Page 1 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 8:46 am

KyleTheGhost wrote:
What is going to happen now? In season 5? Will Howard get married? Will Leonard and Penny get back together? Should they get back together?

Apparently they've renewed it for three more years. Frankly, after watching some episodes of the fourth series so far, I'll be surprised if they make it past the fifth season.

On sabbatical...

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 8:52 am

Quatermass wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:
What is going to happen now? In season 5? Will Howard get married? Will Leonard and Penny get back together? Should they get back together?

Apparently they've renewed it for three more years. Frankly, after watching some episodes of the fourth series so far, I'll be surprised if they make it past the fifth season.

You think it is losing its charm?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 10:05 am

Quatermass wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:

i thought the show would wear out it's novelty value and become a bit hackneyed after one or 2 seasons.

i was only mildly in agreement as to the speculation that the "sheldon" character is modeled on AS (that i have seen on this site) until an episode i saw the other night.

it seems quite likely to me that the character is based on AS now because the script the other night included him animatedly describing a fun park comprised of train carriages (which he proceeds to describe in intricate detail (model number, year of build, historical significance, route history etc)) that he was going to attend. it seemed to me to be a rather thinly veiled allusion to AS.

i am irritated at the script writers increasingly frequent resorts to those "bazinga" moments. there was one episode where he was immersed in a pool of colored plastic balls with another cast member who was trying to catch him, and the sheldon fellow kept popping up at different points in the pool saying "bazinga", and my attention snapped like a rubber band and the channel was changed immediately (i had the remote in my hand perchance).

they have explored it all. will the "sheldon" person ever have sex? no, because that would distort the character to the point where it's definition would be lost (or at least compromised severely).

the show seems to be about him mainly, and the blonde girl (mandy?) secondly, and the others are important, but not focal.
she calls him "sweetie", and that is designed (i think) by the writers to always leave a small hope that the ultimate resolution at the end of the series will be that the sheldon character and the girl are "together" (as it were).

if that ever happens (ultimate AS is stirred by ultimate NT, and ultimate NT is stilled by ultimate AS), then the show will have to conclude at that point.

it seems to me after consideration the other night, that as much as he is portrayed as AS, she is portrayed as NT. they both have no fundamental attraction to each other, but they also seem to have a common bond that neither of them are aware of, but both are almost innately influenced by.

it almost seems to be a dichotomy with her at the NT side, and the sheldon bloke at the AS side, with the rest of the cast draped in the space between.

i do not think the show will last for 3 more years. i think it's freshness of ideas will fizzle out, and the scripting will become trite, and the show will be canceled about a year from now (unless they run it into the ground to get a few more months out of it).

i have not much interest in it really. it is usually on in the background while i am attending to spreadsheets at that time of the evening, and the remote is usually somewhere that i can not be bothered to locate, so often my attention is distracted toward the show and i watch entire segments from where my attention was snared, all the way to the next ad break sometimes.

anyway that will do.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 3:08 pm

I actually liked the ball pit scene, with Sheldon popping up here and there, each time exclaiming, "Bazzinga!" 8)

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 4:16 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
I actually liked the ball pit scene, with Sheldon popping up here and there, each time exclaiming, "Bazzinga!" 8)

People either seem to hate it or love it. I personally hate it.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 6:35 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
Quatermass wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:

You think it is losing its charm?

I think it's getting tired. Season 3 was pretty much the pinnacle, or at least so far, and three years is excellent for a TV series. It'd take some significantly good writing to stay at the top. Or, as far as I can tell with Season 4, to get back to the top.

pree10shun wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

People either seem to hate it or love it. I personally hate it.

I love it. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skQGve3XksU[/youtube]

Bazinga.

But I personally prefer Sheldon trying to smile. :)

On sabbatical...

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 6:42 pm

I have to admit, out of the series 4 episodes seen so far, I've really only enjoyed two: The Zazzy Substitution (where Sheldon and Amy 'break up' and Sheldon adopts a bunch of cats) and The 21-Second Excitation (involving a screening of Raiders of the Lost Ark with an extra 21 seconds, Wil Wheaton being an a-hole again, and Sheldon...well, you'll have to wait and see).

On sabbatical...

LadySera
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

31 Jul 2011, 1:52 am

I used to be a huge fan when it first started but hadn't been watching it as much during the most recent season because I disliked that they had seemed to make everything about the characters dating each other. I have been starting to get into it again recently though. I have noticed sometimes when watching it with others that they won't get all of the jokes and then they look at me to explain them. I'm a fan of all of the actors aside from Leonard's girlfriend but I assume that she's supposed to be unlikable, for effect. I don't want you guys to throw things at me but I think that they tend to overuse Sheldon sometimes. I do normally enjoy him though. I dislike driving, so I don't, and I sometimes think of the episode about Sheldon trying to learn to drive but then he quits and says something like "I'm too smart" to drive, which I wish is what I could tell people.

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 3:43 pm

Gawd no, bbt is still way funny. i like the characters, the storylines are just whatever to drive the funny parts.

also, i really like the girls. Bernadette and amy are way funny.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2011, 3:52 pm

TechnoMonk wrote:
Gawd no, bbt is still way funny. i like the characters, the storylines are just whatever to drive the funny parts.

also, i really like the girls. Bernadette and amy are way funny.

Ditto.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 6:39 am

...Bazinga.

Oswald06
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Aug 2011, 9:11 am

I love this show. Sheldon is the show. If you took him out, the show wouldn't be half as good.

markun
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

03 Aug 2011, 3:50 pm

I enjoy it and often watch the DVDs but I find the dating and relationship aspect of it boring and I hate when they do that to sitcoms; they turn them into soap operas with jokes.

I actually envy the people though, they have their social circle which is very safe and predictable and sometimes I wish I had that.

alhna
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 Aug 2011, 11:50 pm

I think I should try to watch it again. Not really surprising, I suppose, that some years ago I tried and found it oddly disturbing. I felt put off by Sheldon, don't even doubt it. I think now I should try watching it again, with a different eye. I'm quite the typical nerd girl, and I think I'm the only nerd I know that hates the show. So probably I'll be back here, after trying again to watch it.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2011, 2:30 am

alhna wrote:
I think I should try to watch it again. Not really surprising, I suppose, that some years ago I tried and found it oddly disturbing. I felt put off by Sheldon, don't even doubt it. I think now I should try watching it again, with a different eye. I'm quite the typical nerd girl, and I think I'm the only nerd I know that hates the show. So probably I'll be back here, after trying again to watch it.

It took time to grow on me too.

On sabbatical...

MattD
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Aug 2011, 7:19 am

I like this show but i agree there has been a decline in quality.

Here is my favourite scene.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zIY6DQSlbY[/youtube]