Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

jeffhermy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2010, 5:58 pm

Who watched it back when it was on Sci-fi or Comedy Central? Who still watches it now? If you want to see it it's posted on Youtube, but only the best episodes.

What is your favorite episode? Mine is Puma Man just because it is so ridiculous the way the guy flies.

Maddino87
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Mar 2010, 6:00 pm

I've been a fan since very late 1997. MST3K: The Movie is the very first episode I watched, even though it was a movie. My favorites are tied between Space Mutiny, Riding With Death, and Final Sacrifice.

ROXY!! !

jeffhermy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Mar 2010, 6:06 pm

Maddino87 wrote:
I've been a fan since very late 1997. MST3K: The Movie is the very first episode I watched, even though it was a movie. My favorites are tied between Space Mutiny, Riding With Death, and Final Sacrifice.

ROXY!! !

Oh I forgot all about the movie, I can't imagine going that long without going to the bathroom like Exodar did :lol:

shukri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2010, 6:12 pm

It's hands down my favorite tv show - been a fan of it since about 1998. Even managing to collect all the episodes. My favorites are Pod People, Mitchell, Pumaman, and Laserblast. I really miss Trace ... he was in my opinion the best all-rounder on the show. Great gags, AMAZING comedy voice. Hey, did you that he, Joel and TV's Frank are back together again doing live riffing? Mike and co are of course back together doing rifftrax. It's not quite as good as MST3K, but they do some good material. I think that some of the charm went out of it when they stopped focusing on bad movies, and started doing better and more famous titles instead.

shukri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Mar 2010, 6:12 pm

- oops - sorry about the double post. Forgot I was running a prog in the background that does that.

Last edited by shukri on 26 Mar 2010, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eggman
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 7:09 pm

Manos the hands of fate

ViperaAspis
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2010, 8:22 pm

They've started putting the seasons of this on Netflix instant queue too. Great show. Takes me back.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2010, 7:17 am

I love MST3k. Never saw it on TV, as I live in Sweden, but I discovered it online, and quote it a lot. I have yet to check out Cinematic Titanic, but I love Rifftrax.

shukri wrote:
I think that some of the charm went out of it when they stopped focusing on bad movies, and started doing better and more famous titles instead.

Better? The Room, Troll 2, Twilight saga, Transformers, Star Wars prequels... They still do really bad movies. They do good movies too, such as Alien (which was absolutely hilarious), but there are plenty of bad movies on Rifftrax also. I do miss the sets and puppetry a bit, though.

shukri
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Mar 2010, 7:26 am

Vince wrote:
I love MST3k. Never saw it on TV, as I live in Sweden, but I discovered it online, and quote it a lot. I have yet to check out Cinematic Titanic, but I love Rifftrax.
shukri wrote:
I think that some of the charm went out of it when they stopped focusing on bad movies, and started doing better and more famous titles instead.

Better? The Room, Troll 2, Twilight saga, Transformers, Star Wars prequels... They still do really bad movies. They do good movies too, such as Alien (which was absolutely hilarious), but there are plenty of bad movies on Rifftrax also. I do miss the sets and puppetry a bit, though.

The technical quality of the movies they riff over with Rifftrax is much higher than the stuff they did for MST3K. Part of the fun in the original series was that the source movies were unintentionally funny in their own right. They were lazy, unimaginative, cheap etc. Now, I too think the Star Wars prequels, Transformers etc were crap movies, but you cannot fault them on technique. Those were high budget affairs made by some of the best film producers around. These new movies fail on plot, and occasionally _slightly_ hammy acting, but there's no way you can compare a movie like Phantom Menace to Pumaman. The flying scenes in Pumaman are so bad that it _helps_ the riffs, and that's what missing I guess. I love Rifftrax, I'm not saying it's bad, just that MST3K's choice of the worst movies on earth gave it a special touch.

irishwhistle
Veteran
Veteran

27 Mar 2010, 3:42 pm

My husband and I watched it back on Comedy Central, not much on Sci-Fi. We recorded as many as we could manage, mostly from seasons 2-4. Awesome stuff! I joined the information club and got the Satellite News, sat up through the Turkey Day marathon and broke into guilty silent giggles in church because the commercials for it included their version of a famous Thanksgiving hymn:

"We ga-ther together to watch cheesy movies
At Co-medy Central on Thanksgiving Day
On My-stery Science (breath) The'ter 3000
It's 30 straight hours and it's called Turkey Day! La!"

We were on the old Prodigy message boards (billboards, they were called) where there was a big group of fans gathered... Sampo, Antinea, Kitty, The Great and Powerful Turtle, Muzzy the Dunce, Fish, Crow's Dog Who Used to something something... sidewalk... dang, I forgot... and Doug, we just got to know him as Doug so I forgot his screen name. Here in California, we had a little group that did gather for the really good broadcasts, but of course we lost touch as people do. That's about as close as I've ever gotten to being a rabid fan.

I kinda miss how TV programming had turned at the time because of the surprise success of MST3K. There were any number of other stations trying to get in on it, and, rather than finding them pretenders or copycats, we were enjoying the additional sources of fun. Monstervision with Joe Bob Briggs was pretty good too. He relied mostly on the cheesiness of the movies because all the commentary was in the bumper things around the commercials. The best was at the beginning, when he summed up the film... Big hairy monster fu, hot bikini chick fu, etc.

Now, back to MST3K; yeah, it is indeed different from Rifftrax, but we love both. Because I found the show when Joel was on, I tended to think Mike didn't hold up to the standard, and watching Rifftrax has shown me that he has a very sharp wit indeed. In fact, I feel downright indebted to those guys for some of the blockbuster films they've taken on... The Star Wars Prequel really get to me, for some reason, even though I'm not a big Star Wars fan. Anyone who grew up in the 70s and 80s is going to have a certain automatic personal investment in the Star Wars franchise. It was part of our formative years. So to see what's become of it is rather a strain. And to have 3 guys cracking jokes on everything that makes you cringe is kind of a relief. But I even enjoy their jokes in a good movie. Iron Man was a terrific Rifftrax, and that was an outstanding film.

But of course, the cheesy ones are the best, it's just going back to the roots of the thing... People sitting around at home, finding a silly movie on tv, and laughing at the prepared stupid with very little personal effort, getting some buddies to join in and crack jokes to make it better. Finding MST3K was almost like having my older brothers (long since grown and moved away) hanging around again for a little while. Sometimes they would be there and watch 'em with me.

Favorites are hard to choose. The first on I ever saw has a special place for me... Wild Rebels. The thing about the older ones is that they were quoted through movie after movie ever since. "You'n your friends the creeps'n dis joint!" "Man, you messing wi' private stock!" Or Rocketship X-M: "We're on our waaaaay!" "I could tell you about a thousand wonderful hours..." Or Jungle Goddess: "Oh, Bob's alright, a little trigger happy, perhaps, but he's alright."

I have to say, though, that some of the best were Godzilla and Gamera movies: "Godzilla, a tree? That's not like you!" "Gamera is friend of children!" Also Pod People: "Trumpy, you can do stupid things!"

That's right, I'm a recovering MST3K nerd. And by recovering, I mean that it isn't on TV anymore.

For the record, Rifftrax does still take on the cheesy. The 3-riffers Plan 9 From Outer Space was terrific "I'm goin' tuh Leveetown!" And I suppose it's a matter of personal opinion whether the Star Trek movies they've done count as cheesy, but for my part, I really enjoyed their riffs on Generations and on Star Trek 6 (can't recall the name). And they've simply continued the work with those corny old short educational films, seeing as how there are so many, it's a great resource for them.

Well, I've rambled a long time. Yeah, I've seen the show and I could list more favorites if I had time.

The world loves diversity... as long as it's pretty, makes them look smart and doesn't put them out in any way.

There's the road, and the road less traveled, and then there's MY road.

Vince
Veteran
Veteran

30 Mar 2010, 1:35 pm

shukri wrote:
The technical quality of the movies they riff over with Rifftrax is much higher than the stuff they did for MST3K.

You clearly haven't seen Troll 2 or The Room. To even mention the words "technical quality" along with those titles without prefacing it with "low", "terrible" or "absent" is madness. Definitely movies that could have been on MST3k.
shukri wrote:
Part of the fun in the original series was that the source movies were unintentionally funny in their own right.

Again, I refer to Troll 2 and The Room. Also the Twilight movies (regardless of "technical quality", Twilight is hilariously bad all on its own). And Battlefield Earth is a must see with Rifftrax (it has a budget and John Travolta, but that doesn't put it above anything you'd see on MST3k in any respect - hell, Travolta's extremely hammy performance is part of what makes it so hilariously bad...that and the script...and the camera work...and everything else about it).

shukri wrote:
They were lazy, unimaginative, cheap etc. Now, I too think the Star Wars prequels, Transformers etc were crap movies, but you cannot fault them on technique. Those were high budget affairs made by some of the best film producers around. These new movies fail on plot, and occasionally _slightly_ hammy acting, but there's no way you can compare a movie like Phantom Menace to Pumaman. The flying scenes in Pumaman are so bad that it _helps_ the riffs, and that's what missing I guess. I love Rifftrax, I'm not saying it's bad, just that MST3K's choice of the worst movies on earth gave it a special touch.

Watch The Room, Troll 2, Plan 9 from Outer Space (there are two riffs of that one), Reefer Madness and the Rifftrax shorts and then say that again.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 2:09 pm

Watch out for Snakes! Uuaghh.

I never saw MST3K when it was on(I was too young and had never heard of it) but recently(Like early Decemberish), I found it online and I find it absolutely hilarious. Of the shows I have ever watched, MST3K is one of my favorites. My favorite episodes is Space Mutiny.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2010, 3:23 pm

I watched it regularly on SciFi channel before the bastards shut it down in Sweden...

Anyway, there is something similar now for Games called "Unskippable".

Radiofixr
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2010, 11:01 am

MST3K was excellent--favorites are
Teenagers from Outerspace
any of the Hercules movies
Santa Clause Conquers the Martians
any Gamera movie.

"All this trouble from a fat little man in a red suit" Tom Servo asks "Truman Capote?"
"Oh too much chlorine"-Joel
"Yes you can be too rich and too thin" - Tom Servo
from Teenagers From Outerspace
"Only sunlight can break the rock of Uranus"-from one of the many Hercules movies

newtybajootie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2010, 9:59 pm

Great show, used to watch it both on Sci-Fi and Comedy Central. My top pics would have to be:

Manos, the Hands of Fate (gotta love Torgo!),
The Blood Waters of Doctor Z,
The Clonus Horror
The Final Sacrifice.

Now I'm gonna have to go watch one of them--thank you, NetFlix Instant View!

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2010, 12:19 am

newtybajootie wrote:
Manos, the Hands of Fate (gotta love Torgo!)

I take care of the place while the master is away.