Titan A.E. (Metaphor for us vs autism speaks?)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 6:57 pm

Next to Lion King, my favorite movie is Titan A.E.. I could never explain why it was my favorite and was even the basis for my special intrest in lizards and the orgin of my desire to have a lizard of my own. I always suspected the protagainst had AS. A genius machaniac who is able to repair things by out of the box methods, socoliazes well with aliens but is wary of other people. One thing that really got my attention is when they get captured by the drej, the protagainst asks the girl, "What did the human race ever do to the drej? What are they so afraid of?" and she says, "It's not what we did, they are afraid of what we might become" That makes me think of what is going on with autistic people and autism speaks. Autistics are the humans and Autism Speaks and NTs are the drej. Maybe I'm just weird but can anyone else see this connection?

Last edited by PunkyKat on 09 Feb 2010, 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 7:20 pm

hmm... lemme think it over some more. I do love that movie, and I have never thought of it that way.

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2010, 7:33 pm

I don't really see reasons for considering the protagonist aspie. You're overthinking it.

JAGamma
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Feb 2010, 10:01 pm

Tollorin wrote:
I don't really see reasons for considering the protagonist aspie. You're overthinking it.

I do. TV and movies have characters and stories that parallel autism and asperger's pretty much everywhere.

In this movie in particular, you could find parallels to autism and other psychiatric disorders all over the film, because its main cast is mostly stock. The predestined boy genius, the gruff ex-marine, the gunslinging biker babe, the irritable mechanic, the sarcastic traitor, the absent-minded tinker, and the merciless aliens with plasma weapons are all very common stock characters. Each character has personality traits typical of at least one psychiatric disorder.

Autism: it's the fuel source that makes the story go.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Feb 2010, 12:06 pm

JAGamma wrote:
Tollorin wrote:

I do. TV and movies have characters and stories that parallel autism and asperger's pretty much everywhere.

In this movie in particular, you could find parallels to autism and other psychiatric disorders all over the film, because its main cast is mostly stock. The predestined boy genius, the gruff ex-marine, the gunslinging biker babe, the irritable mechanic, the sarcastic traitor, the absent-minded tinker, and the merciless aliens with plasma weapons are all very common stock characters. Each character has personality traits typical of at least one psychiatric disorder.

Autism: it's the fuel source that makes the story go.

Finnaly someone who feels the same way I do! I think Cale's dad had AS too and from the decription of the comics his mum might have as well.