Watched "The Big Bang Theory" tonight....

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

roygerdodger
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 9:58 pm

and I can say I was only half-impressed by it. Well, I do praise the acting, the storyline and jokes were a little predicable. Also, it's not as funny or exciting than other shows/movies about nerds, like the "Revenge of the Nerds" movies, "Family Matters", "Dexter's Lab", etc. But, other than that, "The Big Bang Theory" is just another example of TV shows that lack originality and creativity nowadays.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2010, 10:22 pm

hey dodger--------i am a big fan of bbt and would say to you that watching one episode is like jumping in on a a 'lost' storyline. bbt needs to be seen in a linear fashion to understand what's going on. the comedy is like a modern day marx brothers, so not everyone will like it.

big wide world, tv land is, lots of choices for everyone.

dramamama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2011, 12:54 pm

Big Bang is the most creative and unpredictable show on tv. I raised an ASD and have taught them for seven years as a drama social coach and Sheldon is a far better character than the poor kid on Family Matters...or the revenge of the nerds...talk about stereotypes! Sheldon isn't a stereotype, he's a fully developed and multi faceted character and LOVEABLE. Some one said that hot girls would not hang around those guys, i.e. Penny, but I disagree...my son is married to a babe, and she hangs around them because they are fun...in their own strange way.

zee
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 4:42 pm

I've only watched a little as well, but it seems like a fantasy written by male nerds (not aspies), for other male nerds...

(smart females are rare (4-5:1... hmm, sound familiar?), and of course they all have to be "hot babes", as the guy above this post puts it.)

Plus the guys who say I should watch it are... how should one say... not people I usually take advice from.

dramamama
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Feb 2011, 5:04 pm

There is NOTHING dumb about Penny. She is a trained actress.

Idiotchief
Toucan
Toucan

21 Feb 2011, 6:53 pm

Their not all nerds and geeks. Howard only has his masters.

MasterJedi
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2011, 7:25 pm

Do the nerds and geeks belong to someone?

Not all the geeks and nerds belong to him or her.

I still don't get it.

That is my spot, in an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0.

Bells
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Feb 2011, 10:30 pm

I like the show, but I think the reason I like the show so much is because unlike most sitcoms I understand the jokes in this show. Most of the time pop culture jokes go right over my head, but I'm one of the most classic examples of a nerd out there and BBT tends to play off of those interests considered standard 'geek' ones.

One thing that does frustrate me about the show is how frequently I get compared to Sheldon. Yes, I do exhibit some tenancies similar to him - as he is, imo, very much an Aspie, but I think the fact that he's in a sitcom and that those personality traits are overplayed makes it hard for me to go about some actions I would normally without having to defend myself that "No, I'm not acting like Sheldon Cooper, I just do have to sit in the same seat on the couch. Please stop pointing it out, I make a huge effort to put focus on this."

I'm sick of being compared to Sheldon...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2011, 4:20 am

Lest anyone accuse any of us of only liking The Big Bang Theory just because it has a character with Asperger's (Sheldon), I actually watched the show originally without knowing anything about it. And it instantly became my favorite sitcom.
Though admittedly, I picked Sheldon out as a brother Aspie immediately. 8)

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer