Hmm... some that haven't been mentioned yet;

A Clockwork Orange.

Children of Men.

They Live.

Mad Max 2.

Dark City.

Night/Dawn/Day/Land of the Dead.

THX -1138

You might argue that some of these aren't true dystopian films and that's okay.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2010, 9:49 pm

mgran wrote:
Well, I've decided that I'm going to track down all the episodes and watch it again from the start. Don't know that I can afford it, but how else am I going to introduce my son to the best sci fi ever made?

Wouldn't say that. Doctor Who is still top of my list, but Blake's 7 is definitely second.

Back on-topic, would anyone consider Serenity somewhat dystopic?

Oh, and Moog, the reason why I didn't mention THX 1138 was because I haven't watched it (although I should, some day), and I didn't mention A Clockwork Orange because I think Kubrick screwed it up by sexing it up. To my knowledge, the Korova Milk Bar didn't have nude statues in the novel, and the way Alex kills the Cat Lady in the novel is through a more ironically appropriate sculpture, a bust of Beethoven. Oh, and Kubrick didn't put in the more optimistic ending of the novel, where Alex actually grows tired of violence.

I was a little hesitant to put The Matrix in because of the sheer fame of the series, but I guess I should have. But then again, shouldn't we then also include Metropolis?

On sabbatical...

tinky
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 May 2010, 10:05 pm

Quatermass wrote:

Oh, and Moog, the reason why I didn't mention THX 1138 was because I haven't watched it (although I should, some day), and I didn't mention A Clockwork Orange because I think Kubrick screwed it up by sexing it up. To my knowledge, the Korova Milk Bar didn't have nude statues in the novel, and the way Alex kills the Cat Lady in the novel is through a more ironically appropriate sculpture, a bust of Beethoven. Oh, and Kubrick didn't put in the more optimistic ending of the novel, where Alex actually grows tired of violence.

I'm more akin to liking the book myself. If i had i watched it without reading the book then i would have liked the movie more. What made the book even more special was the vast amount of slang used through out it. Yeah...i'm looking through the first chapter and i don't see anything about nude statues(though my knowledge of the slang is rusty so ya never know...). Those various add ins didn't bother too much it was just the ending. Kubrick used the american version of the book which had the last chapter(21) taken out as the american publisher thought it was more realistic that way. Chapter 21 was a sort of ending thesis for his book though. 21 symbolized the age of a man maturing and becoming wiser. Mayhaps i'll read it again now.

Oh and Brazil is one of my favorite movies ever so i'll say that as my favorite.

tinky's WP Mod email account: [email protected]

you may tire of the world but the world will never tire of you

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 3:20 am

tinky wrote:
Kubrick used the american version of the book which had the last chapter(21) taken out as the american publisher thought it was more realistic that way. Chapter 21 was a sort of ending thesis for his book though. 21 symbolized the age of a man maturing and becoming wiser. Mayhaps i'll read it again now.

I read once that Kubrick had the existence of the final chapter brought to his attention, but he ignored it. Oh, and he left Malcolm McDowell and Anthony Burgess to deal with the negative publicity.

On sabbatical...

Moog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 May 2010, 5:23 am

Quatermass wrote:

I was a little hesitant to put The Matrix in because of the sheer fame of the series, but I guess I should have. But then again, shouldn't we then also include Metropolis?

Hmm... I don't think the sexual content of the ACW movie really bothered me much. I do find the book superior (it's one of the best ever written, IMO), but the film is still rather brilliant, yet different.

Metropolis should definitely be in.

THX-1138 is good, but the themes will be familiar to any reasonably well read dystopia fan. Seeing it as a teenager before having read either 1984 or BNW was pretty mind blowing.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 6:31 am

Quatermass wrote:
mgran wrote:
Well, I've decided that I'm going to track down all the episodes and watch it again from the start. Don't know that I can afford it, but how else am I going to introduce my son to the best sci fi ever made?

Wouldn't say that. Doctor Who is still top of my list, but Blake's 7 is definitely second.

Back on-topic, would anyone consider Serenity somewhat dystopic?

[/i]?
Doctor Who isn't pure sci fi, or it would be top of my list too.

Starship Troopers is actually a very good dystopian movie, if you watch it from the point of view that it's actually a propoganda film from the world portrayed. Once you do that the gunghoism, the rubbish acting, and the tombstone teeth make sense. Try watching it that way sometime... imagine that you live under a totalitarian regime where, in order to have children you have to gain points by public service (ie, joining the military and blowing up aliens) and where people don't know what they're fighting for, but believe what they're told by the government. Personally, I was on the side of the spiders.

Strange Days is another good one, but I can never figure out if that's because it includes my favourite actress of all time.

Dark City I think someone mentioned, AI is nearly very good, but it's a bit too cute. The boy acting the android is wonderful... puts in a stellar performance.

Haven't seen Mad Max in a long time. Is it as good as I remember?

PLANET OF THE APES! I just remembered this one, the original of course... it's just phenomenal. My favourite line isn't the last one, but when George Taylor, captured by the apes, finds his voice again. "Get your damned hands off me, you dirty ape." The look of astonishment on everyone's face when the "animal" speaks!

There's that Jim Carrey film where he's the unwitting star of a sit com, and has been all his life... I'm afraid I can't remember what it was called.

And one which my son currently adores... V for Vendetta.

Moog
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

17 May 2010, 7:11 am

mgran wrote:
There's that Jim Carrey film where he's the unwitting star of a sit com, and has been all his life... I'm afraid I can't remember what it was called.

And one which my son currently adores... V for Vendetta.

The Trueman Show. Yeah, that's a good one.

I personally didn't like the V for Vendetta film, I'm too attached to the greatness of the Graphic Novel which is a masterpiece. The film pales quite badly, IMO.

I just thought of another good one I saw recently which could fit in the dystopia box; Existenz.

mgran
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 9:21 am

Do stories set in the past count? If so, what do folks think of the film version of Kafka's The Trial?

Wedge
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 4:12 pm

The Time Machine - Dr. Alexander Hartdegen accidentally travels to the year 802,701 when mankind was divided into two races one called Eloi and ape-like monsters called Morlocks who hunt the Eloi for food.

Escape from New York - The island of Manhattan has been turned into the world’s largest maximum security prison but the president’s plane crash lands in New York and only Snake Plissken can save the day!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 9:01 pm

Some have already been mentioned:

Children of Men

V for Vendetta

The Matrix {not sure if it's dystopian, though}

District 9

Serenity

I, Robot

28 Days Later/28 Weeks Later

I am Legend

The Road

WALL-E

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2010, 9:13 pm

Also, the movie Pleasantville, starring Tobey Maguire, pre-Spider Man
could also be seen as a dystopian movie.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 12:55 am

My favorites are Children of Men and 1984. I'm glad the lot of you guys are also interested in dystopia. It seems most people don't even know what it is. But out of the two, my favorite would by Children of Men. I have it tied with The Empire Strikes Back as my favorite movie of all time.

tinky
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 May 2010, 12:39 pm

"Cue the sun!"

oh my gooshness, how did i forget the truman show?

so the truman show and brazil

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 May 2010, 1:04 pm

nobody mentioned it, so i will- AI-Artificial Intelligence. the way those poor sentient robots were treated at the "flesh fairs" was beyond the pale. it made me physically ill. it made humans seem absolutely like beasts with good hair and college degrees. i was really happy with the way it ended.

tinky
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 May 2010, 1:33 pm

....happy? i thought it had the saddest ending possible. :(