Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

FredOak3
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Aug 2010, 2:12 pm

In a recent interview the actress that plays Astrid mentioned that her character in the alternate universe will have AS.

It will be interesting to see how we are portrayed in TV yet again.

buryuntime
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 2:33 pm

Meh. If they really wanted to portray it accurately they'd have someone that actually has AS.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 2:48 pm

If its on Fringe, it will probably be depicted as causing facial boils, growing a tail or having the ability to reanimate the dead. :roll:

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 4:56 pm

Or it could be an empath like Deanna Troi.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 4:59 pm

I find that I have patchy social skills. And that's something that sometimes catches people off guard, and it's something I have a little trouble understanding myself.

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 7:50 pm

Would be interesting i guess, given how the alternates have different mentalities anyway. Now that you mention it, her alt self did seem a bit aloof or stoic <shrug>. I think it would be more interesting if an autist walks into the room after having used it as his/her safe place for X years and has since read/seen everything done by Walter.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2010, 10:48 pm

Actually, even though Walter is supposed to be nuts, I had him pegged as being at least somewhat autistic.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2010, 9:04 am

Astrid? You mean Asteroid... eh.. Asterisk...uhm... whats-her-name? :D

Octoman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Aug 2010, 12:35 pm

That will be interesting to see how they depict the Autism Spectrum.

alex
Developer
Developer

07 Aug 2010, 9:14 am

that's an interesting take on the whole asperger's concept. having an alternate universe version of yourself with asperger's

PlatedDrake
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 12:51 pm

alex wrote:
that's an interesting take on the whole asperger's concept. having an alternate universe version of yourself with asperger's

Well, they've already shown the alt guy Olivia dated as being alive, her partner is growing spiders in his own body, etc. Though I imagine that the alt world will have a hell of a time time the original Olivia . . . they piss her off and, well, pyrokinesis is a b***h.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:17 pm

alex wrote:
that's an interesting take on the whole asperger's concept. having an alternate universe version of yourself withOUT asperger's

Fixed :)

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2010, 1:44 pm

Ichinin wrote:
alex wrote:
that's an interesting take on the whole asperger's concept. having an alternate universe version of yourself withOUT asperger's

Fixed :)

I imagine, in an alternate universe, I might be an as*hole jock with perfect coordination, but brainless and unimaginative.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

jayroo79
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2010, 10:10 am

They've already shown a little bit of alternate Astrid. Her association with Walternate may make her a bit difficult to enjoy if you are rooting for the original side to 'win'.

"Power is the reason that we all are fighting for, control your body, your soul and heart. Yes- some of us who surrender are like lambs to the slaughter; get the power & try harder to reach the next stage."
-SMT III

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2010, 11:54 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I imagine, in an alternate universe, I might be an as*hole jock with perfect coordination, but brainless and unimaginative.

Thinking about it in that way makes it scary!

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2010, 5:48 pm

I'm not going to expect much. Television portrayals of Asperger's have been for the most part underwhelming and not realistic or definite enough to really say that they have AS. Such characters are usually portrayed as NTish but being super geeky or intelligent (with unnatural quirks that feel forced on the audience). I'll believe it when I see it I guess.