Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

transformingcar
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 12:35 pm

so, I used to be a big fan of Pokemon, the cartoons (and the games) but I got sick of it, for a few main reasons,
So here's just a few reasons to Hate or Love Pokemon...
1. the show felt too childish.
2. the games where too hard.
3. Ash is too much a good guy...

anyway, I was looking into it today, so I could figure out how to draw the characters, May, Dawn and Brock. (as well as Pikachu!)
Brock 'cuase he's cool,
May and Dawn becuase of their cute outfits.
Pikachu becuase I wanted to give him a machine gun (Pika, chuuuu!! !!.) not sure if Ash's Pikachu is boy or girl...

Well... while searching Google, for "How to draw (name here) from Pokemon" I came across some... questionable fan-art.
(among other disturbing images...)
this could be yet another reason to hate (or love) Pokemon. of course i have my own opinion, most of it I Hate...
(but I acutally love some of this sick stuff)
but my opinion aside... here are the questions...

what are your reasons to Hate or Love Pokemon?
is pokemon just a form of legalized animal abuse?

should Pokemon kill off Ash? (or simply replace him?)
what else is a concern?

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 12:52 pm

The show is childish, because it is made for children. The games aren't too hard. Albite fairly repetitive but not to hard. I don't care for it cause the games are so freaking addictive. I have only really played some of the gameboy advance games and a diamond and pearl.

Just going by the games 7/8 times a starter pokemon is a guy so ash's pikachu is probably a guy

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 1:39 pm

Anime looks funny.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 2:59 pm

Childish??? Have you seen the stuff that they censored in the original Japanese versions? Like the one where James has boobs and wears a bikini and he Makes fun of Misty for still being flat-chested? Also Brock is kind of a pervert, although he's pretty harmless compared to a lot of other male (and female) anime characters. But what's considered a huge no-no in North American culture is often not a big deal in Japan. I've heard some cybertrolls say nasty stuff, like Japan is full of pedophiles and child molestation and exploitation is even worse than it is here. I don't know if that's true since their country doesn't seem nearly as royally screwed up as some OTHER countries around here! :evil: And Pikachu has no gender. He's...well... a Pikachu. Nearly all the original Pokemon had no gender until they added the breeding feature in the games (and Brock's goal to be a Pokemon breeder finally made actual sense! :lol: )

Here are some other reasons I generally avoid anything Pokemon or Pokemon-related:
-Never played an actual Pokemon game, only played as the characters in the Super Smash Bros. games.
-Watched the cartoon for a while when it first came on but soon found it boring and annoying.
-Peer pressure: Was in my mid-20's when Pokemon became popular, negative criticism other adults and the media made me feel very uncomfortable and embarrassed knowing or understanding anything about Pokemon.
-Practically ruined Nintendo, what used the king of game world was now being bashed for being too "kiddie", especially when compared to rivals Sony and XBox.
-The fact that its creator's inspiration for Pokemon was based on his childhood memories of playing outside in nature and the small creatures he would find (Charmander-Salamander, Polywhirl-Pollywog, etc.), which he would often catch in jars and watch them "battle" each other. But the natural environment he grew up in was soon destroyed and replaced by buildings and junk, including the video game companies he ended up creating Pokemon for. Kind of sad, huh? :(

Alexender
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 3:11 pm

I had heard about that, but I still stand by that it is made for children. DBZ and dragon ball is made for children. Now the manga I think is a little bit more adult, but in both of those there are multiple adult comments. The main ones being about (can't think of the name) the blue haired girls boobs.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 3:14 pm

Thing's to love about Pokemon is Team Rocket

Thing's to hate about Pokemon Ash Ketcham

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 5:20 pm

Things I love about Pokemon:

- It was a major part of my childhood
- The Pokemon anime got me into anime in general
- The games are awesome

Things I dislike about Pokemon:

- *puts on hipster glasses* It's too popular among people in my age group (same reason I'm kind of considering not being into My Little Pony anymore)

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2012, 6:47 pm

I guess I am a big fan of the games, I do have a problem that the anime failed to evolve, it kept the same main character, who stays dopey, and as of the Black White series, has not grown in age at all, I quickly stopped watching from there after starting up again as it lack ambition.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2012, 11:03 pm

All Pokemon have Tourrettes except for Meowth from Team Rocket.

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

murasaki_ahiru
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Apr 2012, 6:23 am

I think some of them are cute. My personal fav is Psyduck even have a plushie of him. Never really played any of the games. Have a soft spot for Team Rocket.

kamesponge
Butterfly
Butterfly

06 Apr 2012, 9:52 pm

I love pokemon. I can spend half a day trying to level up my pokemon. I'm not ashamed that I still like even though I'm in college. Yes, the tv shows are much to repetitive and any real development in characters and plot ended around the second season's end, but still, the franchise is beautiful. Pokemon are extremely cute. I don't have much hand-eye coordination for playing other video games and it goes with my need to feel like I'm completing something. Plus, you can gain emotional attachment to the pokemon in video games and not have to worry about transporting them places (unlike your real pets). Pokemon is one of the few things that I can instantly bond with people about without having to engage in real conversation.

crmoore
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2012, 11:13 am

To be fair, I'll weigh in on both sides.

Pros:
-nostalgic value
-overall great game and as addictive as any good RPG
-has a rather large window in age-appropriateness

Cons:
-overexposure (cartoons, toys, etc.)
-lack of home console support regarding original adventures
-difficult for some to socialize in order to gain more Pokemon (us Aspies should know all about that)

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2012, 10:42 pm

As has been said about the TV Show it becomes too repetitive to enjoy continuously, but I do enjoy the first few seasons and could probably still watch them even now. I believe the handheld games hold their own in terms of RPG's and I still enjoy them, shame the home console games weren't as great but I remember Pokemon Colosseum being a decent game. Up until a few weeks ago I was playing Fire Red and almost felt as hooked as I did as a kid. As for the current Black and White series I think there is simply too many Pokemon to keep up with now! At over 600 species how are the poor children of this generation expected to catch them all now! It will always hold nostalgia value to me as it was a big part of my childhood. I still have my card collection as well, if anyone's interested I may put some pics up of some of the unique ones that I have :)

JesseCat
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Apr 2012, 1:34 am

Ahhh, now this is a personal thing for me.

I remember being 11 years old and playing Pokemon Red on my GB Pocket. You know, those prehistoric things with no color and no 3d and no wifi.
It was a source of happiness for me.
I won't get into a sob story but it was my escape.
14 years later I still play the series.
I don't know if that makes me a loser or not but I don't really give a damn.
Why is it okay for an adult to play Mario and not Pokemon is beyond me.
Especially if one grew up with both.
There's worse things for an adult my age to be doing.

Pros:

Nostalgia
Great game play
New Pokemon every generation!
Fun anime
MEWTWO
I can sit here and type up a novel but I shall end it here for simplicity.

Cons
Hmmm...I grew up with it and I can't think of any cons.

Pokemon is the best.

Joker
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 1:36 am

I hate the fact that in some of the pokemon Games Magickarps only attack was splash and it didn't do anything. Also they fact that even though Charizard has wings you couldn't teach him to fly in some of the pokemon games.

Colinn
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2012, 9:00 am

Joker wrote:
I hate the fact that in some of the pokemon Games Magickarps only attack was splash and it didn't do anything. Also they fact that even though Charizard has wings you couldn't teach him to fly in some of the pokemon games.

But when you finally got that Magikarp to level 20 it was so worth it. Gyarados was bad ass! One of my favourites for move sets because it could learn pretty much everything, from hydro pump to thunderbolt.