Favorite Disney movie from the 1970s and 1980s?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

What's your favorite Disney movie from the '70s and '80s?
The Aristocats 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Robin Hood 27%  27%  [ 7 ]
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
The Rescuers 23%  23%  [ 6 ]
The Fox and the Hound 19%  19%  [ 5 ]
The Black Cauldron 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
The Great Mouse Detective 12%  12%  [ 3 ]
Oliver and Company 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 26

Descartes
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 3:25 am

Sometimes referred to as the "Dark Ages," because of Walt Disney's recent passing, and because of the movie's poor reception compared to movies of earlier decades.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 7:14 am

i am partial to "tron" and "the little mermaid." both are psychologically resonant with me, for various reasons. "the black hole" also was interesting.

Icheb
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 2:26 pm

You forgot "Bedknobs and Broomsticks". That one was partly animated, and my favorite movie as a kid. :D

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

The Great Mouse Detective. Of course I'm biased since I'm a Sherlock Holmes junkie, but it's one of the best Holmes films I've ever seen (and I've seen a shedload, believe me) and one that I would recommend to people who aren't usually interested in Holmes.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 5:47 pm

I feel at times that I'm the only grown male in the world who spends alot of his spare time doing nothing but watching movies on DVD and Blu Ray that loves Disney movies, even ones that may be considered a little girlish e.g. Cinderella, but to me theres more to that movie than meets the eye. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Of the selected movies I would choose Robin Hood because it's actually more funny than I remember.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 8:55 pm

The Black Cauldron, it's funny and creepy.

Morbid Malign's askblog: http://askmorbidmalign.tumblr.com/

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2011, 9:43 pm

My brother and I loved The Aristocats when we were children. One of my brother's first words was the name of the butler, Edgar. :lol:

I also had a big soft spot for Oliver & Company (and judging by the way my heart is melting in my chest as I'm reminiscing about it, that soft spot's still there). I loved the atmosphere, colors and music, and of course I loved the characters. Though the sequence at the beginning with the song "Once Upon a Time in New York City" always made me want to cry. Poor Oliver! :cry:

I really should watch that movie again...

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 11:24 am

My picks best to worst:
-The Great Mouse Detective
-Robin Hood
-Oliver and Company
-The Rescuers
-The Fox and the Hound
-The Black Cauldron
-The Aristocats

Haven't seen Pooh. I've got nothing against the Pooh films or anything. It's just for some reason, they've always managed to stay below my radar.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2011, 12:40 pm

This one is extremely hard. There were a lot of good films made in this era imo (Disney and Don Bluth rocked back then). When I was little, it would've been The Aristocats. But at the moment, I think it's The Rescuers, but not by too much. Here is my current ranking of all of them from best to worst:

The Rescuers
The Black Cauldon
The Great Mouse Detective
The Aristocats
Oliver and Company
The Fox and the Hound
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Robin Hood

I haven't seen Robin Hood in an extremely long time. And for the record, I love all of these movies. The 70s, 80s, and 90s are by far my favorite decades for animated films. I hate all the CGI comedy crap they have nowadays (with an exception every once in a while).

SunnyMistyCat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm

tb86 wrote:
I feel at times that I'm the only grown male in the world who spends alot of his spare time doing nothing but watching movies on DVD and Blu Ray that loves Disney movies, even ones that may be considered a little girlish e.g. Cinderella, but to me theres more to that movie than meets the eye. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. Of the selected movies I would choose Robin Hood because it's actually more funny than I remember.

I think there are a great many people who would love nothing more than spend there time watching Disney Movies -- I know I would!! And thankfully with streaming #VOD Disney is allowing us to binge watch! YAY! Disneyfamilymovies.com -- Plus it gives me a chance to see some that I never knew existed, like the TV movie Polly!! I think I might put that on tonight. #Polly Oooooh or maybe #DickTracy! It might not be the best movie ever, but I love love love it's look! Just like Tron it is an amazing sign of the times that visually still awes! :heart: :heart:

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 2:16 am

1970s:
1. 'Robin Hood' (one of my personal favorites of any decade)
2. 'The Rescuers' (though, surprise, I actually like the sequel better)
3. 'The Aristocats' (one of their weaker animated features, IMHO)

'Escape to Witch Mountain', 'The Apple Dumpling Gang' and 'The Black Hole' were all entertaining, but the '70s definitely wasn't the strongest time for Disney.

1980s:
1. 'The Great Mouse Detective' (also one of my personal faves)
2. 'The Little Mermaid'
3. 'The Black Cauldron'

LOTS of great live-action movies: 'Flight of the Navigator', 'Dragonslayer', 'Something Wicked This Way Comes', 'Return to Oz', 'Honey, I Shrunk the Kids' and - of my favorite cult movies - 'Midnight Madness'.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 2:36 am

I loved Robin Hood when I was a kid, and I watched Oliver and Company a ton of times as well, though if you were to ask me today, I would definitely have to say Tron. I just flat out love that movie. It's a classic 80s hacker flick, it has really cool-looking CGI sequences that were a technical marvel for the time, and it's a bit "edgier" than your typical Disney film as well. Ultimately, it's a revenge story about a programmer who gets screwed over by his former company, so he does what he knows best and hacks into their computer system. :P

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 2:48 am

To reiterate my last post, if anyone's seen 'Midnight Madness', feel free to talk about it. It was Disney's ill-fated attempt to cash in on the "college movie" craze started by 'Animal House': five teams of college stereotypes partake in an all-night scavenger hunt/race across Los Angeles and madcap wackiness ensues. It's relentlessly cheesy, but it's so much fun, like a kiddie version of 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World', plus it features Michael J. Fox in his very first film role (and he looks like he'd rather be in any other movie). I saw a screening with the cast and crew a few years ago and it was a riot...I've long wanted to do a location scouting of Hollywood and visit all the places where it was filmed, because I don't have much of a social life.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2015, 8:11 am

Since The Little Mermaid isn't on the list I'm assuming the person who made this list is referring to the dark age Disney films.

The Aristocats - Don't really like it that much. It's just cats being cutesy. Not that I don't like cats.

Robin Hood - Love it. It's nothing really special of course. Heck even Frozen (which I'll admit is a little overrated) is better but I consider this one of those underrated Disney movies that deserves a little more attention.

The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh - It's OK I guess. Not as big on Winnie the Pooh as many other people though.

The Rescuers - Don't like it but don't hate it.

The Fox and the Hound - It's good in some areas but not all that great.

The Black Cauldron - Don't really like it that much.

The Great Mouse Detective - I've only seen parts of this movie. So I can't really say how I feel.

Oliver and Company - It's OK in some areas but kinda cutesy at times. Not really that fussed on it. Love that catchy song though.

Kenya
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jan 2015, 11:03 pm

The Aristocats- My mom really likes it. I just don't get it.

Robin Hood- Meh. Had some nice memories from it but the fact that they recycled a lot of animation from past Disney movies really bugged me.

The Many Adventures Of Winnie The Pooh-Pleasant. I'm not the biggest fan of Pooh but it was harmless enough and that ending conversation between Pooh and Christopher Robin is actually a very somber one.

The Rescuers-The sequel was waaaaay better and is still one of the most underrated/underappreciated animated movies of all time along with The Hunchback Of Notre Dame, Fantasia, and The Iron Giant. I recommend the sequel more than its predecessor.

The Fox And The Hound-I honestly find I don't remember much about it.

The Black Cauldron- Never seen it.

The Great Mouse Detective- Without a doubt the best Disney movie to come out of the Dark Ages. The mystery was engaging, they managed to make a kid character that wasn't annoying like soo many others were, the action was great, it had plenty of dark moments, and the villain. Oh god the villain. This was one of the most spot on perfect casting choices for a Disney villain EVER. I mean, Vincent Price as Professor Ratigan? C'mon. There's honestly nothing more to say about it.

Oliver And Company- The characters were memorable but I'm not sure it has much lasting potential. Except for that one song. GOD DAMN IT BILLY JOEL!! !! !! !! CURSE YOU AND YOUR EXTREMELY CATCHY SONG!! !! !! !!

But if I had to go with Favorite Disney movie from 70s or 80s, it will forever be The Little Mermaid. I had such a huge crush on Ariel back then (and still kinda do now that I think about it).

Here
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Mar 2015, 4:26 pm

Icheb wrote:
You forgot "Bedknobs and Broomsticks". That one was partly animated, and my favorite movie as a kid. :D

Thank-you!

For a time as a kid, I couldn't get enough of 'Bedknobs and Broomsticks.' Before the time of VCR's/DVD players, I had listened to the 33 Record soundtrack to the movie quite often!