Page 276 of 413 [ 6594 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 273, 274, 275, 276, 277, 278, 279 ... 413  Next

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 7:25 pm

Starlight2001 wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
I watched both seasons of The Umbrella Academy, the second season being released just as I finished the first. I found it a very fun show.

I watched the first episode. It was dark and dreary and had no happiness or kindness in it. Does that change in later episodes?

If I remember right, the first episode is literally a funeral, of course it would be dark and dreary. I think that it becomes more fun as you get attached to the different characters. Luther is a dope, Diego has his silly parts despite the tough exterior he projects, Alison is a sweet and complex character, Klaus can be incredibly funny, Number Five is probably my favourite character as very fun, Vanya is a whole journey, and even Ben has more of a presence than first thought.

It is not a series that is all sunshine, but I think that it gets happier when the characters act as a family, not picking a fight at a funeral like happens in the first episode. Probably its most fun for the audience when it plays up absurdity, and kindness when it has the characters move past how they were kind of sh***y to each other at the start. So I would say that it changes in later episodes, but it also goes to some darker places, and shows some greater cruelty.

Starlight2001
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Aug 2020, 8:26 pm

Bradleigh wrote:
Starlight2001 wrote:
Bradleigh wrote:
I watched both seasons of The Umbrella Academy, the second season being released just as I finished the first. I found it a very fun show.

I watched the first episode. It was dark and dreary and had no happiness or kindness in it. Does that change in later episodes?

If I remember right, the first episode is literally a funeral, of course it would be dark and dreary. I think that it becomes more fun as you get attached to the different characters. Luther is a dope, Diego has his silly parts despite the tough exterior he projects, Alison is a sweet and complex character, Klaus can be incredibly funny, Number Five is probably my favourite character as very fun, Vanya is a whole journey, and even Ben has more of a presence than first thought.

It is not a series that is all sunshine, but I think that it gets happier when the characters act as a family, not picking a fight at a funeral like happens in the first episode. Probably its most fun for the audience when it plays up absurdity, and kindness when it has the characters move past how they were kind of sh***y to each other at the start. So I would say that it changes in later episodes, but it also goes to some darker places, and shows some greater cruelty.

I experience fiction, especially TV and movies, a bit differently than most people I know. Other people seem to be ok with graphic violence and killing in their shows and have more tolerance for the characters that do those things than I do. Number Five is interesting but after watching him kill all those guys in the diner near the end I really started to dislike him. I understand they started the fight but there are other ways to handle situations like that besides brutally murdering every single one of them. I didn't like Diego from the start and probably never will. Allison and Vanya are my favorites, which I could have predicted before seeing the episode as I generally like women better than men. Vanya is the one that really speaks to me as a lot of my interaction with people outside my family has been being outside already established groups. The thing that interests me about this show is the mystery. Questions like why were all these people born in the way that they were and why did the father want to adopt as many of them as possible. At this stage I'm not interested enough or invested enough in the characters to continue. Too many shows and movies these days are just darker than they need to be. I'm still deciding whether I'll continue watching Batwoman. A few of the first season episodes were disturbing. I'm fine with some darkness. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel were some of my favorite shows. Those ones had enough likable characters and positive emotions to keep me interested and I'm not sure that's the case here. Thank you for your response though.

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2020, 9:29 pm

Starlight2001 wrote:
I experience fiction, especially TV and movies, a bit differently than most people I know. Other people seem to be ok with graphic violence and killing in their shows and have more tolerance for the characters that do those things than I do. Number Five is interesting but after watching him kill all those guys in the diner near the end I really started to dislike him. I understand they started the fight but there are other ways to handle situations like that besides brutally murdering every single one of them.

I think what saved it for me was the thought that if Five had just time traveled there, how could someone follow him there? My thought being some kind of time police, and there was no just talking out the situation. There is also that absurd element I was talking about, where it just sort of feels surreal to see someone like him doing it, which helps the parts from ever feeling too real.

Starlight2001 wrote:
I didn't like Diego from the start and probably never will.

After the first episode I went through some general thoughts with my brother, who had seen the first season already, and asked me who I thought is the worst character. While Diego seems like an obvious choice, there is that odd element where despite hating their father so much he really seems to be the one most embodying the act like a hero idea, so clearly he has a big hero complex that goes beyond just picking fights. My prediction was that Luther would show himself as more of a problem. Diego grew on me, I think that there are also parts like he took Klaus with him at the end of the episode, so there is clearly a good guy in there.

Starlight2001 wrote:
Allison and Vanya are my favorites, which I could have predicted before seeing the episode as I generally like women better than men. Vanya is the one that really speaks to me as a lot of my interaction with people outside my family has been being outside already established groups.

Vanya certainly great, I love her sort of ostracized character, coming into her own, and most easy to empathise with.

Starlight2001 wrote:
The thing that interests me about this show is the mystery. Questions like why were all these people born in the way that they were and why did the father want to adopt as many of them as possible. At this stage I'm not interested enough or invested enough in the characters to continue. Too many shows and movies these days are just darker than they need to be. I'm still deciding whether I'll continue watching Batwoman. A few of the first season episodes were disturbing. I'm fine with some darkness. Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel were some of my favorite shows. Those ones had enough likable characters and positive emotions to keep me interested and I'm not sure that's the case here. Thank you for your response though.

I do think that you have to be expected to laugh at things like when a 90s boyband song suddenly plays during a serious fight, just like an emotional spreading of ashes undercut by rain and no wind. The second season also has a lot of themes like historic racism and homophobia. But I would not say that it is depressing.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 12:00 pm

I've been watching a series from New Zealand called The Cult. I don't like most of the characters, and find it difficult to care a lot about their fate, but it's reasonably watchable. 6/10.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 11:54 pm

The Alienist: Angel Of Darkness.
Perry Mason (new HBO series).

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2020, 11:55 pm

American Dad: "A Jones for a Smith"

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2020, 10:08 pm

A Shark Week 2020 TV special narrated by Kevin Conroy, known primarily as the voice of Bruce Wayne/Batman for many animated Batman movies.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2020, 10:26 pm

Half an episode of The Tudors

:queen: :queen: :queen: :king: :queen: :queen: :queen:

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 1:19 am

Stargirl.
Agents Of Shield.
Nosferatu.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 3:07 pm

episode 1 of the Hot Zone

so far, so good

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 6:51 pm

Real Time With Bill Maher.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 9:08 pm

We Bare Bears: "Teacher's Pet"

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2020, 9:43 pm

Lovecraft Country.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 3:15 am

Nosferatu.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2020, 4:50 pm

Another episode of The Tudors. I think Henry the VIII was a dick who brought misery to every woman in his life. His sister, his six wives, and his two daughters.

DeathEmperor413
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2020, 8:51 pm

A documentary on Netflix called "Empire Games". :king: