02 Nov 2011, 10:46 am

Gintama

Mitsudomoe

Beelzebub/Fairy Tail

Poet_Morpheus
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Nov 2011, 8:34 pm

Ghost in shell, neon genesis evangellion, and deathnote.

not in any particular order.

Concretebadger
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Nov 2011, 1:45 pm

Ouch. Hard decision. >_< I ought to go for stuff I can watch again and again and still enjoy/notice new things.

Macross Plus

Kara no Kyoukai

The Place Promised in our Early Days

Or substitue one of those for "anything directed by Satoshi Kon."

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2011, 4:15 pm

My top 3 is pretty mainstream:

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion
2. Cowboy Bebop
3. Ghost In The Shell: Stand Alone Complex

I think I've explained my preference for these three shows elsewhere on the forum... but I'll repeat it here in short: Ghost In the Shell: SAC is just fine for the themes it explores on the subject 'What is identity?' and how it speaks about the line between man and machine, organics and technology, the brain and computers. Aside from that, it features great action, and even if not all the characters from the Section 9 team are fleshed out in an equally elaborate manner, the main ones (Kusanagi, Batou, Togusa) are very compelling.

Cowboy Bebop is awesome because the main characters basically AREN'T heroes. Yes, they do very heroic things in each episode, more often than not out of a true sense of justice. But what I like is that their motivation is not to be heroic, but simply to collect their bounty as bounty hunters, so that they can eat another day. It's like watching real people, with real-life problems, even if they are bounty hunters on a space ship. In that regard, it reminds me of Red Dwarf, though the main characters in that aren't bounty hunters. Also, again, the action scenes in this one are CRISP! That goes for the space battles as well as the hand-to-hand fights and shoot-outs. And last but not least props to Yoko Kanno for the great soundtrack.

Neon Genesis Evangelion.... I just recognise sooo much of myself in the main characters. Rei is almost exactly how I used to be as a teenager. I love the Shinji/Misato relationship. I love the story and the course it runs from start to finish. I think both the final two episodes, and End Of Evangelion are beautiful, if unconventional. I just have mad love for Evangelion.

KingLes98
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2011, 11:39 pm

1) Wolf's Rain. If you are into Fantasy, you need to watch this... RIGHT NOW
The music is composed by Yoko Kanno whom is famous for her work in anime.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WwvQ6Hs7tJE[/youtube]

2) Fullmetal Alchemist. This one sucks me into it's world. I like the music and high quality art. It made me cry a few times and there are a lot of interesting twists and turns.

3) FLCL. I really like the music and animation.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKdp0Ye6QS8[/youtube]

The_Perfect_Storm
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2011, 4:42 am

KingLes98 wrote:

Can I just ask... what did you like about it?

I saw this one a couple of years ago and there was a lot to like. The soundtrack was superb and the wolves were pretty cool characters. I felt that the plot really didn't go anywhere though. What do you think?

Also to anyone that has seen both versions of Fullmetal Alchemist, which did you prefer? I hear a lot of people prefer the newer one but in my opinion the original series was much better job of presenting the story (as far as the two run parallel to each other). Even when the original diverted from the manga storyline it still maintained a very high quality. Brotherhood threw in a lot of lame jokes with a 'chibi'(?) artstyle. I saw this kind of thing in the Hellsing OVAs as well and they are not at all to my taste. They're so bad lol.

KingLes98
Raven
Raven

16 Nov 2011, 1:42 am

The_Perfect_Storm wrote:
KingLes98 wrote:

Can I just ask... what did you like about it?

I saw this one a couple of years ago and there was a lot to like. The soundtrack was superb and the wolves were pretty cool characters. I felt that the plot really didn't go anywhere though. What do you think?

Also to anyone that has seen both versions of Fullmetal Alchemist, which did you prefer? I hear a lot of people prefer the newer one but in my opinion the original series was much better job of presenting the story (as far as the two run parallel to each other). Even when the original diverted from the manga storyline it still maintained a very high quality. Brotherhood threw in a lot of lame jokes with a 'chibi'(?) artstyle. I saw this kind of thing in the Hellsing OVAs as well and they are not at all to my taste. They're so bad lol.

I think of it like a Disney title. It made me cry with it's music and imagery. Like the scene where Cheza embraces Kiba who is in his wolf form or the part where Cheza summons a road of flowers and they run through the field of flowers. Beautiful.

I agree about FMA-1 being better than Brotherhood. It seems like they threw all their money into the fight scenes and not a lot of care was taken with the other scenes. Brotherhood bored me to no end, there was no magical feeling that FMA-1 gave me.

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2011, 1:50 am

What's that anime where there's lots of flashy action and the plot is completely incomprehensible and all the chicks have blur hair and hilariously huge boobs? I like that one.