Watching a t.v. show only for the opening theme song...

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 7:11 am

Has anyone every watched a television only for its opening theme song, and not because you actually liked the show?

I remember watching Beverly Hills, 90210 only because I really liked the opening theme. I never actually cared for the show itself.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 7:20 am

I'm usually the other way around - hate the theme songs.

I only watch "Big Bang Theory" on DVD so I can easily skip past that terribly annoying theme song! In fact, I watch most shows on DVD and I skip past most shows' theme songs because I pretty much hate them all.

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

arecibo_
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jun 2010, 5:52 pm

Sparrowrose wrote:
I only watch "Big Bang Theory" on DVD so I can easily skip past that terribly annoying theme song!

dear god, that song is aural pain. :evil: What's worse is whenever I watch it with my sister and her friend (they love the show more than I do, but oddly for different reasons, they hate Sheldon :( ) they decide that they went to sing along with it EVERY SINGLE TIME.

AtomicKaiju
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 6:08 pm

I usually tune in to Cowboy Bebob just to hear the awesome intro. After it's done I just go back on the computer.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 9:24 pm

I have done this occasionally, but not so much anymore.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 10:01 pm

I used to watch 'The Tom and Jerry Comedy Show', just for the theme song, back in the Mid 80s

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2010, 10:03 pm

arecibo_ wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:
I only watch "Big Bang Theory" on DVD so I can easily skip past that terribly annoying theme song!

dear god, that song is aural pain. :evil: What's worse is whenever I watch it with my sister and her friend (they love the show more than I do, but oddly for different reasons, they hate Sheldon :( ) they decide that they went to sing along with it EVERY SINGLE TIME.

My downstairs neighbor is like that. She's VERY "Penny" and I think that's why she likes the show. I was loaning her various of my DVDs and getting a feel for what she liked and didn't so I'd know what else to loan her (as it turns out, her tastes are SO different from mine, it's hard to find something in my collection of 5,000 discs that she would want to see. She's always asking for "romantic comedies" and pretty much ran through my collection of those with "Bennie and Joon". I have "Romeo + Juliet" and "Moulin Rouge" but she said those don't count.)

But anyway, she went NUTS for "Big Bang Theory" and she's always asking if the next season is out yet. It's her favorite thing in my whole collection. And I can just tell that the things she loves about it are the exact opposite of the things I love about it. After all, we're talking about a woman who owns the entire however-many seasons of "Friends" on DVD. (I have never watched a single episode of "Friends." I saw about ten minutes of it and knew it was not for me.)

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 4:52 pm

Ever heard of Huntik. The show isn't that good despite some familiar voice actors but the theme song was quite good. There's also the theme song to Sonic the Hedgehog to which I have seen a few episodes but not enough to be a major fan.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 5:33 pm

My nana is a big fan of the show "Millenium", I think it's boring but I cannot get enough of that theme tune!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbDmhKK41kM[/youtube]

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Sep 2010, 5:43 pm

The remake of Hawaii Five-O's theme music is very much like the original.

sluice
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 5:50 am

I used to like to listen to ATHF theme. I haven't seen it for ages now.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 3:35 pm

I'm not sure why you'd watch the whole show only because you liked the theme song in the opening credits - why not just watch the opening credits and then switch to something else? But I used to watch LA Law in large part because I loved the opening saxophone riff at the start of the theme song.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 4:36 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
I'm not sure why you'd watch the whole show only because you liked the theme song in the opening credits - why not just watch the opening credits and then switch to something else?

When I was a kid, my parents restricted my TV time. I didn't have enough TV time to watch Gilligan's Island, but I would leave the TV on just long enough to listen to the theme song and then turn it off. My parents had to have a big discussion about whether watching the theme song of another show counted as going over my TV time or not. They finally decided it was okay and didn't count, so long as I turned the TV off immediately when the theme song was done.

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2010, 5:15 pm

ScrewyWabbit wrote:
I'm not sure why you'd watch the whole show only because you liked the theme song in the opening credits - why not just watch the opening credits and then switch to something else? But I used to watch LA Law in large part because I loved the opening saxophone riff at the start of the theme song.

I didn't do that. That was the point of my thread - watching only the theme song of a television show before changing the channel. I probably should have been more specific.

ScrewyWabbit
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2010, 1:07 pm

Descartes wrote:
ScrewyWabbit wrote:

I didn't do that. That was the point of my thread - watching only the theme song of a television show before changing the channel. I probably should have been more specific.

Fair enough, sorry for misunderstanding you :wink:

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2010, 9:41 am

The A Team