Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 3:15 pm

I seem to be the only huge fan of the 1982 version of The Thing who is actually optimistic about this prequel. It's one of two movies this year (along with Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows) that's actually going to get me out of the house and into a movie theatre.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHzlAjpDSEM[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 3:52 pm

I'm suddenly excited to see it, too! Do you have a release date?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 3:54 pm

October 14. My birthday.

Clearly, they made this movie specifically for me.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 4:06 pm

Jory wrote:
October 14. My birthday.

Clearly, they made this movie specifically for me.

Hell, my wife and I will go see it for Halloween!

Xeno
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 5:45 pm

At first I thought "Oh come on, not another remake!", but then I saw that it's a prequel. Well, I don't know why they didn't give it a different name, but it does seem worth checking out!

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 6:15 pm

Xeno wrote:
At first I thought "Oh come on, not another remake!", but then I saw that it's a prequel. Well, I don't know why they didn't give it a different name, but it does seem worth checking out!

I’m actually glad that they’re just calling it The Thing. It’s a simple title that works, and there’s little chance that anyone will confuse the two movies since it’s been 29 years since the original. Giving it a stock prequel title like The Thing: The Beginning or The Thing Rises would have been awful, and besides, sequels today aren’t even marketed with their subtitles. The announcer in the Tron: Legacy trailers just says “Tron.” Same with “Indiana Jones” and “Pirates.” This movie would have been sold as “The Thing” regardless of the full title.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jul 2011, 9:20 pm

It can't be a prequel if the cast speaks English. The scientists who found the Thing first were Norwegian.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2011, 9:25 pm

kxmode wrote:
It can't be a prequel if the cast speaks English. The scientists who found the Thing first were Norwegian.

Based on everything I've read, the cast is mostly Norwegian and their dialogue will be subtitled. They just threw in a couple of American faces to make it more sellable. It does create a plot hole, but it was probably a necessary compromise.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Jul 2011, 9:27 pm

Jory wrote:
kxmode wrote:

Based on everything I've read, the cast is mostly Norwegian and their dialogue will be subtitled. They just threw in a couple of American faces to make it more sellable. It does create a plot hole, but it was probably a necessary compromise.

"Matthijs's film will take place right before the first film, with the original Norwegian crew that discovered the alien, joined by Americans whose presence was unmentioned in the original film." Wikipedia article

"Taking place three days before the events of the John Carpenter film, Paleontologist Kate Lloyd (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) and her two assistants Davida Morris (Davetta Sherwood) and Adam Goodman (Eric Christian Olsen) join a Norwegian scientific team that has stumbled across a crashed extraterrestrial spaceship buried in the ice of Antarctica. They discover a creature that seems to have died in the crash eons ago."

"Many scenes involving characters speaking Norwegian will be subtitled, and the language barrier between them and the English speaking characters is exploited to add to the films feeling of paranoia."

Interesting. I remember The Thing was the one movie I simply couldn't watch when I was young and I still have a hard time watching it today. For that reason I'm not watching this film, but the story is interesting all the same. It reminds me of a really mean version of the Andromedia Strain.

danandlouie
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2011, 1:45 am

thank's for posting that. it seems to be the same film as the second 'thing', only with a chick.

i like the original thing, with james arness. it was very camp. very 50ish.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 6:11 pm

The red band trailer has arrived:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHFFuMZv9VA[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 6:33 pm

Jory wrote:
The red band trailer has arrived:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHFFuMZv9VA[/youtube]

Now, we definitely have to see it for Halloween!

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 6:41 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

I know, it looks fantastic. But you'd never know it by the utter hatred directed toward it by pretty much every movie website on the net every time they post news about it. Seriously, if you want to read endless complaining about how CGI is ruining horror movies, just do a Google search for this movie. It's not just the typical idiots in the comment sections. The people running the sites and posting the articles are treating this movie like it's pro-Hitler propaganda or something. I get more and more disillusioned with my fellow movie geeks every day. This movie looks great.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

19 Sep 2011, 6:49 pm

Jory wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

I know, it looks fantastic. But you'd never know it by the utter hatred directed toward it by pretty much every movie website on the net every time they post news about it. Seriously, if you want to read endless complaining about how CGI is ruining horror movies, just do a Google search for this movie. It's not just the typical idiots in the comment sections. The people running the sites and posting the articles are treating this movie like it's pro-Hitler propaganda or something. I get more and more disillusioned with my fellow movie geeks every day. This movie looks great.

Well, you know, opinions are like as*holes - everyone has one.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 2:41 pm

Clips! The first one is just a false scare, but the second one's a lot better. It shows off the paranoia that made the 1982 film great, and that the language barrier between the Americans and the Norwegians is going to be a factor here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBUHM9Z-iMY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0MaiRGrExY[/youtube]

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 6:03 pm

Jory wrote:
Clips! The first one is just a false scare, but the second one's a lot better. It shows off the paranoia that made the 1982 film great, and that the language barrier between the Americans and the Norwegians is going to be a factor here.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBUHM9Z-iMY[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0MaiRGrExY[/youtube]

Couldn't help but notice the background music sounds like the old movie's.