Page 3 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PHISHA51
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Aug 2011, 3:13 pm

The only movies I've seen that I liked about Autism were Adam, BenX and The Boy Who Could Fly. In the animated movie, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, The main character Flint Lockwood showed a couple signs that he might have Aspergers, even though it wasn't mentioned in the film.

angelik
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Aug 2011, 3:05 am

I have just seen the Flemish film Ben X (not to be confused with Ben 10) and I have to say I loved it. I identified a lot with the main character though I am much higher functioning. The thing I found more appealing was being able to relate to the bullying he receives in the movie. I have recommended it to all my NT friends and those that have seen it are really impressed with it. As a note play.com are selling it for £2.69.

My other favourite is Mary and Max, Its funny, sad, being lately diagnosed I was able to identify with Max a lot also. I think it really gets across the negative effects of having our condition, like those that suffer from major anxiety episodes when circumstances are strange or have changed.

AnonymousPasserBy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Aug 2011, 3:18 pm

WhenSunFalls wrote:
racheyrox77 wrote:
I thought BenX was pretty good. Although it was sad, Ben reminded me a bit of my brother. Its subtitled. I think it's in danish.

Flemish! It's Flemish (Dutch)!
BenX is a film from Belgium, based on a true story. The only thing that's plain different, is that - in real life - Ben really committed suicide.

I remember seeing that movie at school. The other kids in my class still looked at me funny for two weeks after that because they "saw me" in ben's character (I had no clue what autism was at the time).
Also: you live in my province :D Vlaams-Brabant yey! :wink:

JRae
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2011, 8:39 pm

[quote/]{Ugh, why do we need to take ASD so seriously? To me, mental disorders (for lack pf a better term) is the same thing as skin tone, it's not good or bad, it's just there. I'd love to see a romantic comedy concerning autistic people, so long as they don't pander to inaccurate stereotypes.

Also, I think you kinda contradicted your "serious condition" statement by saying that we can do anything just as well as neurotypical people. When I think Serious Condition, I think Cancer. You know, something that people DIE from[/quote]

I do have a question for you? Have you ever had a child that has autism? Or know of anyone that has this type of 'disability'? It is a serious thing. Unless you have experienced it, you have no room to talk. I have a young little boy that has autism. It is hard and great all at the same time. The organizational skills of these young people, or any people for that matter, are phenominal. It is a serious ailment. It is not 'life threatening' but it is a serious issue. There are things that people need to take care of, the sooner the better. If they are not diagnosed and they do not take proper precaution, it could damage the child. I am glad I had him tested, and he was diagnosed early, so I could get him the help he needs.
So, I have a question for you. Children in the school systems that have learning disabilities, and need more help with learning techniques, should just be thrown under the truck, because its not life threatening, so therefore, it can not be THAT important? Children are our future. We need to 'fix' whatever 'problem' they have. Learn the facts before you go discriminating against people andtheir 'disabilities'. What are you doing on this site, if you have nothing positive to say, and come in here saying we should not take this stuff so seriously. Live it, then you will know why we take it all so seriously. It is more serious than you think, apparantly. Research, honey, reasearch!

JRae
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Sep 2011, 8:44 pm

Temple Grandin was a great movie. Although, rainman made me laugh and cry all at the same time. Very neat movie! I am a huge fan of Temple Grandin! Any movie that is real life based, is a good movie, usually! ;)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2011, 9:22 pm

JRae wrote:
[quote/]{Ugh, why do we need to take ASD so seriously? To me, mental disorders (for lack pf a better term) is the same thing as skin tone, it's not good or bad, it's just there. I'd love to see a romantic comedy concerning autistic people, so long as they don't pander to inaccurate stereotypes.

Also, I think you kinda contradicted your "serious condition" statement by saying that we can do anything just as well as neurotypical people. When I think Serious Condition, I think Cancer. You know, something that people DIE from

I do have a question for you? Have you ever had a child that has autism? Or know of anyone that has this type of 'disability'? It is a serious thing. Unless you have experienced it, you have no room to talk. I have a young little boy that has autism. It is hard and great all at the same time. The organizational skills of these young people, or any people for that matter, are phenominal. It is a serious ailment. It is not 'life threatening' but it is a serious issue. There are things that people need to take care of, the sooner the better. If they are not diagnosed and they do not take proper precaution, it could damage the child. I am glad I had him tested, and he was diagnosed early, so I could get him the help he needs.
So, I have a question for you. Children in the school systems that have learning disabilities, and need more help with learning techniques, should just be thrown under the truck, because its not life threatening, so therefore, it can not be THAT important? Children are our future. We need to 'fix' whatever 'problem' they have. Learn the facts before you go discriminating against people andtheir 'disabilities'. What are you doing on this site, if you have nothing positive to say, and come in here saying we should not take this stuff so seriously. Live it, then you will know why we take it all so seriously. It is more serious than you think, apparantly. Research, honey, reasearch![/quote]

I have a six year old daughter who has a high functioning form of autism called Pervasive Developmental Disorder - Not Otherwise Specified (PDD-NOS), and I absolutely agree that special education is the key. My little girl just entered the first grade, in which she is in a special ed class of six kids, where she will get all the attention she needs.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 2:13 am

^

It wasn't JRae that said that. It was Sierra Stoneshield. Messed up the quote.

Her profile says she has asperger's. I wouldn't pay attention to her. Asperger's or not, she doesn't know what she's talking about. Sometimes things can work out quite well for people on the spectrum but it comes with many challenges.

dancing_penguin
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Sep 2011, 4:16 pm

I think the little boy in "Martian child" was probably an aspie, and thought it was a cute movie.

XsamX
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Oct 2011, 9:37 pm

dancing_penguin wrote:
I think the little boy in "Martian child" was probably an aspie, and thought it was a cute movie.
The little boy in the movie martian child didnt have autism or aspergers he got adopted and i cant reamber the full thing but because of this it made him fall into his own little world like blocking out the turth i do believe.

Madao
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

16 Oct 2011, 11:51 pm

The film Chocolate was pretty good. (It's on Netflix if you have streaming.)
If anything, it's a great action film. (Lots of insane stunt work and martial arts.)

Last edited by Madao on 17 Oct 2011, 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2011, 1:50 am

Rain Man is a great movie.

WhenSunFalls
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

17 Oct 2012, 8:53 am

AnonymousPasserBy wrote:
WhenSunFalls wrote:
racheyrox77 wrote:
I thought BenX was pretty good. Although it was sad, Ben reminded me a bit of my brother. Its subtitled. I think it's in danish.

Flemish! It's Flemish (Dutch)!
BenX is a film from Belgium, based on a true story. The only thing that's plain different, is that - in real life - Ben really committed suicide.

I remember seeing that movie at school. The other kids in my class still looked at me funny for two weeks after that because they "saw me" in ben's character (I had no clue what autism was at the time).
Also: you live in my province :D Vlaams-Brabant yey! :wink:

Oh my. I saw your comment just now. + 1 year too late.

On a different note... Anyone saw another good movie? I've seen most of the films that are mentioned.
I know a few titles, but can't find them anywhere on the net. So I'm waiting for a good one!

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2012, 7:30 pm

Jory wrote:
KenM wrote:
I have very mixed feelings about Adam. I thought it was one of the best portial of someone with AS I have seen. But because in the end, the women choose not to be with him, the movie sent the wrong message. I felt the movie said that people with AS can't have relationships. People with AS have enough trouble with relationships and having a movie that says we can't have relationships make it worse for us.

We don't need people thinking. "well, he has AS, like that guy in that movie, looks like alot of trouble. I won't even give him a chance."

If I remember the movie correctly, they didn't end up together because she needed to stay with her family and couldn't come with him when he moved for his new job. It's been awhile since I've seen it, though.

Yes, that's one of the reasons. But to me its pretty clear She did not want to be with Him because of His AS. His meltdown scared Her. I think His meltdown was extreme and that pushed Her away.

But if I knew nothing about AS and was thinking of seeing someone with AS and all I saw was that movie, I would think all people with AS act like that. I am not saying its right to think like that, but that is how most people think. So the movie is telling people not to bother to try and have relationships with someone with AS.

While not a movie about AS, Extrenely Loud and Incredibly Close: The main character Oskar is a positive character with AS.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2012, 4:08 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Don't laugh, but The Watchmen.
I believe Dr. Manhattan definitely comes across as high functioning autistic.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

We don't know enough about his old life. I think his blunted emotional affect and disconnection grown from his transformation into a god.

DancingDanny
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Oct 2012, 4:13 am

Barsine wrote:
Has anyone else seen Molly? It's about a low-functioning autistic woman who is surgically cured and then relapsed. It wasn't well reviewed but I liked it. It was one of the first things that got me thinking I might be a bit autistic.

That sounds a recycle of Flowers for Algernon.

ayla
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Oct 2012, 12:33 pm

Mary and Max is my favourite