Page 3 of 4 [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

T1nd1v1dual
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

06 Aug 2011, 8:38 pm

I sort of had to watch it in my Social Skills class during 10th and 11th grade because my teacher thought the characters were like me and my other 'mates and didn't really care for it much at first, but later when I watched it on TV on my own terms, I began to gradually enjoy it, then rented the first season from the library and it's my favorite show on TV now (only watch a few, if any on a regular basis).

E27
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Aug 2011, 2:14 pm

There are only 44 days left untill the big bang theory season 5 premiere.

Guilliman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Aug 2011, 11:54 am

I love it, Sheldon is my hero! My life's been horrible and I'm noticing the more I put in order and structure into my life, the happier I get. I made a monthly menu with two "anything-can-happen Sundays" and I'm loving it.

I watches every season more then 6 times already, and I'm now watching them again, twice in a row! I can't wait to get back to school though, the vacation is killing me. I just have to get past my pathological fear of people and I'll be good!

"Just a toy robot..?" *runs to his room*

Melpomene
Raven
Raven

19 Aug 2011, 9:59 am

Big fan here. I got turned onto the show when a couple of friends of mine said I should check out 'the crazy guy who remembers specific dates as well as you do!', a.k.a. Sheldon. I won't flatter myself by extending the comparison any further, but every now and then characteristics of Sheldon pop up and I find myself relating very strongly to him. I do think the show was stronger during the first two series, although the scenes with Penny, Bernadette and Amy as the unlikely 'BFFs' more than make up for the decline of scientific references IMO.

"I need to determine where in this swamp of unbalanced formulas squaddeth the toad of truth."

b9
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 11:08 am

i am still watching (because it is on after "a current affair" that i watch when i am eating my dinner) the series but it is going nowhere.

if the sheldon character was so smart, then surely he would be starting to earn accolades and money by now, but he seems locked in a perpetual state of frantic thoughts about irrelevant things, and i can not see what he actually does to keep his job.

it seems to me that his "genius" is largely ignored by the faculty of the establishment he works for, and there is never any indication in the plot lines that what he contributes to the public field of knowledge is of any value.

if the series was to continue indefinitely, then it would become apparent that the sheldon character will never amount to anything, because there is no suggestion of success for him in the storylines as they currently are written.

whatever. the series is doomed.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 1:00 pm

b9 wrote:
i am still watching (because it is on after "a current affair" that i watch when i am eating my dinner) the series but it is going nowhere.

if the sheldon character was so smart, then surely he would be starting to earn accolades and money by now, but he seems locked in a perpetual state of frantic thoughts about irrelevant things, and i can not see what he actually does to keep his job.

it seems to me that his "genius" is largely ignored by the faculty of the establishment he works for, and there is never any indication in the plot lines that what he contributes to the public field of knowledge is of any value.

if the series was to continue indefinitely, then it would become apparent that the sheldon character will never amount to anything, because there is no suggestion of success for him in the storylines as they currently are written.

whatever. the series is doomed.

That's actually pretty common for a person with Asperger's to just spin his or her wheels without getting anywhere. And it's typical of NT's to just dismiss an Aspie, no matter how brilliant, simply because of eccentricities.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2011, 1:16 pm

I understand people here latching onto a show with a (probably) Aspie character, but The Big Bang Theory does nothing to abate my utter disdain for sitcoms. The best thing I can say about it is, "Well, at least it's not Two and a Half Men." Would people pay to see this crap in a theatre? I doubt it. But it's free, so I guess standards are lower. I just hope you guys aren't buying the DVDs. Take that money and give it to an orphanage instead. Or cancer research, they haven't cured that yet. Or buy a bucket of paint and spruce up the kitchen. Anything. For the love of humanity.

Nereid
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2011, 2:46 am

I've seen bits and pieces of the show, but the writing seems pretty crappy and pulls cheap unfunny jokes out of nerd stereotypes and pining over some blonde. I dont understand its popularity. One of those shows where you take away the laugh track and see how "funny" it is.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 2:50 am

Nereid wrote:
I've seen bits and pieces of the show, but the writing seems pretty crappy and pulls cheap unfunny jokes out of nerd stereotypes and pining over some blonde. I dont understand its popularity. One of those shows where you take away the laugh track and see how "funny" it is.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmLQaTcViOA[/youtube]

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 3:03 am

What if you hate the show? What if your sister loves it? What if you don't like things that "grow on you"?

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 3:10 am

shrox wrote:
What if you hate the show?

You have good taste.

shrox wrote:
What if your sister loves it?

She has bad taste, and she's a bad person.

Just kidding, at least about the second part.

shrox wrote:
What if you don't like things that "grow on you"?

Do you mean that you didn't like it at first, but now you do? Depends. If you started liking it just because other people liked it, you're a bangwagon jumper. If you started liking it simply because your tastes changed, then that's fine. It still means you have bad taste, though. :P

But hey, I like Godzilla movies, so nobody in this thread should take me too seriously when I say they have bad taste for liking this stupid show.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2011, 6:12 am

I personally think it's the best American sitcom, though considering the competition, it doesn't have to try too hard. Personally, though, I am finding series 4 to be a bore, as noted before. Only a few episodes interest me, whereas there were far more in the previous seasons.

And as for saying that liking The Big Bang Theory means that one has bad taste, well, I think that your experience is limited.

THIS is bad taste.

I personally feel that The Big Bang Theory is on a par with some British sitcoms. Not amongst the best, certainly, but it's on a par with The Young Ones and Bottom, at least.

On sabbatical...

shadowmage
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Aug 2011, 9:37 pm

I think the big bang theory is great. I for one like it.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 12:21 am

shadowmage wrote:
I think the big bang theory is great. I for one like it.

I never miss and episode.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 5:42 am

I've become decreasingly interested in the show, it's starting to feel like every other sitcom out there.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2011, 9:50 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
That's actually pretty common for a person with Asperger's to just spin his or her wheels without getting anywhere. And it's typical of NT's to just dismiss an Aspie, no matter how brilliant, simply because of eccentricities.

well i have made money from my simplistic intelligence. i wonder how i could be earning more than him considering he is portrayed as being many times more intelligent than me.

if one spins ones wheels, then one does not continue to press the accelerator in the hope that grip will eventuate at some point if they are smart.

a smarter person will infuse as much thrust as is easily calculable to apply to deal with the situation at hand.. and no more.

i can see easily where my efforts are in vain, and where my efforts prevail.

i always head in the direction of where i want to think, and i always am satisfied with where i am taken if i do that.

language and describability falls away after a certain "spiritual altitude", and from there i can just "see". i can not translate it into language, but i can simply "see".

no television show and no actors can portray the reality of my particular situation, and i will remain alone until i die. then i will not be alone. i will not be.