What do you think about Glee's Character Sugar?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2012, 4:21 pm

She is a character with self-diagnosed Aspergers on Glee. I want Glee fans with Aspergers to tell me what they think. Personally I think she doesn't fit the disorder and the fact that she is such a foul person makes me, well...
- Do you think there will be ANY development for Sugar and her Aspergers?
- Do you think this is what people think of us?
- Was I the only one who a had fit over this?
Leave comments.

Also I know it's been a full season now, but I decided to wait that long until I acted. I wanted to give the character chance to develop, but it didn't.

Atomsk
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2012, 4:32 pm

I hated the character. I thought of her not as someone with aspergers, but as some stupid teenager who, for some reason, wishes they had aspergers, and uses it as an excuse to say whatever they want.

I think this is probably what many people think of us. Especially now that they've seen it on Glee -_-.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

15 May 2012, 8:30 pm

[Moved from General Autism Discussion to Television, Film, and Video]

Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 May 2012, 11:51 am

Atomsk wrote:
I hated the character. I thought of her not as someone with aspergers, but as some stupid teenager who, for some reason, wishes they had aspergers, and uses it as an excuse to say whatever they want.

I think this is probably what many people think of us. Especially now that they've seen it on Glee -_-.

I couldn't agree more.

Dots
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2012, 8:23 pm

I kind of hope they don't ever EVER revisit the Asperger's thing. Sugar shows no ASD symptoms at all. I hope the backlash from the public was enough that the creators of Glee are too scared to try and develop the Asperger's storyline. NO publicity for Asperger's is better than that publicity.

I also am not completely happy with their current storyline with the trans character. Some of the lines xe says could indicate that xe is transgender and wishes to be treated like a woman, but everyone treats xir like xe's a crossdresser who should only be treated like a girl when xe is dressed that way.

Free speech means the right to shout 'theatre' in a crowded fire.
--Abbie Hoffman