Let the right one in/ Let me in discussion

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 9:28 pm

So the remake of the Swedish film Let The Right One In (now called Let Me In for this US adaption) will be coming out in a few months and I have nothing but hatred for this "remake" the original film is one of my favorite films of all time (and the book the film is based on is one of my favorite books of all time) but this new film will be starring Chloe Mortez as Eli the only problem is she isn't playing Eli as the director and writers for the script decided to Americanize it changing the setting to america, Americanizing all of the characters and toning down the violence and other so called "controversial" themes. Another frustrating thing for me is the casting of Chloe Mortez because she is a great example of an Overacter (like Nic Cage) I mean it was fine in Kick-Ass but the problem is that it won't work with this role as the story is so character driven and the actors need to be as perfect as possible for the role and Chloe ABSOLUTELY IS NOT! I mean if you watch her other roles it is obvious she isn't a great actor. Here is the leaked audition takes of the three final actresses for the role doing two scenes

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9ySNRxG4SE[/youtube]

First is Ariel Winter (from Modern Family) than Chloe Mortez and then some third actress who I don't know but was absolutely terrible. First things first Ariel should have gotten the role hands down out the 3 actresses. I mean she wasn't perfect but out of the 3 she was the best. IMO she captured Eli's Maturity as well as her tormented soul due to her lost innocence that she wishes she had, She also captured the devious side of the character and especially her manipulativeness which is a major part of the story with Haikan and Oskar. I felt that Chloe captured the maturity of the character but that was all and not nearly enough and plus her overacting showed through as well. And that third actress was just terrible. I myself will not be seeing this film based on the casting, the censorship, and unnecessary plot and character changes.

tl;dr talk about The Swedish film Let The Right One In or the American remake Let Me In and also the book as well so it could all be in one thread.

Chantico
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Jun 2010, 9:34 pm

I thought it was a recent film- how come they're making remakes already? :S

The original was very good. I think making an Americanised remake is a bit unecessary (and insulting to Americans to be honest).

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 9:54 pm

Chantico wrote:
I thought it was a recent film- how come they're making remakes already? :S

The original was very good. I think making an Americanised remake is a bit unecessary (and insulting to Americans to be honest).

Yes I know! The original was amazing and in this american version they are going to censor it and change character details and the story. And the director of the original was incredibly upset and said "remakes should be made of movies that aren't very good, that gives you the chance to fix whatever has gone wrong. I'm very proud of my movie and I think it's great, but the Americans might have another opinion. The saddest thing for me would be to see this beautiful story made into something mainstream. I don't like to whine, but of course – if you spent years on painting a picture, you'd hate to hear buzz about a copy even before your vernissage!" And I completely agree and the original film came out 2 YEARS AGO! to me this film is demeaning to me as an american. Basically the director is saying that we can't handle the so called controversial matter in the original film that they have to edit the story and change the characters and plot to be more "fitting" for Americans.

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2010, 12:17 am

I'm so sick of remakes. But at least for most of them it's movies that are older and they want to introduce a new audience. But this is such a recent movie, and a great one, it does not need to be remade. They also remade [REC] a year after its release. They even remade Death at a Funeral, which was already in English, a few years after the original. There are many others but these ones come to mind because I really enjoyed the originals and refuse to see the remakes on principle.

I find it insanely irritating that they remake foreign movies instead of just showing them as they are. The remakes are almost always terrible.

newtybajootie
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jul 2010, 11:00 am

I am obsessed with both the book (in English translation) and the movie. They are masterpieces in my opinion. They had enough of an impact on me that I've set out to reread the book in the original Swedish (I've been studying Norwegian for a few years and fortunately the two languages are extremely similar).

I dread the inevitable horribleness of the American remake and feel like I need to undermine it by telling everyone who'll listen about how great the original book and movie are. I've loaned out my copies of each numerous times. I'm doing my part to minimize the damage the remake will do to the reputation of the original!

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2010, 3:22 pm

newtybajootie wrote:
I am obsessed with both the book (in English translation) and the movie. They are masterpieces in my opinion. They had enough of an impact on me that I've set out to reread the book in the original Swedish (I've been studying Norwegian for a few years and fortunately the two languages are extremely similar).

I dread the inevitable horribleness of the American remake and feel like I need to undermine it by telling everyone who'll listen about how great the original book and movie are. I've loaned out my copies of each numerous times. I'm doing my part to minimize the damage the remake will do to the reputation of the original!

Thats a good idea I might try to loan out some copies of the books so people don't judge it based on the film (like what happened with The Golden Compass *shudders*

gemstone123
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 4:05 pm

Yeah a remake seems totally unnecessary.

Time is a great teacher, but unfortunately it kills all its pupils ...

DNForrest
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2010, 11:24 pm

I liked the original a lot, so I'll give the English remake a chance. The Departed was an "Americanized" remake of the Chinese movie The Infernal Affairs, after all.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2010, 7:31 pm

I saw the original too, although slow at parts, and do think a remake is unnecessary.

The title "Let Me In" sounds bland and cheap.

Problems with the remake:

1.} "From the director of Cloverfield" {OMG, Cloverfield sucked, thanks to bad acting}

2.} The setting is in New Mexico. Vampires are allergic
to sunlight...get it right next time...my suggestion: New England

3.} The original was released 2 YEARS AGO!

4.} Is Hollywood running out of ideas?

5.} Most people see vampire movies associated with
the Twilight franchise, not the original movie.

6.} The majority of remakes SUCK!

Once "Let Me In" is released, I'll see it anyway,
to compare it to the original.