Temperance Brennan and Zack Addy (Bones) As Aspies

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Breanne
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 May 2008, 6:55 pm

This thread will contain spoiler information about the final episode of the last season of the television program, Bones. If you do not want this episode spoiled, read no further. Thank you.

On a different forum that I post on, we were discussing the season finale of the television program Bones. I had made an observation about the behaviours of the title character, Temperance Brennan, and her assistant, Zack Addy, to which somebody asked if I viewed them as having Asperger's syndrome. I was surprised to see that not everybody was making that assumption--in fact, I was so convinced of this that I had thought the writers had intended to portray them that way.

It's difficult to explain to people who have never watched the program their behaviours, so this discussion is probably mainly for those who have watched the program.

Do you believe that the writers of the television program were trying to portray Temperance and Zack as having Asperger's syndrome or simply as socially isolated "egghead" types? If you believe that they are meant to be seen as having Asperger's/HFA, do you think that the writers did a good job portraying it sensitively?

I am a diagnosed Aspie and have frequently heard--both from people who know my diagnosis and those who don't--about how much I am like the Bones character. My mum calls me "Temperance" as a nickname. I do think that the writers have done a good job portraying these two characters in a sensitive manner as Aspies, and I like the characters a lot.

There was a situation in the last episode of this season where Zack was revealed to be the apprentice of a cannibalistic serial killer, which is how the discussion got started about the two characters being Aspies. Bones has very limited social skills. At the beginning of the series it seemed like she was incapable of forming friendships--people, like Angela, liked her, but she didn't seem to understand how to reciprocate. Over the past two seasons, she has come out of her shell more. She's still inept, but she definitely knows how to form relationships now, and she always seemed inherently capable of it. Zack, on the other hand, has no earthly idea. Again, people (especially Hodgins, I've noted), liked him, but he really has no idea how to return any sort of human emotion.

Because of this--his lack of social barriers--he is extremely easily manipulated. I think that he understood that what he was doing was wrong--he makes that damn clear, actually--but I don't think he expected any social repercussions because he has no real concept of social interaction and the repercussions of doing something as he did. Too, because of the social thing, I don't know that he entirely understands betrayal.

It was unexpected because Zack was such a sweetheart, but then on some level it was not as surprising as it could have been because of the way he doesn't understand the ins and outs of sociality. I think that while my own personal alignment goes the way of Bones (she could never kill anybody because she values human life too much), it is entirely possible for them to be on the different ends of the moral spectrum (Zack killed people but didn't understand the emotional repercussions, and Bones would never take or harm another human because she understands too well the moral repercussions) and it is possible for both of them to still be Aspies.

Any thoughts?

We won't use guns
We won't use bombs
We'll use the one thing we've got more of - that's our minds
~Pulp, Mis-Shapes

Shayne
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 May 2008, 7:06 pm

tempy is based on a real person

do you know anything about Kathy Reichs ?

Breanne

20 May 2008, 7:08 pm

Shayne wrote:
tempy is based on a real person

do you know anything about Kathy Reichs ?

Not really--but I do know that the television version of Bones is much, much different than the book version, and that the book version of Bones is apparently closer to the author.

We won't use guns
We won't use bombs
~Pulp, Mis-Shapes

NuclearRedaction
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2008, 7:26 pm

I'd never seen the show before last night's episode. I happened to have the TV on that channel and left it there while I futzed around on the computer because I was going to watch House afterward. The first thing I thought of when I saw the Zack character and the way he related to the others was that he had Asperger's, and I wondered if that was a deliberate decision by the writers and/or the actor. I also wondered about Temperance, but she clearly related better to the other characters. Though if, as you say, she started out as more socially inept, then I could definitely see it in her too.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 7:28 pm

i think it is deliberate.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 7:40 pm

Breanne wrote:
There was a situation in the last episode of this season where Zack was revealed to be the apprentice of a cannibalistic serial killer

That was the only character I could stand throughout that entire show (I've watched it a few times, because my interest in anthropology; they're not all that accurate, but just the same). Figures.

Anyway... I think she meant for them to be socially awkward, but I don't think they're necessarily supposed to be on the spectrum. If you notice, they make eye contact, their postures and motor skills are fine, and they don't seem to have any sensory problems (or if they do, they never show it). Their social skills are bad, but one can have bad social skills and not be on the spectrum.

Shayne - Kathy Reichs writes the books, but Temperance isn't supposed to be a direct connect to her. They have similarities, of course, but they're not exactly the same. I've heard a couple of interviews she did, and she doesn't seem to be all that bad in the social area.

Three years!

Breanne

20 May 2008, 7:50 pm

Other people have made mention of the eye contact elsewhere, so I wanted to address that. I make eye contact. I have to force myself, but I do make eye contact with people. I mean, it's not consistent, and if someone talks to me while I'm doing something I continue with what I'm doing, but I do make eye contact and I make a conscious effort to do so, so I don't think that should be a deciding factor in saying that they are or are not.

My motor skills are fine now--I can't cut a straight line or draw without getting marker on my hands, but my handwriting is fine (after ten years of practise!) and I can type/grasp small objects/do other things that require fine motor skills. It took time and effort, but I can now do those things.

I'm not sure about posture, but I do know that my posture is awful and I lack the capability to stand up straight. I wasn't aware that it was common in aspies.

That being said it's not only the social ineptness that led me to my conclusion, but also the seeming perseverance. I know that it's her job, but Bones doesn't like to deviate from the task at hand under any circumstances, and she refuses to believe what cannot be proved, both of which are common to Aspies.

We won't use guns
We won't use bombs
~Pulp, Mis-Shapes

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2008, 9:18 pm

Breanne wrote:
... Zack was revealed to be the apprentice of a cannibalistic serial killer, ...

Cool.

People with AS have guilt like anyone else, sometimes massive amounts after doing something "wrong", and this stops them from doing it again once they realise what they have done if they can't understand between "good" and "bad" (most times anyway). Note, it's young children with AS who have this "problem", just like everyone else. You'll find that the character in question lacks guilt, remorse, and care; all are hallmarks of Sociopaths. Sociopaths can have AS.

I watched a few episodes whilst I was waiting for Stargate to start (ha); "Bones" seemed normal to me.

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 5:54 am

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columnists/ellen_gray/20070131_Ellen_Gray___Boreanaz_says__Bones__is_not_procedural.html

Quote:
When asked if Brennan might not actually have Asperger syndrome - a condition many doctors consider a form of high-functioning autism - Deschanel nodded.

"Hart Hanson, the creator of the show, and I discuss, you know, that my character almost has Asperger syndrome, and, you know, if maybe if it was a film, that I maybe specifically would have Asperger's," she said.

"If you look at the character of Zack, [a Brennan subordinate who's] played by Eric Millegan, he almost definitely has Asperger syndrome," she added.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 10:52 pm

Sora wrote:
Quote:
When asked if Brennan might not actually have Asperger syndrome - a condition many doctors consider a form of high-functioning autism - Deschanel nodded.

"Hart Hanson, the creator of the show, and I discuss, you know, that my character almost has Asperger syndrome, and, you know, if maybe if it was a film, that I maybe specifically would have Asperger's," she said.

"If you look at the character of Zack, [a Brennan subordinate who's] played by Eric Millegan, he almost definitely has Asperger syndrome," she added.

Well... that's disappointing. Yet another thing they screwed up. My psychologist had me watch it, to find out what I could tell about the other characters (and because she wanted to see how accurate the show really was; anyone who is unfortunate enough to mention certain shows in my presence ends up getting lectured); she even specifically said that she highly doubted that any of them were supposed to be on the spectrum. I managed to identify characteristics in Brennan that went against AS; partly because I was specifically looking for them, but partly because they were fairly obvious. I could see some traits in the assistant, but very, very few in her. Being blunt and a bit awkward does not make on AS.

You know, I really had high hopes for the show. I read all of Kathy Reich's books, and I did enjoy them; they were factual, and my interest is anthropology. When I heard that she was overseeing the show to make sure it was realistic, I was glad. But it was such a let down. There were tons of factual errors in just about everything, but especially the lab; now, they throw in this for more errors.

I'm not going to watch the rest of the shows; I determined that a long time ago. I don't know if I'll end read the books when the new ones come out; I'm having a fairly hard time respecting the whole scenario now.

Three years!

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 11:16 pm

Breanne - I wasn't using any of those things as sole deciders, but rather part of a larger whole. I too can make eye contact - I hate it, and I do noticeably worse with it, but I can. My motor skills are definitely not good, but outside of a few areas, you'd have to know what to look for. My posture is bad except when I'm aggravated; then, for whatever reason, I tend to sit/stand straighter. I have heard other aspies talk about such, so I suppose it's common enough.

She does stick to her job, but this is not a trait exclusive to the spectrum. I would actually disagree with the can't be proved thing; I watched at least one episode where she was positive of something before it was possible to prove it. She's stubborn about it, yes, but I know some very stubborn people who are not on the spectrum.

I based my conclusion that she's not on multiple things. Naturally, one doesn't need to have these qualities to be on the spectrum, but it's very suspicious without at least a few. I'll list them out; undoubtedly, I'll forget some (it's late), so I'll update it later if needed.
-Makes eye contact seemingly without a problem
-Displays empathy
-Gives off "correct" body language (naturally, I can't identify such, but I had my mother interpret, as she knows it very well)
-Shows no personal space problems
-Shows no motor coordination problems
-Shows no sensory problems
-Shows no problems being around many people
-Does not have meltdowns or even appear overloaded
-Shows no problems with identifying when it's her turn to speak and when to stop
-Shows no problems relating to others when encouraged to
-Does not take things literally
-Does not seem to have problems interacting in groups
-Shows no overwhelming interest (she is interested in her work, but not to the point that someone on the spectrum would typically be)
-Does not stim
-Gets along well with others
-Does not offend people very often

Obviously, Sora's article shows that she's supposed to have it, so I have to change my original conclusion, which was that she didn't. My new conclusion is that she's supposed to, but it's very poorly done.

Three years!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2008, 11:30 pm

Adding to Heather's list:

I remember that she didn't have any peculiarities of language either; her voice [and face] showed emotion to the situation. A lack of emotional inflection plus a mask-like appearance are two common things amongst those with Asperger's [and Autism]. It's not needed, but it's common.

I also noted no problems with social reciprocity [that Heather mentioned]; I base such on when I was watching her talk to the dude from Angel. This lack of social reciprocity is the hallmark of all ASDs, whether they have friends or not (one's ability to form friendships isn't completely based on one's ability to reciprocate socially and emotionally in manner that is common to most people).

GodsGadfly
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 May 2008, 1:41 am

Rainsong,

You noted that you've only watched the show a few times. I think you might then have missed some details. From your list:

I have never really noticed whether Brennan can do eye contact or not--but she always has a kind of distinctive stare.

-Displays empathy
Yet that is what everyone's always harping on her for *not* doing. My understanding is that Aspies don't know how to *display* empathy, but they feel it deeply. Brennan feels things deeply, but she dosn't know how to empathize in a "normal" way--she usually shows her feelings by some logical reaction (e.g., her sorrow for victims is shown in trying to solve crimes). At the climax of the season finale, when she touched her head against Zack's, was an extremely out of character gesture.

-Gives off "correct" body language (naturally, I can't identify such, but I had my mother interpret, as she knows it very well)
That may be a question of the actress, as opposed to the writer's.

Hmmm. I'll have to think about that one.

-Shows no motor coordination problems or sensory problems
Good points.

True

-Shows no problems with identifying when it's her turn to speak and when to stop
Depends upon who she's with. Usually, that's a recurring thing when they're interviewing people: Bones starts rattling about something inappropriate, and Booth tells her to shut up.

Again, the whole premise of the show is that she *does* have problems relating to others. She connects with her colleagues on a professional level. She can relax with Booth and Angie and a few others, but is mostly just cold and professional.

Again, she very often takes things literally. One of the show's catch phrases is "I don't know what that means," when someone uses a metaphor or pop culture reference.

Brennan hardly ever interacts in groups.

-Shows no overwhelming interest (she is interested in her work, but not to the point that someone on the spectrum would typically be)
??? She has an all-encompassing interest in forensic anthropology such that she's one of the world's leading experts. She knows almost everything there is to know about the subject. She shows interest in almost nothing else, even excluding other social sciences (her antipathy towards psychology, for example). Bones has few known hobbies other than anthropology, and she approaches every situation in life anthropologically.

-Does not stim
Need to think about this one.

Not really. The only person she *remotely* gets along with is Booth, and yet the Bureau finds it necessary to have them in relationship therapy, because, to everyone else, they *don't* get along. Angie likes her, and is always trying to get her to do stuff. Mosly, BOoth is a loner. One of the reasons for the show's premise is that she'd rather be alone (or with one or two people) in the field than even collaborating in the lab.

Brennan offends people all the time. See above on conversation cues. For example, in one of the early episodes, Angie takes her to a nightclub, where most of the people are African-Americans. She "enjoys herself" by launching into an anthropological/sociological and somewhat philosophical analysis of hip hop culture, referring to it as "tribal." Some woman overhears, and takes offense. Brennan responds by delving even further into her analysis, rather than shutting up. The woman gets angrier. Another woman, who understands what Brennan's trying to say, comes to her defense, and a fight ensues.

In almost every episode, Brennan offends *somebody* by talking scientifically when it's not appropriate or by looking at an emotional situation hyper-rationally.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 1:42 am

GodsGadfly wrote:
Rainsong,

You noted that you've only watched the show a few times. I think you might then have missed some details. From your list:

I have never really noticed whether Brennan can do eye contact or not--but she always has a kind of distinctive stare.

-Displays empathy
Yet that is what everyone's always harping on her for *not* doing. My understanding is that Aspies don't know how to *display* empathy, but they feel it deeply. Brennan feels things deeply, but she dosn't know how to empathize in a "normal" way--she usually shows her feelings by some logical reaction (e.g., her sorrow for victims is shown in trying to solve crimes). At the climax of the season finale, when she touched her head against Zack's, was an extremely out of character gesture.

Hmmm. I'll have to think about that one.

-Shows no motor coordination problems or sensory problems
Good points.

True

Depends upon who she's with. Usually, that's a recurring thing when they're interviewing people: Bones starts rattling about something inappropriate, and Booth tells her to shut up.

Again, the whole premise of the show is that she *does* have problems relating to others. She connects with her colleagues on a professional level. She can relax with Booth and Angie and a few others, but is mostly just cold and professional.

Again, she very often takes things literally. One of the show's catch phrases is "I don't know what that means," when someone uses a metaphor or pop culture reference.

??? She has an all-encompassing interest in forensic anthropology such that she's one of the world's leading experts. She knows almost everything there is to know about the subject. She shows interest in almost nothing else, even excluding other social sciences (her antipathy towards psychology, for example). Bones has few known hobbies other than anthropology, and she approaches every situation in life anthropologically.

-Does not stim
Need to think about this one.

Not really. The only person she *remotely* gets along with is Booth, and yet the Bureau finds it necessary to have them in relationship therapy, because, to everyone else, they *don't* get along. Angie likes her, and is always trying to get her to do stuff. Mosly, BOoth is a loner. One of the reasons for the show's premise is that she'd rather be alone (or with one or two people) in the field than even collaborating in the lab.

Brennan offends people all the time. See above on conversation cues. For example, in one of the early episodes, Angie takes her to a nightclub, where most of the people are African-Americans. She "enjoys herself" by launching into an anthropological/sociological and somewhat philosophical analysis of hip hop culture, referring to it as "tribal." Some woman overhears, and takes offense. Brennan responds by delving even further into her analysis, rather than shutting up. The woman gets angrier. Another woman, who understands what Brennan's trying to say, comes to her defense, and a fight ensues.

In almost every episode, Brennan offends *somebody* by talking scientifically when it's not appropriate or by looking at an emotional situation hyper-rationally.

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Danielismyname
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 3:03 am

GodsGadfly wrote:
My understanding is that Aspies don't know how to *display* empathy, but they feel it deeply.

There'll always be an impairment of empathy; from feeling none at all, to a delayed reaction of such (any other iteration where it's impaired, of course). What people with ASDs don't show is reciprocal interaction, i.e., a lack of two-way social interaction.

RainSong
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2008, 1:26 pm

GodsGadfly wrote:

She has a distinct stare because she has distinctive eyes.

GodsGadfly wrote:

I watched an episode where they told her to be kind to the victim's parents, which she did without a problem. She seemed to understand their predicament, but she could not personally know it.

GodsGadfly wrote:

Yes, but if they want it to be realistic, the director should have been able to notice such and correct it.

GodsGadfly wrote:

It's not all that uncommon for a scientist to explain their work to whoever will listen; she does not, however, seem to have problems talking in turn when outside of interviews.

GodsGadfly wrote:

But if you watch, she really doesn't. She connects to families of victims, she shows sympathy to their relatives, and they like her. It's more than just her colleagues.

GodsGadfly wrote:

Not know pop culture is not the same as taking things literally. Pop culture requires attention paid to the popular world, and if someone isn't interested in that, they're not going to get it. I've never seen her have a problem with a metaphor.

GodsGadfly wrote:

Every single episode I saw her in a group. She goes out to the restaurant with people, she works crime scenes in groups, she works in her lab in groups.

GodsGadfly wrote:

Thank God she isn't truly one of the leading anthropologists; with the amount of factual errors in that show, it'd be a disaster for reality. That may actually be why I'm connecting her to not having an interest; in reality, their version of anthropology is nonsense.

GodsGadfly wrote:

The point is, she does get along with others. Angie likes her, the rest of the lab likes her, random people in the restaurant like her, ect. She does not show difficulties in finding what she wishes to say, and there's not awkward pauses very often.

GodsGadfly wrote:

The woman is over sensitive, but I can see your point in that example.

However, in every episode I saw, there was nothing as severe as that. She shows knowledge that she's offending people and knows when to switch tactics, if a bit late in doing such.

Three years!