Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2004, 11:33 am

What do you think of the way that Autism and Asperger's are portrayed in the media?

I've watched the movie Rainman a few times durring my life and I don't believe that it's a very accurate portrayal. There might be people who are somewhat like him, but that's the Movies. I thimk that most people on the Spectrum are either Higher or Lower functioning than Rainman to a greater or lesser degree. I've told people about my Asperger's Syndrome and I had one person ask me if I did everything that Rainman did and than she asked me more questions, and the answers all ended up being, "No." I think that NTs have this set image in their heads about different disabilities and disorders and they are the ones who can't tell the difference between Fantasy and Reality.

Amy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2004, 12:25 pm

Its called ignorance.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jul 2004, 2:25 pm

The people who say that Ignorance is Bliss have no idea what they're talking about 8)

flamingjune
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

31 Jul 2004, 3:07 pm

Most of the portrayals I've seen seem closer to Fragile X Syndrome than actual autism and it annoys me to no end.

gavrod
Raven
Raven

01 Aug 2004, 3:48 am

Most people I've met with Autism and Asperger's Syndrome are nothing like 'Rainman'. Hollywood's portrayal of people with Autism leaves a lot to be desired, and indicates to me a fair amount of indifference and ignorance. Most of the movies I've seen with Autism related content are absolute garbage :!:

SOK
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2005, 7:19 am

I've never seen rainman, what is it about?

Dissenter
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

02 Jul 2005, 2:07 pm

SOK wrote:
I've never seen rainman, what is it about?

I see you're from England, it's on today on ITV at 10:30 PM.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2005, 2:44 pm

I think it's about time that someone showed those ignorant peoples what autism is realistically like, not just some stereotype of it.

theSPECTRE
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2005, 3:33 am

I am so sick of this sterotype crap! most people think just cause I have asperger's Syndrome I'm ret*d, they couldnt be more wrong. The funny thing is that I'm alot more intelligent than they are.

I will not say anymore because its gonna come out with alot of swearing.

-Tony Mantanna
-Scarface

Say Good Night to the bad guy - Tony Montana
-Scarface

MovieMogul
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2005, 8:49 am

Ironically, I'm out to correct this wrong.

I'm planning to make a film which will hopefully be able to enter into Sony Tropfest (for those who don't know it, it's the biggest short film festival in the world). Basically, I want the film to be a study of the idiosyncracies of Aspergers, shown in 7 minutes, about the life in the day of an Aspie.

If anyone wants to support this, feel free to suggest ideas of your experiences. Things I want to bring to this are the little details, like how an Aspie might deal with a neighbour, how they feel on a bus. Those moments.

I'm collecting a list based on my own experiences, but having viewed these forums, there are others that seem to have more intense moments than myself. I would like to include an instance of sensory overload by the film's end, if I can. It's not something I experienced myself, or at least to the level indicated by others. So any contributions on personal experiences would be personally appreciated.

I plan to direct it also, and I want to really put the audience into the characters mind. Show that confusion and alternate interpretation that we experience.

PS. Was Matt Damon's Will Hunting an Aspie or HFA? His technical memory was incredible and had poor empathy. He didn't seem to understand other's emotions, but in conflicting evidence, he did seem comfortable around the Minnie Driver character. Any thoughts on that? Yay or nay?

http://actionman133.isa-geek.net:8080/

earthmonkey
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jul 2005, 10:40 pm

Ignorance is only bliss when the person doesn't know about it.

--G. K. Chesterton, The Aristocrat

Assassin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 8:44 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
The people who say that Ignorance is Bliss have no idea what they're talking about 8)

Yes there ignorant thats why they say its bliss lol

<a href=http://s13.invisionfree.com/the_project>Project Legacy, building the future</a>

thatrsdude
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 8:51 am

To an extent, you do have to be ignorant to be happy. If you take life too seriously forever, you'll never be happy, because of Einsteins theory of relativity, so no matter what you do things will never be the way you want, so it's sometimes best not to think of those bad things.

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 12:08 pm

The media usually only touches upon low-fuctioning autism, and only ever briefly touches on AS. And even then, media sources like Time Magazine, Newsweek, USA Today, Wired, and various news stations refer to Autism as a 'disease', 'epidemic', etc.
Of course, I recently read a completely different, but equally small-minded interperetation in the newspaper by one columnist who basically said that people with AS were demanding and intolerant. The article's main pooint: recommending that professors with AS be rooted out of college campuses.

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2005, 12:30 pm

Yupa wrote:
The media usually only touches upon low-fuctioning autism, and only ever briefly touches on AS. And even then, media sources like Time Magazine, Newsweek, USA Today, Wired, and various news stations refer to Autism as a 'disease', 'epidemic', etc.
Of course, I recently read a completely different, but equally small-minded interperetation in the newspaper by one columnist who basically said that people with AS were demanding and intolerant. The article's main pooint: recommending that professors with AS be rooted out of college campuses.

This kind of thing pisses me off. "Diseases" should only be used in connection with pathogenic disorders that can spread from organism to organism, not conditions of any sort.

Some people with AS are demanding and intolerant, but not nearly all of them. There are compassionate and kind aspies (even here). Why should professors with AS not be allowed to teach at college campuses? Sure they can probably be very demanding, but many are also experts at what they do and have extreme amounds of knowledge that they want to transfer on to their students. :|

BeeBee
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2005, 10:19 am

According to an article I read, Supernanny consults an "autism expect" for a family she is working with. This show is set to air Nov 4th. I've never watched Supernanny but I'm interested in what what of expect TVland finds.

BeeBee