Would people like to see a film by an autistic director?

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Could an Aspy direct a film?
Yes, and I can name a few directors that might have Aspergers Syndrome. 60%  60%  [ 15 ]
It's possible... 40%  40%  [ 10 ]
It's incredibly unlikely. 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 25

TheAutisticDirector
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Oct 2009, 3:10 pm

A few years ago I found my passion in life to be directing. I know my social disorder makes having a successful career and making coherent films a challenge, but it also gives me some advantages and a unique way of making films.

I’ve made a few short films, and now I’m working on an animated science fiction film called Hacker Mind. You can see the trailer (here).

I’ve hyper-focused on studying how to direct films, and I am putting a great deal of effort in my next undertaking. Do others think it’s possible for an Aspy to become a well received director?

Janissy
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 3:29 pm

I visited your web site but couldn't find the trailer.

In any case, I think there is always an audience for a new vision. It may not be a huge audience, but artsy people crave being shown things from unique new perpectives. I sure would like to see it.

It is definately possible for an Aspie to be well recieved as a director. Andy Warhol. Not that I actually sat through "Sleep" but I have watched his films that sort of had plot like "Trash" and I've seen many of his screen tests (where people just stare at the camera for 3 minutes). He wasn't formally diagnosed (not in the DSM at the time) but boy does he fit the profile.

So. Yes. I think your unique perspective would be welcomed. It would be unlikely to be welcomed by the people who made Transformers a hit, but they aren't the only ones who like movies.

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:49 pm

Well, Tim Burton may be a aspie, and is movies are quite succesfull. So I guess being a aspie is not really a problem. Maybe people will even like your "unique" vision. 8)

xalepax
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:54 pm

Very cool! I just added you as a friend on YouTube!
and of course an aspie can direct a film :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 4:56 pm

I certainly would!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Apple_in_my_Eye
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 6:03 pm

Would I like to see a film by an autistic director? Yes.
Could an Aspy direct a film? I think so, and I'm sure that some have.

I've always wondered about Stanley Kubrick. I've not read too much about him, though.

I think an AS person could do alright if there is a well-defined 'role' to play, with a clear power structure. Being a director sounds dictatorial, which could actually be a plus. (just be a benevolent dictator)

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

23 Oct 2009, 8:21 pm

I saw an article once, linked from Wikipedia (though no longer there), that claimed that Steven Spielberg was an aspie.

On sabbatical...

TheAutisticDirector
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2009, 6:52 am

Sorry the link didn't work.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AomfzmEQaLs[/youtube]

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 4:59 pm

As long as the film doesn't suck, I'd be willing to see it.

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

24 Oct 2009, 10:37 pm

As long as the film doesn't suck, I'd also be willing to see it.

TheAutisticDirector
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Oct 2009, 11:07 pm

"...as long as it doesn't suck..."

All I can promise is that I love the script that I've written and that I will obsesses over ever detail of the film making process till I feel I've made a film worthy of an audience.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 1:25 am

TheAutisticDirector wrote:
"...as long as it doesn't suck..."

All I can promise is that I love the script that I've written and that I will obsesses over ever detail of the film making process till I feel I've made a film worthy of an audience.

Sounds like me and my book...

On sabbatical...

Asmodeus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 6:31 pm

By all means tell us when it's finished. :)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 6:48 pm

I think the real qoestion should be; "Can you, with the materials you have at hand, tell a compelling and entertaining story on the budget you're given?" This is the central criteria for being a director.

AS may be a new 'take' on a story, but you have to project your vision in a way a general audience can understand it. It may work for one movie, maybe two, but be an artist and director first.

Ok, sat down and watched the trailer. Nice music. IMO, trailers are a brief synopsis of the action, and a way to paint the story in general terms, while showing scenes out of sequence to still interest the viewers. (think about it whenever you watch a trailer, then see the movie...;)

One thing about modern video is it's really fast-paced. Since Hollywood thinks we have the attention span of a gnat, a black screen lasting more than about 4 or 5 seconds will not really work. Just my opinion. Probably the audio of the characters should come in within about 10-20 seconds at most. Maybe some more explanatory words at the beginning? Music should probably pick up or change after the first 30 seconds, unless you're using it to contrast against faster-paced action.

Nothing harsh here, just saying in my opinion where I think your focus should be.

You've got a good idea here, keep working on it.

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 7:12 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Stanley Kubrick had AS. He definitely had obsessive interests and a very literal, black and white mind -- he reputedly needed an explanation in order to understand the "reacharound" joke in Full Metal Jacket. I think his problems were mild, though -- he worked as a photo journalist before he became a film director so he clearly had no problems handling pressure.

jamesohgoodie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2009, 10:15 pm

Why not? After the success of Michael Bay, Hollywood's shown it can accept a ret*d director!

NEVER NORMAL - Saving the World Between Sketchbooks
nevernormal.net