Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 9:44 pm

Can anyone help me with this. According to your experience what is my acting age range, the ages I would be able to play convincingly, and a stupid question: what race exactly do I look like. Some have said that I look caucasian, while I am Asian. Would I be able to play a Caucasian character?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 9:50 pm

I don't get it at all. People should never have to act a certain way just because of their race, age or gender. They should be allowed to just be themselves. When will the world wise up and realize this? :?

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 9:52 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
I don't get it at all. People should never have to act a certain way just because of their race, age or gender. They should be allowed to just be themselves. When will the world wise up and realize this? :?

Oh, I mean actual acting, film acting to be exact. Like on my resume. :)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 10:29 pm

This is what I imagine:

"Hello, Central Casting? ... yeah ... we need one 'Attractive Asian female, early teens, wearing dark hoodie' ... no lines ... no blocking ..."

Honestly, two still photos is not enough to get an impression of your range and depth. Do you have a YouTube video you could link to? Have you had voice, dance and music lessons? Any theatre experience? Can you fire a gun, ride a horse or motorcycle, swing a sword, or do backflips? Acting is more about action these days than moody facial expressions and posture.

Just so you don't think I'm being mean; I tried for ten years to get into The Business, and all I got was about half a second of my left elbow in the launch scene of Apollo XIII. You have a lot more going for you than I ever did.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 10:43 pm

jamieevren1210 wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I get'cha, Jamieevren! I studied acting for quite a while, so I understand the technique.

My first impression was oh! a young Eastern girl! (my word for Asian because it is a DNA that is all over that side of the Pacific Rim.)

if you want to go Caucasian, you have to change that vivid contrast between your skin and hair/eyebrow coloring. Some white gals slather on the makeup because with out it we look pretty washed out so bringing up the rose/whitish undertones in your skin and maybe a dishwater blonde wig the eye wouldn't focus on your facial features so quickly and it would tell the brain "Caucasian" before the eye could see it.

good luck, nice character in the pics.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 10:43 pm

Thanks people! I think I ought to get a degree first. Yeah like fnord said it may take a lot of time just trying to get a role. I had two years of training in choir and musicals, and I'm not really feminine. One could cast me a male role and I'll do it, lol. Guess it'll take some time to put together my info, then. thanks :D

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jan 2012, 10:46 pm

sinsboldly wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

I get'cha, Jamieevren! I studied acting for quite a while, so I understand the technique.

My first impression was oh! a young Eastern girl! (my word for Asian because it is a DNA that is all over that side of the Pacific Rim.)

if you want to go Caucasian, you have to change that vivid contrast between your skin and hair/eyebrow coloring. Some white gals slather on the makeup because with out it we look pretty washed out so bringing up the rose/whitish undertones in your skin and maybe a dishwater blonde wig the eye wouldn't focus on your facial features so quickly and it would tell the brain "Caucasian" before the eye could see it.

If I had a choice I would really prefer an Asian character over a Caucasian one. I was just afraid that I wasn't Asian enough. My paternal bloodlines has some middle east Caucasian blood in it...uyghur.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 2:37 am

jamieevren1210 wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
jamieevren1210 wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

If I had a choice I would really prefer an Asian character over a Caucasian one. I was just afraid that I wasn't Asian enough. My paternal bloodlines has some middle east Caucasian blood in it...uyghur.

yeah, even Central Asians look very Asian to someone not used to seeing Asian folks.

theaspiemusician
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Jan 2012, 9:46 pm

How good do you act? I mean you are kind of attractive (just saying. Not trying to be weird!) but what type of characters would you play better? Personally if I got a boy role I would be able to act as a nerd better, but I can pretend to be an annoying preppy popular girl if I'm in the mood. It really depends, I don't speak loudly, I naturally have a low soft but masculine voice, but in Drama class I HAVE spoken loudly when I needed too.

"One pill makes you larger and one pill makes you small but the pills that mother gives you don't do anything at all"

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jan 2012, 10:41 pm

theaspiemusician wrote:
How good do you act? I mean you are kind of attractive (just saying. Not trying to be weird!) but what type of characters would you play better? Personally if I got a boy role I would be able to act as a nerd better, but I can pretend to be an annoying preppy popular girl if I'm in the mood. It really depends, I don't speak loudly, I naturally have a low soft but masculine voice, but in Drama class I HAVE spoken loudly when I needed too.

Actually I'm a tomboy. Low voice, masculine too. But with some practice I can do a variety of ranges, accents, and characteristics. I do weird characters best, like Sherlock Holmes or dr house or mr bean, next...bad people, because they involve a lot of little details. I can be very annoying. I'm a comedian in real life. When I took drama, I learned how to project my voice well, but usually when I speak it gets quite blurry.

Synecdoche
Toucan
Toucan

26 Jan 2012, 2:15 am

I wish you luck.

Realistically, though, they won't offer you many acting gigs in Hollywood. Asians have it worse than any other minority in Hollywood. If you "act white", they'll want you to "act Asian", and if you "act Asian", they'll tell you're "too Asian". They usually don't cast Asians for white roles. It's usually the other way around (21, Last Airbender, Akira). It's a dirty, shameless business.

My advice, if it's of any worth, is to study the method actors (Marlon Brando, Daniel Day Lewis, Dustin Hoffman). Most artistic type of people I know tend to lack the concept of "method acting" which is something that can apply to mediums outside of acting as well. Writing, painting, singing, etc....people don't know how to perceive different roles outside of their own. Too many people wish for something rather than imagine it. Einstein had this concept of causation where he imagined falling in love with a woman and then imagined the relationship a week later and then, a few years later. To him, it was so real that he actually fell in love. At least that's how the story goes and I'm not sure I'm recalling it accurately but the point is that, if you practice that type of thinking, you'll eventually learn to pick up patterns and appear to see things ahead of other people....thus, making you seem 'unpredictable' and much more dynamic.

That aside, a huge reason why many Asian American actors/actresses struggle, I believe, is due to a lack of perception (....that causation Einstein thinking). There are many talented actors/actresses and while racism is abundant in Hollywood, many Asians are tied down to a judgmental way of seeing things rather than a perceptive one. I mean, I don't know about you, but it's how my parents and my friends parents raised us. For immigrants, it's logical to teach their children to aim for a doctor/lawyer/engineer career rather than as an artist, so a career in the arts was judged as pointless and irrational by the parents. It doesn't help that Asians are judged as outsiders/foreigners by the majority either. in fact, that probably hurts the most because it forces Asians to try to fit in. Because of that, Asians tend to be more materialistic and value creativity less as a means of fitting in. Thus, they'll also adopt judgmental attitudes rather than try to be perceptive, which I feel is an integral part of the arts.

I guess that's why I find it hard to hang around most Asian Americans, whom I share a closer tie to, historically and culturally, but because of materialistic values, I just can't get along with.

#7 Brandon Roy (2006-2011). Thanks for the memories.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2012, 3:40 am

@synecdoche thanks a lot for the input. Luckily my parents respect my choice quite a lot. They do reinforce Chinese parenting upon me but they only do so to push me towards what I really want for my life. This does not mean that they are not strict. They are, but in a good way. For example, when I was in second grade I begged to go to a medical camp for kids, and they let me. They rarely interfere with my obsessions. They are liberal minded, strict parents, to put it shortly. While I do know about the Asian stereotype thing I hope that by my generation we will be able to change it, gradually. And tell you what, until like ten years ago, every parent in Taiwan wanted their kids to become lawyers, doctors, engineers, the like. It was sick. Art is just beginning to wake up here in east Asia. I am privileged to be one of the first teens to begin the, what do you call it, liberation of the mind? :lol:

And thanks everyone, for your extremely helpful input. I appreciate it. :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jan 2012, 11:30 pm

You look Asian to me.

If they bring back westerns you could probably benifit from a demand for faces that can pass for Native American.

Ages: teens to 25.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 8:46 am

naturalplastic wrote:
You look Asian to me.

If they bring back westerns you could probably benifit from a demand for faces that can pass for Native American.

Ages: teens to 25.

Thanks! I'm hoping to go to a three week film acting intensive in Hollywood this summer, to get some screen training. I've only done theatricals before, along with a year of acting classes. And that's like in fourth grade :D

fraac
Veteran
Veteran

31 Jan 2012, 8:50 am

15-25, Chinese or Korean.

jamieevren1210
Veteran
Veteran

04 Feb 2012, 10:15 am

Sometimes it depends on the angle. And whether I have my glasses on. 8)