Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 4:48 pm

I just watched Big on Film4 just about an hour or so ago and something occured to me while watching it and it may sound a little ridiculous. In the film it is implied that Josh (Tom Hanks) and the woman (Elizabeth Perkins), well lets just say they 'did it'. Would you say that would be sort of like...well there is a word to describe a 13 year old boy and a 30 something year old woman doing, you know, beginning with the letter P but I'm a little afraid to even type it, also I can't even spell it. But clearly the answer is no because it's not like she knew he was 13 years old and he was technically an adult, but the writers knew when they were making this film, so does that make them sickos. Clearly it does not but I'm just saying. I mean Family Guy has the character Herbert (whom I'm not sure I like that much, though I do love Family Guy) but that's OK (sort of) because Family Guy is meant for adults whereas Big is a family film.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 7:32 pm

you're overthinking it. the term you're looking for is statutory rape, but this is a comedy, not meant for analysis.

Xenu
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2012, 7:38 pm

You're 25, you can use the word pedophile.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 12:33 pm

Yeah, I couldn't help but think that too. It was just a nitpick though since a) he's a grown-up when she does him, and b) it's an awesome movie the rest of the way through. Playing the pedophilia card with this movie is like playing the incest card with the original Star Wars trilogy. But hey, that's what makes movies fun sometimes. (not pedophilia and incest, but just discussing silly sidepoints like this)

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2012, 3:44 pm

crmoore wrote

Quote:
Yeah, I couldn't help but think that too. It was just a nitpick though since a) he's a grown-up when she does him, and b) it's an awesome movie the rest of the way through. Playing the pedophilia card with this movie is like playing the incest card with the original Star Wars trilogy. But hey, that's what makes movies fun sometimes. (not pedophilia and incest, but just discussing silly sidepoints like this)

It's funny but I was thinking about Star Wars to with that whole Luke and Leia thing and yeah it's not like they knew they were siblings when she kissed him and it was just a kiss to tick Han off nothing passionate. Though she did say to Luke that somehow she's always known and what's to say that that could have started when she kissed him. Remember in Back to the Future when Marty's mother kissed him not knowing he's her future son and she said it was like kissing her brother. I've never properly kissed a girl (don't feel sad for me) but when I watch movies it seems that kisses have some sort of phychic power like in the first Spider-Man when they did the upside down kiss and at the end she kissed him and when he walked away she touched her lips and it's like somehow she knows and she mentioned in the second movie that she thinks she always knew. Anyway when it comes to Star Wars and Big I'm just gonna ignore the whole incest and pedophilia, but keep in mind that I think it's wrong in real life. I'm pretty sure alot of other people (religious types mostly) that agree and still love Star Wars and Big.