Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 10:10 am

I think most WP members would benefit from getting to know Lena Dunham's work. I recently searched for Ms. Dunham's name on WP and didn't find very much, which I think somewhat surprising.

For myself, I have seen her film Tiny Furniture, many (but not most) episodes of her HBO series Girls, plus stuff she has said and has been said about her on the internet. I haven't read her book.

What is interesting and unique is that she creates and then portrays characters that I believe have personality traits she shares, but are also different in that they apparently have no self-esteem whereas IRL I would say she does. In particular, she seems to have attracted a lot of haters on both sides of the gender divide and yet is very successful. A major criticism is that her characters e.g. Hannah Horwath are self-absorbed and don't have "real" problems that regular people can sympathize with.

One of the personality traits her characters exhibit is the ability to stick their foot in their mouth and invite ridicule from their "peers". I think any aspie can identify with that.

In particular, what partially inspired this post was the first few episodes of Season 4 in which Hannah goes to a Writer's seminar in Iowa. Her fellow participants quickly ostracize her, in particular they are offended by her tendency to let personal experiences enter into her work. Which is something Dunham has frequently done, so in this situation Hannah mirrors Lena and yet Lena has a detachment Hannah can't achieve. Is this what is meant by having a "alter ego"?

Anyway I do think the average aspie is more likely to respect Ms. Dunham's work than the general public. Thoughts?

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

09 May 2015, 10:33 am

I saw her on "Charlie Rose", and I was VERY impressed with her!! I agree that her character, is a reflection of herself.

As for:

"...Lena has a detachment Hannah can't achieve. Is this what is meant by having a "alter ego"?"

Well, I don't know if the "detachment" part, is an alter ego----but, I think "Hannah", in GENERAL, is the alter ego part.

As for the character getting ridiculed for putting herself in her work (something I'm just SURE happened to Lena, IRL), they always say: "Write wha'cha know", and I think she does that, VERY well.

alex
Developer
Developer

20 May 2015, 5:26 pm

Threre are definitely aspie characters in her TV show.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2015, 9:41 pm

alex wrote:
Threre are definitely aspie characters in her TV show.
For example?