intrigued by lil' wayne style of lyrics

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

d510g1c
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2011, 12:43 pm

anyone besides me find the style of lyrics by lil' wayne interesting. the NT people i talk to about this never seeem to care, they only care if it sounds good and never really listen the lyrics in music.

he is known for his many put downs and i realize he is quite conceided and the majority of his songs are knida shallow, but at the same there are two reasons i have much respect for his style of writing.

first of all he references marijuana quite a bit and i'm all for the complete legalization of the grass, personally i can't smoke it very often because it makes my asp more severe...maybe knowing that is a step to learning to better control it scientifically speaking.

the other thing i admire is his ability to continually take figurative figures of speech and interpretting them literally plus adding a smooth twist. the only aspect majority of people understand is the smoothness to it.. as a person who struggles with this type of thing daily i find this very entertaining....

"life is a beach i'm just playin' in the sand"
"yall a bunch of squares like a m*** f*** grid"
"we the sh** like fly food"
"been through alot of sh** this year but imma keep my head up like my nose is bleedin"
"shoot down the early bird and thats how i get the worm"

these are just a few examples i've picked out, many are too explicit to put on here but i like vulgar language so that may be another reason i like his music...

anyone else noticed this before?

an ASPIE

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 2:48 pm

Yeah. He's a genius. I love him too.

Zokk
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 3:04 pm

d510g1c wrote:
"life is a beach i'm just playin' in the sand"
"yall a bunch of squares like a m*** f*** grid"
"we the sh** like fly food"
"been through alot of sh** this year but imma keep my head up like my nose is bleedin"
"shoot down the early bird and thats how i get the worm"

Nothing against your personal taste or interpretation, but I don't see those as either clever or insightful, and certainly not as figures of speech (which I'm quite familiar with).

Listen to any other contemporary rapper out there, and you'll hear almost the exact same kinds of lyrics. All they seem to use is cheap metaphor.

purchase
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2011, 3:58 pm

Quote:
Listen to any other contemporary rapper out there, and you'll hear almost the exact same kinds of lyrics. All they seem to use is cheap metaphor.

I've got to disagree. Other rappers generally seem to use figures of speech superficially and not really think literally about them and take them to their logical and usually weird or ridiculous conclusions. For example, the "shoot down the early bird and that's how I get the worm" is pretty clever because everyone is spoon-fed and supposed to accept the idea that the person who's quickest and there first has an advantage, which yeah is generally true, but this lyric (not to write a dissertation on li'l' wayne lyrics, but...) reveals an even truer piece of wisdom, which is that things aren't always fair and even if you do your best to play by the rules and be first in line for something someone who does not play by the rules could take your hard-won prize from you by violent force...

Well now I've taken a badass lyric and done an English class-style explication of it, so pardon the nerdiness, but this is all to say that his lyrics are different and ingenious.

d510g1c
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Mar 2011, 5:34 pm

thanks for the explanation. and those are just a few i picked out. he has many lines much better than these. these were just a few examples.

you can't doubt lil' wayne he is amazing with words and extremely creative!! !

an ASPIE

ThePhantomN
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2011, 10:27 am

If you're into that kind of clever lyricism, you should check out MF Doom. The album Madvillainy (from Madvillain, his collaboration with the producer Madlib) is one of the greatest (and wackiest) hip-hop albums of the last decade.

There's also a rap duo named Das Racist that put out two really smart mixtapes last year, check them out:
"Me and Maya Angelou playin Double Dutch
She got a bubble butt
Said "I like you too" then we smoked two dutch
That's a double dutch my dude
I really like her views
Yes, you could say Angelou's my muse."