Page 1 of 4 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

matrixluver
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Nov 2008, 9:36 am

First of all, if you've watched the show, it's pathetically obvious that Sheldon has Asperger's Syndrome but the creators don't dare label him for fear of outraging the ASD population, as it's a comedy. But as a person with AS myself, I LOVE the show because the comedy comes from that struggle between the NT's and the NERDs and the NERD WITH AS. I don't feel that anyone is making "fun" of Sheldon, just at the situations that ensue. What do you guys think?

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 1:03 pm

I agree, it's one of my favorite shows and Sheldon is my favorite character, followed closely by Howard.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 1:35 pm

Sheldon is an extreme Aspie; Leonard is Aspie as well, I think, but has made adjustments to the world. (Incidentally, Sheldon Leonard is also the name of a legendary TV producer, responsible for shows like "The Andy Griffith Show", its spinoff "Gomer Pyle, USMC", "The Dick Van Dyke Show", "I Spy", and "My World and Welcome To It".)

Rajnesh might be Aspie as well, and has had my single favorite line of the series so far (on his father wanting Raj to be a famous gynecologist, like him: "I can barely manage to look a woman in the eye!"); Howard seems more like a supremely misinformed nerd.

Penny's just cute. :)

OccamsIndecision
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Nov 2008, 2:57 pm

I've noticed, and I love the show.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 3:29 pm

The actor who plays Sheldon should be up for some Emmy awards, IMO.

Keith
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 4:01 pm

I'm glad someone else mentioned this as I was not sure. Saying that, it's on TV in the UK in a few moments. Or started by the time this is posted.

If Sheldon does have AS, does he know, and if he does, do his friends know? I've wondered this. Anyone else?

WurdBendur
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2008, 4:11 pm

It was obvious to me from the beginning, and I think it's portrayed relatively well without overemphasizing it too much.

jkennedy293
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Nov 2008, 8:45 pm

Its funny, because when I watched the show on Monday, my first thought was "Sheldon has AS", but I had doubts because I hsaven't seen a person with AS, since I first learned about it.

NeverMore8123

02 Dec 2008, 11:30 am

Yes I would say Sheldon has AS, it is one of my favorite shows and he is by far the most interesting character because I can relate to him so much. Things like picking one place to sit and wanting to only sit there in rooms or always following the same routine weekly "but it's Halo night!"

My favorite line of the series was when he went to Penny's door for one of the first time and she asked him "how do you think I feel!" and he replied with the best face ever: "hungry?" :lol:

I don't think they should come out and say he has AS because that would just add to the stereotype of people with AS all being savants, but that's just my opinion

"My boy that's all I make, which is why I'm such a lonely man."

HowlingMad1992
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Dec 2008, 2:13 pm

This is a very funny show

JordanAshley
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Dec 2008, 1:52 pm

I love Big Bang theory, and it's pretty clear that he is a aspie.

illogicaljim
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jan 2009, 10:34 am

I'm very much inclined to agree that Sheldon has AS, I can definitely relate to his obsessive tendancies, overly logical mind and complete obliviousness to basic social cues!

Severus Snape

ladyasd

04 Jan 2009, 12:56 am

I love Big Bang Theory too! Recognising myself in Sheldon was one of the things that led me to seek diagnosis.

dyscalculia
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2009, 6:42 am

ladyasd wrote:
Recognising myself in Sheldon was one of the things that led me to seek diagnosis.

wow that's awesome.

Alicat1989
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2009, 10:35 am

I love sheldon and he is an aspie its brilliant. I love that show so much i always watch the reruns

Sholf
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jan 2009, 11:04 am

I love Big Bang Theory, although at first I was pretty embarrassed to see that I share a fashion sense and some mannerisms with Leonard. It really just confirms my belief that I'm a nerdy guy with the wrong anatomy.