Deep Space Nine 23%  23%  [ 17 ]
Voyager 12%  12%  [ 9 ]
Enterprise 8%  8%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 74

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 10:08 am

Just a few quick personal views on the non-TNG series.
TOS: My second favorite. It has the timeless characters and was ahead of its time. The problems were that it was so out of place and underrated at the time, it cost the series in regard to production values and stories. Of course, it being the shortest of the Trek series is a glaring black mark as well.
DS9: Admitingly haven't seen much of the series, but that was because there really wasn't that much which was offered in the advertising to draw me into it. With that said, it did have the best crossover episode with the TOS/Tribbles mashup episode, so I'll give DS9 that.
Voyager: Probably #3 on my list in terms of likability and episodes I've seen. I kind of liked the marriage of the ST and the Lost In Space concepts to offer something different. I'll admit the show had its issues and had to call a bunch of audibles regarding its storylines and its cast, but they made it work for the most part.
Enterprise: It's biggest crime? Tried WAY too hard to be different from the other ST shows. It had a TON of potential given the whole prequel concept of the show, but the producers just squandered that potential. Pretty much the series' only redeeming feature was the last season and the decision to focus on much shorter story arcs as opposed to ones that would last multiple seasons like earlier in the series.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2012, 4:33 pm

KianaKitter wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DS9 was always my favorite, as it was in a way the mirror image of the other Star Trek series', in that the universe came to the station, instead of a ship going out to the universe. Plus, we got a good idea of multiculturalism in the federation, and how some peoples and governments just didn't get along. I especially liked when Worf joined the cast.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Maybe, but it's not really Star Trek, if they are NOT on a ship going through the universe and discovering new galaxies and planets, in my opinion.
Since they are NOT "trekking", it's not Star TREK :P

Still, it had the Federation, the Klingons, Romulans, Tribbles, and Worf. In other words, they still the Star Trek universe. And that's what I think that counts.

KianaKitter
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Feb 2012, 11:14 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
KianaKitter wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
DS9 was always my favorite, as it was in a way the mirror image of the other Star Trek series', in that the universe came to the station, instead of a ship going out to the universe. Plus, we got a good idea of multiculturalism in the federation, and how some peoples and governments just didn't get along. I especially liked when Worf joined the cast.

Maybe, but it's not really Star Trek, if they are NOT on a ship going through the universe and discovering new galaxies and planets, in my opinion.
Since they are NOT "trekking", it's not Star TREK :P

Still, it had the Federation, the Klingons, Romulans, Tribbles, and Worf. In other words, they still the Star Trek universe. And that's what I think that counts.

I think we should just agree to disagree on this one 8)

And I'm not weird, I'm just limited edition!
Always remember; Insist on yourself, never imitate.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Feb 2012, 1:08 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
With the other series we get to see the Federation's best and brightest--the bright, shiny, idealistic, public face as the Federation boldly goes...

With DS9 we get to see the Federation at home--complete with cool-aid stains on the carpet and duck-tape patching that rip on the sofa...

On DS9 they strive for the same noble ideals as in the other shows, but DS9 is honest and courageous enough to show the times they don't quite make it... That's more interesting, more relatable to me.

And it does have great characters with unique perspectives too...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz-MepaJCM4[/youtube]

Pretty much the reason why I keep going back to DS9 over TNG.

kxmode
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

17 Feb 2012, 1:14 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:

Section 31 was the most interesting "character" to join the cast. I was hoping the powers that be would've spawn Section 31 into its own series. Star Trek from the spy point of view. That would've been interesting. :)

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2012, 3:55 pm

1. DS9
2. TNG
3. Voyager
4. Enterprise
5. TOS cartoon
6. TOS

People often say TNG is the best since it's the most "normal" Star Trek series. That means it's a more modern version of the original 60s show. However, I like DS9 a little better since many of the episodes have stories directly related to each other unlike TNG.

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 11:09 pm

Enterprise, sadly, actually picked up quite a bit in the 4th season; explaining all sorts of things. If they'd only put those episodes in season 1 instead, it might have lasted the whole 7 instead of just the 4.

The 'jump the shark' moment was the cliffhanger...SPACE NAZIS? I think the next words were on the order of WTF!?

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2012, 11:23 pm

pakled wrote:
Enterprise, sadly, actually picked up quite a bit in the 4th season; explaining all sorts of things. If they'd only put those episodes in season 1 instead, it might have lasted the whole 7 instead of just the 4.

The 'jump the shark' moment was the cliffhanger...SPACE NAZIS? I think the next words were on the order of WTF!?

TOS had Nazis.

webcam
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

21 Feb 2012, 3:41 pm

I liked the new movie, really hoping to see a series come out of it.

khaos
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2012, 7:51 pm

TNG...the only series I have seen the most of. I grew up with it. The original is really good too. I didn't really even try to watch the others. I couldn't watch Scott Bakula...I kept waiting for him to leap lol.

AS, OCD, ADHD - Diagnosed
PTSD - Undiagnosed
<"May the Gods have mercy on you for I shall show none...">

MusicMama
Raven
Raven

25 Feb 2012, 8:59 pm

Series:
1. DS9
2. TNG
3. TOS
4. Voyager

Characters:
1. Spock
2. Data
3. Quark
4. The Doctor

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 4:34 am

TOS was comfort food for my soul. the recent re-remastered digital re-do [IOW digitally redone sfx] breathed a bit of new life into it.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 6:33 am

auntblabby wrote:
TOS was comfort food for my soul. the recent re-remastered digital re-do [IOW digitally redone sfx] breathed a bit of new life into it.

The Enterprise actually looked more realistic in the cartoon version of TOS before they re-did the sfx.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 6:36 am

Venger wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

The Enterprise actually looked more realistic in the cartoon version of TOS before they re-did the sfx.

for some reason, when i watched the cartoon version, i ran into a problem of a disconnect between what i was hearing and what i was seeing, IOW my eyes kept protesting that this did not look like the star trek that i was hearing.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 7:12 am

auntblabby wrote:
Venger wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

for some reason, when i watched the cartoon version, i ran into a problem of a disconnect between what i was hearing and what i was seeing, IOW my eyes kept protesting that this did not look like the star trek that i was hearing.

All the regular Star Trek actors did the voice of their animated version except Walter Koenig(Chekov) who was replaced by an alien named "Lieutenant Arex". That must be why it sounded the same to you, but it obviously looked different.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

26 Feb 2012, 10:26 am

Venger wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Venger wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

All the regular Star Trek actors did the voice of their animated version except Walter Koenig(Chekov) who was replaced by an alien named "Lieutenant Arex". That must be why it sounded the same to you, but it obviously looked different.

I loved that cartoon! I don't know why it's hardly ever mentioned along with the other series'. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hadn't it been the cartoon that had originally introduced the holodeck? The holodeck, after all, had been an important element of so many later episodes.