Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 1:49 pm

I am trying to find the title of a movie from the early 2000s. It seems that a couple of people weren't allowed to travel beyond a certain barrier at the edge of the city or so. They finally did and found themselves in a utopian future, being welcomed there by an older gentleman.

Any idea as to this movie?

AnanstrixG
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

19 Apr 2024, 1:58 pm

Only thing I can think of is Dark City. But not sure it matches all your criteria.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 2:19 pm

Thanks for the reply. Read the plot of Dark City on Wikipedia and that is not the one I saw. Sounds like a good movie and will have to check it out. Having a smart TV with with some streaming services (most of them free) has really opened up the world of entertainment!

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 2:50 pm

Do you remember any details about the movie? On Earth? Were they children? Was it a couple of people for the whole movie or did one show-up later? How did they travel? Were there robots? Was their a war? What was life like in the city? Was the city underground?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 4:49 pm

ProfessorJohn wrote:
I am trying to find the title of a movie from the early 2000s. It seems that a couple of people weren't allowed to travel beyond a certain barrier at the edge of the city or so. They finally did and found themselves in a utopian future, being welcomed there by an older gentleman.

Any idea as to this movie?
You may be thinking of Logan's Run.

However, the "Utopia" was inside the dome, and outside was supposed to be a legendary place called "Sanctuary".

Logan's Run is a 1976 American science fiction action film directed by Michael Anderson and starring Michael York, Jenny Agutter, Richard Jordan, Roscoe Lee Browne, Farrah Fawcett, and Peter Ustinov.  The screenplay by David Zelag Goodman is based on the 1967 novel Logan's Run by William F. Nolan and George Clayton Johnson.  It depicts a future society, on the surface a utopia, but soon revealed as a dystopia in which the population and the consumption of resources are maintained in equilibrium by killing everyone who reaches the age of 30.  The story follows the actions of Logan 5, a "Sandman" who has terminated others who have attempted to escape death and is now faced with termination himself.

Read the Complete and Unedited Article  HERE 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 5:01 pm

Aeon Flux? In Time? The Island? - There were a few movies in that period with similar premises, all taking massive 'inspiration' from the classic Logan's Run that Fnord suggested.

Any more detail you can provide will help.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2024, 8:12 pm

It wasn't Logans run. It was on earth. It seemed they only arrived 100 years or so in the future. Wish I could remember more

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 1:04 am

The setting for Logan's Run was on Earth, supposedly within a day's walking distance of Washington, D.C.

I wish you could remember more too.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ProfessorJohn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2024, 9:37 am

It was on earth and you thought it was in the present time. It feels like it was on the west coast of the US, and they main characters couldn't travel more than 30 miles out of the city, or something like that. When they did travel beyond that they found out they were then in the future. Will keep searching on the internet and hope to luckily hit upon it.

DirkGently69
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 7:51 pm

The only movie I can think of like that is The Village, an M. Night Shyamalan movie, 2004.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 8:09 pm

DirkGently69 wrote:
The only movie I can think of like that is The Village, an M. Night Shyamalan movie, 2004.
Wikipedia wrote:
In 19th-century Pennsylvania, a small, remote village lives in fear of nameless humanoid-creatures that inhabit the surrounding woods.  Staffed watchtowers and tall poles with oil lamps line the village perimeter for protection.  Also, the color red is banned, as it attracts the creatures.

Following a young villager's death, Lucius Hunt requests, and is denied, the elders' permission to travel through the woods and retrieve medical supplies from "the towns" to avoid similar tragedies.  Later, Lucius' widowed mother, Alice, questions his wanting to visit "the towns," which the elders describe as wicked.

The elders appear to have secrets, and each keeps a locked black box containing unknown items.  It is learned that as long as villagers avoid the woods, the creatures stay away.  Lucius secretly ventures into the woods, though he later tells the elders and claims it was safe.  Soon after, skinned animal carcasses appear in the village.  One night, the creatures enter the village, leaving red paint splashes on people's doors as a warning.

Elder Edward Walker's daughter, Kitty, fancies Lucius, but he loves Ivy, Kitty's blind younger sister.  Kitty marries someone else, which allows Ivy and Lucius to become betrothed.  Before they marry, Noah Percy, a young man with an apparent developmental disability, stabs Lucius out of jealousy.  As the elders consider Noah's fate, he remains locked in a small building.

Edward defies the other elders by sending Ivy, accompanied by two young males, through the forest to retrieve medicine for Lucius, who clings to life.  Before Ivy leaves, Edward tells her about his wealthy father's murder.  He then admits the creatures are actually the elders disguised as the monsters to perpetuate the legend so they can scare and deter younger members from leaving.  In the woods, the two boys become frightened and abandon Ivy.  She continues on alone and is stalked by a creature, which she tricks into fatally falling into a deep hole as it attacks.  The creature is Noah wearing a costume he found hidden under floorboards.  Meanwhile, Edward and his wife, Tabitha, unlock their box, which contains photos of themselves and the other elders when they were much younger.  The group is standing outside a modern-day counseling center, revealing that it is actually the early 21st century.

Ivy climbs over a high wall.  On the other side, she encounters a Walker Wildlife Reserve park ranger, who is shocked that she came from the woods.  Ivy gives him a list of medicines she must acquire.  The ranger gathers the medication without telling his supervisor, nor does he mention Ivy.

It is learned that Edward Walker, a former history professor, founded the village over two decades earlier.  He recruited people he met at a grief counseling clinic to isolate themselves from societal violence.  Edward's family fortune funds the wildlife reserve, built the village inside it, and even paid the government to make it a no-fly zone.

Ivy returns to the village with the medication, never seeing the modern world.  The elders' boxes are shown to contain mementos and other items from their earlier lives; their voices are heard recalling past traumas.  The elders gather around Lucius's bed after learning that Ivy has returned and that a monster (Noah) was killed.  Edward comforts Noah's grieving parents by saying that his death will enable them to continue the farce that creatures inhabit the woods.

This does not seem to entirely match the OP's description.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 10:07 pm

I used https://www.whatismymovie.com/ to figure out that the movie I've been trying to remember was Top Secret with Val Killer, not a spoof on WWII. If been trying for years to figure it out from basically just a see a scene with a German soldier turning to pottery as he smashed into the ground. It was one of the short list of options.