Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

irishdutch21
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Feb 2011, 10:59 am

I really love Matthew Gray Gubler's character, Dr. Spencer Reid. His character is autistic and I think he does a good job of portraying autism. Who is your favorite movie/tv show character that is portrayed as autistic?

Kiran
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Feb 2011, 11:21 am

Spencer Reid is obviously an aspie, but is it ever mentioned in the tv-show?
My favorite has to be Lisbeth Salander in the Millenium movies. I just think it sucks that Aspergers is never mentioned in the movies, like it was in the books.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2011, 1:55 pm

i love that show!! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2011, 1:34 am

It was hinted at in the episode "Masterpiece" that Spencer had "Autistic leanings".

my two favorite characters Spencer Reid and Penelope Garcia.

Franklin
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Feb 2011, 11:54 am

I like Dr. Temperance Brennan from Bones... not sure if she's supposed to have Asperger's, but it seems to me like she does.

I liked Adam from the movie Adam. *shifty eyes*
I thought the book at the end was a real book... :lol: 8O

zephora
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

17 Feb 2011, 12:36 pm

Yep, I'd go for Temperance Brennan as well. My kids call me Bones particularly when I miss social clues completely! Lisbeth Salander is a great character too but the films didn't mention her probably being Aspie, I don't think.

I hadn't thought about Criminal Minds but - yes - looks a lot like an Aspie too.....

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Feb 2011, 7:50 pm

Titangeek wrote:
It was hinted at in the episode "Masterpiece" that Spencer had "Autistic leanings".

my two favorite characters Spencer Reid and Penelope Garcia.

Penelope is actually my favorite character, because she bears a striking resemblance to my wife; even dresses a little like her.

But my favorite autistic TV character is Sheldon Cooper, of The Big Bang Theory. Not only is he a capable, strong character, but he's funny because of his autistic quirks. We Aspies should be able to laugh at ourselves.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

chinatown
Toucan
Toucan

20 Feb 2011, 4:30 pm

Yes, I immediately fell in love with Spencer Reid. What's not to love about a socially inept nerd who just happens looks like a male model? Hawtness. Criminal Minds, as a whole, has become one of my favorite shows because it manages to avoid many annoying clichés (narcissistic main character, filler female character etc.)

I also like Sara Sidle from C.S.I. Too bad they went with the typical traumatized-as-child storyline, she could have been the perfect aspie.

arigato
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Feb 2011, 12:40 am

i love this show

it takes just one of Garcia to do what an entire CTU can do in 24, LOL
(which, that show also has a suspected aspie, Chloe)

Silhouette-Song
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Feb 2011, 11:24 am

I love that character! He is my all time favourite :D

zee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 5:00 pm

Reid and Garcia definately have aspie traits, or at least 'positive' aspie traits; I've yet to see either have a real meltdown, or do any stimming, etc. But I agree, it's a great combination of characters, and I love that they use inspiration from real-life cases.
(I often wish I was there with Reid to add my own true crime knowledge to his... esp. when he talks about the zodiac killer!)

abaisse
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 11:00 pm

I love Criminal Minds. My two cats are named from characters in the show. :D

Although, Autism is somewhat hinted at and MGG says he tries to play his character as having autistic traits, he's not officially written to be on the autism spectrum. The powers that be say he's a genius who is awkward because of the social isolation that his genius has caused him.

Ravenclawgurl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 1:02 am

omg i just read through a wikipedia that tommorows new episode will be featuring a child with autism and reid is going to be the one to connect with him!! !! !! !! !! !! ! this is a dream come true of episodes this is like all the fanfiction ive been looking for but its the real show ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

edit : oh and i just checked the source its true heres the description from the tv guide

REID'S CONNECTION WITH AN AUTISTIC CHILD COULD HELP THE BAU LOCATE THE BOY'S MISSING PARENTS, WHILE PRENTISS ENLISTS TWO FORMER INTERPOL COLLEAGUES TO HUNT AN OLD NEMESIS, ON "CRIMINAL MINDS," WEDNESDAY, FEB. 23

Read more: Listings - CRIMINAL MINDS on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/ ... z1EfHp01Jd

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2011, 2:19 am

Ravenclawgurl wrote:
omg i just read through a wikipedia that tommorows new episode will be featuring a child with autism and reid is going to be the one to connect with him!! !! !! !! !! !! ! this is a dream come true of episodes this is like all the fanfiction ive been looking for but its the real show ! !! !! !! !! !! !! !

edit : oh and i just checked the source its true heres the description from the tv guide

REID'S CONNECTION WITH AN AUTISTIC CHILD COULD HELP THE BAU LOCATE THE BOY'S MISSING PARENTS, WHILE PRENTISS ENLISTS TWO FORMER INTERPOL COLLEAGUES TO HUNT AN OLD NEMESIS, ON "CRIMINAL MINDS," WEDNESDAY, FEB. 23

Read more: Listings - CRIMINAL MINDS on CBS | TheFutonCritic.com http://www.thefutoncritic.com/listings/ ... z1EfHp01Jd

I'm really looking forward to this episode.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

astaut
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2011, 1:11 am

I like the show a lot. I always thought his character was definitely on the spectrum, but I never noticed it being mentioned (I'll have to check the "Masterpiece" episode). I totally have a crush on his character :lol:

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2013, 12:15 am

The episode to which you're referring isn't actually "Masterpiece", it's "Broken Mirror" from season one, the unsub describes Reid as having "autistic leanings". There was another more recent episode in season 8 entitled "Through the Looking Glass" in which the new character Blake hints rather blatantly to Reid that he's probably autistic; it made me so happy to see that, even though I'm not typically a fan of new characters, that totally made me like her. I really hope that one day they'll just come out and identify Reid as an aspie, he's my favourite character on my favourite show, and his autism is so blatantly obvious that it drives me crazy to have his team acting like it's not there.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!