Idiocy: or the greatest display of group think on Television

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Comkeen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Mar 2006, 1:16 am

I just caught a new episode of THE APPRENTICE. Two groups competed against each other to create a catch phrase and get as many people to text msg it. One of the groups had Brett, who was an obvious aspie. He was overweight, constantly persperating (probably due to not having the camera stuck in his face) and as far as impressions went, didnt come off as too welcoming. He got into an arguement with one of the females in the group (an attorney) and their war escalated in the hallways where Brett got into her personal space and pointed his finger at her (very bad, bad thing to do to Neurotypicals).

Anyways, after Brett ruined his reputation wtih the group he redeemed himself later on by being the only person in the group willing to do something silly (but eye-catching) in public to get attention and text msgs about their product. Brett's gruop still failed miserably, but what happened next in the board room was absolute hilarity.

The group immediatly started blaming their whole failure on Brett! The lawyer whom Brett got in a heated arguement retracted her statement that Brett "threatened" her, then brought it back again. The group blamed Brett for "holding up" their project, and none of them took the blame for why the project failed in the first place: bad location and bad catch phrase. Even though what Brett did in public was silly, it attracted them enough attention to at least not turn the project into a total failure but he still got the whole blame over it. In the end, Trump saw this this fascade and fired the obvious people: the attorney who was threatened by Brett (because she chose the location) and the person who decided the catch phrase.

It got me thinking on how much people like us have to deal with in public. While I do agree that Brett's actions in the beginning were wrong, nobody in the group wanted to work with him. They just talked behind his back and engaged in group think idiocy. Its like, "hey, Im not doing a good job myself, but that Brett character's an obvious fall guy so Im going to join in demeaning him because I dont want to fess up to my own actions!".

Ah well, what a great episode.

Last edited by Comkeen on 07 Mar 2006, 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Mar 2006, 1:35 am

I'm glad Trump was able to fire the people who deserved it. :lol: Silly NT lady 8O

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

09 Mar 2006, 8:33 am

I have observed before when several people start ganging up on 1 person. Nobody is aware that is what is happening, and when you point it out to them they will deny it.

I'd like to see a contest to find the greatest example of group think displayed in TV and movies. It would be a fun catalog of stupidity. Like the darwin awards.