Okay, for this upcoming Planet of the Apes prequel

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2011, 11:58 pm

... am I the only one who really hopes they include Bonobos? It seems like it'd be a nice addition to the franchise. Given that Rise of the Planet of the Apes is going to be closer to the original film series than the 2001 remake, it'd be nice to see the Bonobos as the apes pushing peace*, as we all know that Common Chimpanzees are pretty damn violent.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0tAQcpLILQ[/youtube]

*In the original film series, if I'm not mistaken, it was (I assume "Common") Chimpanzees protesting in favour of peace with the humans as the Gorilla war Machine marched on. Real (Common) Chimps are insanely violent, war-making, and brutal. Bonobos are more peaceful, although I do know that some suggest that the "peacefulness" of Bonobos has been grossly exaggerratted. Bonobos do, for instance, hunt other animals a lot more than was initally assumed.

JohnOldman
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Aug 2011, 12:10 am

When I saw "Planet of the Apes" in the title to this thread, I thought it was a play on "Planet of the Aspies" and you were calling us apes!

I think I need to go to bed now. (It's after 1am in my timezone)

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 6:49 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing!! ! I am keeping my fingers crossed for at least a glimpse of a bonobo!
They always get missed out, people seem to forget they even exist. :?

Lecks
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 8:21 pm

I wouldn't be able to distinguish a bonobo from a chimp and I don't think most people would either. It would be interesting though, as you said, seeing bonobos advocating peace, offering an opposing view to the apes and giving Semos opposition from within the ape ranks.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2011, 11:26 pm

Okay, there weren't any Bonobos in this film. I sure hope the invade the San Diego Zoo (this film was set in San Francisco) next film and free some Bonobos.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 12:42 am

I saw the film today and liked it. I don't remember enough about the original series to compare this film with.

I recommend this film to anyone who wants an ape planet introduction since it starts at the genesis instead of middle or conclusion.

Less confusing that way. I will definitely go see the sequels.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2011, 9:42 am

I find it odd how anyone can get chimps and bonobos mixed up, they're so different!

Also, I am disappointed they aren't included, hurumph! But I am still MEGA MEGA excited for the film.

Master_Pedant
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 1:53 am

MONKEY wrote:
I find it odd how anyone can get chimps and bonobos mixed up, they're so different!

Also, I am disappointed they aren't included, hurumph! But I am still MEGA MEGA excited for the film.

Bonobos and Common Chimpanzees only split 2 million years ago or less. Most of the differences between the two species are largely behavorial, in spite of the slighter build, smaller skulls, and longer limbs of the Bonobos.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 8:21 am

Master_Pedant wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

Bonobos and Common Chimpanzees only split 2 million years ago or less. Most of the differences between the two species are largely behavorial, in spite of the slighter build, smaller skulls, and longer limbs of the Bonobos.

I know, I mean they're easy to tell apart.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 6:29 pm

MONKEY wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

Im more aware of primates than the average movie goer, but I dont think I could tell a bonobo from a chimp in a flash card test. So Im impressed if you can do that.

The original Charleton Heston movie had chimps, gorillas, and oranguatans, all dressed up in splendid medeaval human type costumes. Many riding horseback.

Bonobos were not on the radar screen then even among scientists.

The teasers of the current movie show chimps, and gorillas, but no orangutans.

Maybe oranguatans are just too comical. Thanks to Clint Eastwood and his Dunsten movies the public just cant take Orangutans seriously anymore.

The trouble with introducing bonobos into the film is that it would turn the movie into a X'er if not a triple X'er. They would promote peace by inviting members of each of the fueding parties to join in interspecies sex orgies.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 10:49 am

I'm not interested in planet of the apes, and never will, but man, I am interested in Bonobos now.

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 7:07 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
MONKEY wrote:
Master_Pedant wrote:
MONKEY wrote:

Im more aware of primates than the average movie goer, but I dont think I could tell a bonobo from a chimp in a flash card test. So Im impressed if you can do that.

The original Charleton Heston movie had chimps, gorillas, and oranguatans, all dressed up in splendid medeaval human type costumes. Many riding horseback.

Bonobos were not on the radar screen then even among scientists.

The teasers of the current movie show chimps, and gorillas, but no orangutans.

Maybe oranguatans are just too comical. Thanks to Clint Eastwood and his Dunsten movies the public just cant take Orangutans seriously anymore.

The trouble with introducing bonobos into the film is that it would turn the movie into a X'er if not a triple X'er. They would promote peace by inviting members of each of the fueding parties to join in interspecies sex orgies.

There are orangutans in the new film fortunately. And the CGI is VERY good when it comes to their faces.
And you have a point with the X-rated bonobos, I wouldn't be able to take the film seriously when there's all horny bonobos going at it everywhere while the chimps are fighting and stuff.