will probably be too primative to work on your computer. Buy realMYST, the new improved version for the . But be sure to buy the correct version(Windows or Macintosh). Also get the sequels, "Riven" and "Exile". The fourth one, "Revelation", will come out soon.
The MYST series are the greatest computer games I have ever played. I love them. If you like them or have any questions, you can post them here.

Yours truly,

Christopher Grills

P.S.- I'm writing a MYST book in which my friend Courtney and I find the Myst book and we do all the things you do in the game. I have to modify the story a bit in order to allow interaction between Courtney and I.

Catffienated
Toucan
Toucan

28 Nov 2004, 9:56 pm

I just got the novel based on the game, but I haven't played the game before.

Feste-Fenris
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2004, 5:55 am

I'm indifferent towards the game... too much puzzles... not enough realistic logic...

But the novels based on the game have the sort of bent logic that I'd expect from a surreal universe like Myst...

Jodi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Nov 2004, 4:06 pm

I havent played Myst in a while. i managed to get to one of the other places. I had some trouble with the puzzles. I thought the graphics were pretty although some things kinda freaked me out.

Chris
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

04 Dec 2004, 6:33 pm

Really? I found the puzzles quite easy!(Except for the part where you have to find the hidden doors in Mechanical and the button puzzle on Stoneship) If you need help with the game, you can send me a private message. I've mastered the game. And this game can be tricky at times. I'm here to help.

animefreak
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Dec 2004, 12:13 am

My parents love the series they own and played all of the myst series so far

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2005, 10:46 am

I love all the Myst games. I've finished them all, but; it did take a while to do so. My problem with a lot of the puzzles was, I feel, lack of logic. My whole life is based on logic! LOL

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2005, 1:36 pm

I have recently finished the Uru series (latest ~ Path of the Shell) and Myst 4 which was excellent.

I thought Myst 4 captured the atmosphere of both Riven and Exile.

I am now waiting Myst 5 which is due out later this year.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2005, 2:36 pm

I once played "Myst 2" - got nowhere, saw nothing and did nothing for 20 minutes, got thoroughly bored and never loaded it again.... sorry.....

Asparval
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2005, 4:20 pm

That's what I like about it ~ you can do nothing but explore for ages until you work out how to get passed the puzzles and then there is more to explore. And there is no-one around to bother you.

TAFKASH
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2005, 4:26 pm

Asparval wrote:
.....And there is no-one around to bother you.

Probably because they can't stand the boredom. :lol:

aspiegirl2
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 3:28 am

I too love the MYST series. The games aren't just the "kill the bad guys, and move onto the next level" types of games, but rather "I've got to think extremely hard on this one". I like the idea of using logic in a game instead of just superpowers and controls, and the idea of having to think over very complex puzzles. I think that they are some of the only types of games that would actually be worthwhile to play, since it can boost your brain power. I'm not much of a gamer, but I've come to like MYST a lot, and it makes me think outside the box and more complex, and it has a cool story (and the graphics are awesome, especially MYST Exile on XBox). Not like other games aren't fun, it's just that MYST is on the top of my list.

I'm 24 years old and live in WA State. I was diagnosed with Asperger's at 9. I received a BS in Psychology in 2011 and I intend to help people with Autistic Spectrum Disorders, either through research, application, or both. On the ?Pursuit of Aspieness?.

Jetson
Veteran
Veteran

07 Feb 2006, 3:50 am

Chris wrote:
The series is in first person where the games are "free from dying, killing, keyboard commands, role-playing and starting over"

Actually, you can get killed in Myst 2 near the very end.

Thagomizer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 12:35 am

The original Myst game was the first PC game I actively played. My father and I worked on it for a while, and consulted the hint book only three or four times that I recall. It now has a special place in my heart, as being one of the purest and most absorbing game worlds I've ever intereacted with. It's no small wonder that something like 75% of the Myst players weren't gamers themselves.

Some people just can't stand the game and find it deadeningly boring. Of course, many are also bored by some of my other favorites, like the Fallout games, Planescape: Torment, and the Tomb Raider series. And I'm bored by some of the games that they like, such as the Quake series, Duke Nukem 3D (after the first few levels), Diablow, Neverwinter Nights, and Dungeon Seige.

Of course, I can't really blame Gamespot for nominating Myst as having one of the worst endings of all time. It is maddeningly inconclusive, but then again, how could it not have been?

Back when Riven was being released, our computer was too old to run it, so it wasn't until a few years later, when I'd saved up to buy my own computer, that we were able to play Riven. At this point, we weren't in the dark since I'd known more about the Myst universe after having read the original novel (which is still a good read, but I haven't picked up the others yet). I'd been given the strategy guide along with it, and referred to it occasionally, but mostly to learn about the general principles behind the puzzles and not the solutions themselves. I felt that Riven was brilliant, but it was even harder and more oblique than it's predecessor. It also created a world that I felt was more compelling and expansive in it's exploration.

I haven't played Myst III yet, or the other game (Uru?), but I just might hunt down a copy and see it it will work on my venerable computer.

AbominableSnoCone
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2006, 12:48 am

My dad is horridly obsessed with the series.
I get bored by them pretty quickly

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

27 Feb 2006, 11:34 pm

Actually, Myst isn't the best-selling game anymore--it used to be, but now The Sims is. Just a tidbit of info.

I really dislike the games, because too much of it seems to be fiddling with things. Puzzles are one thing, fiddling around is another. I even got a strategy guide for Riven and STILL wasn't able to finish it.

I do adore some adventure games (and I MUCH prefer them to First Person Shooters), but I'm into the graphic adventure kind that was popularized by old LucasArts classics like the Monkey Island series, or the more recent (but still very old) classic Grim Fandango. The reason why is because those adventure games (as well as some RPG's, such as the aforementioned Planescape: Torment or Arcamum) are the perfect vehicles for the sort of personality, humor, and plot that too many games lack. (Myst included.)

I'm so saddened that good adventure games are no longer made. Everytime one's in development, it gets canned. And yet the Adventure Company rolls out one terrible adventure game after another, nearly all of them destined to get a "Don't Bother" review in PC Gamer due to the games' horrible scripts, characters, plots, puzzles, and graphics.

If other genres had begun to pick up on what made those graphic adventures so great to me, I wouldn't be so saddened, but for the most part they haven't. The industry, right now, is all about technology rather than actually using it. Everybody wants people to know their game is a "Next generation" game, when they haven't even utilized the last generation's technology to its full extent. Nobody's even come close. Half-Life 2's facial animation technology, combined with the incredible AI that can now be made and bump-mapping graphics, could be used to create shockingly realistic characters. And I don't just mean visually--that's been done. I mean personalities. Mentalities. Characters who are, quite frankly, real people. Characters so real that you couldn't wait to come home from school or work everyday just so that you could talk to them again. And then the game could have these characters be put in some truly horrifying situations. There is such a potential for moving, captivating drama in gaming, but nobody's interested. Electronic Arts hasn't seemed to even try lifting a finger to live up to its new slogan "Can video games make you cry?" (And really, even without characters, of course they can: just release the game years before it's ready like you keep doing already, EA...the massive bugs are enough to make someone cry!) GAAAA! I'm so ticked off at the industry about this.