Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 1:49 pm

First: If you like happy endings, this thread is not for you.

Now, for all of you who like alternative movies, what is your favourite dystopian movie?
(Please provide a description of the movie and possibly a Youtube trailer clip)

Mine is "Miracle Mile" from 1988:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097889/

Its a classic love story; Boy meets girl, boy misses date, boy tries to find girl, boy gets random phonecall from a nuclear silo, panic arise everywhere, everyone die in a nuclear holocaust. The end.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1N5FBXs1ZWw[/youtube]

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 2:54 pm

Dystopia is my #1 favourite genre of films and books! :D

To post just one, I'm rather fond of Brazil as it was the film that introduced me to the genre.

[youtube]http://youtube.com/watch?v=4Wh2b1eZFUM[/youtube]

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 3:45 pm

-On the Beach- based on the Neville Shute novel. Human life is facing an end due to radioactive fallout from a nuclear war. No hope.

-Blade Runner- L.A. in the late 21 st century. Several androids have gone on a rampage and must be terminated. The L.A. in this movie is ugly, polluted and overcrowded. In short, you can't tell it from the real L.A..

-Soylent Green-. This is the last movie in which Edward G. Robinson appeared. His death scene in this move is all the more poignant since he was dying of cancer when he made S.G. This shows New York in the 21 st century. Its population if 44 million and unemployment is 95 percent. In short, you can not tell it from the real New York. The oceans are dying and the human race is subsisting on protein crackers made from corpses. Soylent Green is People!

-Reign of Fire-. Dragon have awakened and have killed off most of the human species.

-1984-. This is the mother of distopean stories, based on Orwell's novel Sever movie versions have been made for -1984-. Think of a boot crushing a human face forever.

ruveyn

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 4:27 pm

I know it's tiresomely predictable that someone would say this... but I get to say it first: Blade Runner, the Director's edition.

I tend to prefer Dystopian novels however... 1984, I am Legend (the book is ten times better than any movie version). But when it comes to movies, you can't beat Blade Runner.

Giftorcurse
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 6:03 pm

mgran wrote:
I tend to prefer Dystopian novels however... 1984, I am Legend (the book is ten times better than any movie version). But when it comes to movies, you can't beat Blade Runner.

Spot on. NOTHING can compare to Blade Runner.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 7:17 pm

Threads. The after-effects of a nuclear war is a pretty dystopian subject.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2010, 8:04 pm

Tequila wrote:

Very unrealistic. It would take a lot of ICBM's (even with MIRV) to turn the world into a radioactive wasteland.

ruveyn

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 1:29 am

ruveyn wrote:
Tequila wrote:

Very unrealistic. It would take a lot of ICBM's (even with MIRV) to turn the world into a radioactive wasteland.

ruveyn

In a nuclear war, do you think they would fire one missile, or even twenty? Either it is called nuclear Armageddon or it isnt. A few nukes can be survived, but if one side fires their entire arsenal, and the other responds in kind, then its game over.

And that is also OT and a discussion for another thread.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 2:40 am

ruveyn wrote:
-1984-. This is the mother of distopean stories, based on Orwell's novel Sever movie versions have been made for -1984-. Think of a boot crushing a human face forever.

The version with John Hurt is the one I have watched, and it is one of the few movies that can make me actually weep, from the end. "I love you."

Let me see...besides Blade Runner (which has a happy ending of sorts), the adaptation of Watchmen (the villain wins, FFS!), The Dark Knight...

If TV shows were allowed, I would have only two words to say on the matter: Blake's 7. If allowed to elaborate, I would say, imagine the inverse of Star Trek, where the main characters were criminals, rebels, and terrorists on the run from a brutal Federation. Very, very dystopian. It is summed up very well by the dialogue at the end of this trailer...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jIHPCAGMCts[/youtube]

On sabbatical...

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 3:02 am

Blargh, someone already mentioned Brazil.

Blade runner it is, then.

Psychopompos
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 4:49 am

1984, Brazil and Equilibrium.

Alum dare, dolere, id Hephaestus, id ire / Pro profundis fati / Pro pulchris infernarum profundis / Pro pulchris omni fati brachium / Pulchris profundis infernarum servi fati / Profundis, profundis fati

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 6:30 am

Blake Seven is excellent, possibly the best sci fi space opera I've ever seen. (And I loved the new Battle Star Galactica, so that's saying something.) The writing is what really lifts it above the ordinary.

I once met Paul Darrow after a play he was in, and had the most humiliating experience of my life... I came all over fan girl, and forgot how to speak. My boyfriend at the time had to ask for autographs. And I am NOT fan girl material.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 6:53 am

I will probably say Equilibrium, not only does it show humanity in society with no emotion, but amazing fighting scenes.

And surprise no one has mentioned it yet, The Matrix is an interesting one.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 6:59 am

mgran wrote:
Blake Seven is excellent, possibly the best sci fi space opera I've ever seen. (And I loved the new Battle Star Galactica, so that's saying something.) The writing is what really lifts it above the ordinary.

I once met Paul Darrow after a play he was in, and had the most humiliating experience of my life... I came all over fan girl, and forgot how to speak. My boyfriend at the time had to ask for autographs. And I am NOT fan girl material.

You're lucky. I'm waiting on his autobiography, You're Him, Aren't You? to come into the bookshop I have ordered it through.

On sabbatical...

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 7:38 am

Well, I've decided that I'm going to track down all the episodes and watch it again from the start. Don't know that I can afford it, but how else am I going to introduce my son to the best sci fi ever made?

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 8:27 pm

Hmm... some that haven't been mentioned yet;

A Clockwork Orange.

Children of Men.

They Live.

Mad Max 2.

Dark City.

Night/Dawn/Day/Land of the Dead.

THX -1138

You might argue that some of these aren't true dystopian films and that's okay.