A few questions I want to know about films (please read!! !)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 8:36 am

OK, these 3 things have baffled me for a long time when I watch films, and I might be able to concentrate more on films if I can know a brief answer to these.

1. How do they get a fat person to play a fat character in a film without offending them?

2. How do they get dogs or babies to take part in the film and get them to do what they want in order to make the film so realistic?

3. How do they time the weather so brilliantly, like if it was a film set in snow then how do they know it's definately going to snow that much and stay for as long as they want to do the film?

4. I read somewhere that it takes up to 9 months to make each Simpsons episode. How can that be, if there's around 16 episodes made each year? Otherwise, the Simpsons would be like 400 years old.

There is so little I know about how they make films. Makes me wish I had took media in college. But anyway, thanks for reading and I appreciate any answers.

CrazyStarlightRedux
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2012, 8:50 am

They probably tell the fat person that they can relate to them via their personality...plus they ask actors who are HAPPY about their weight...plus money is a big factor.

Treats/Dummies...etc. Not hard.

They have a snow/rain machine....the sun is fake too usually...watch The Truman Show!

They do many episodes per week with about 100 animators.

glasstoria
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Jul 2012, 10:02 am

Joe90 wrote:
OK, these 3 things have baffled me for a long time when I watch films, and I might be able to concentrate more on films if I can know a brief answer to these.

1. How do they get a fat person to play a fat character in a film without offending them?

I am pretty sure that actors who are overweight are well aware of their weight, because even actors who are average or below average weight get suggestions from their producers to lose 10 or 30 pounds for specific roles. Weight is part of the job of being an actor, I am sure it is in their contracts that they will maintain a certain weight. When an actor is cast in a film, it is because they want that actor, think of people like Chris Farley or John Candy. They were valued for their talent and comedy and cast in many films.

2. How do they get dogs or babies to take part in the film and get them to do what they want in order to make the film so realistic?

I have heard that dogs make a talking mouth motion when you put peanut butter on the top of their mouth. Also these days, anything is possible via CGI and animation. As far as I know, children have only a certain amount of time that they can be allowed to work on a set, so for small children I believe they still use twins so that it can be divided between two children instead of one baby having to work too many hours.

3. How do they time the weather so brilliantly, like if it was a film set in snow then how do they know it's definately going to snow that much and stay for as long as they want to do the film?

Some movies are shot in places where the weather will be what they want for the film, such as Canada. Often you can see in the end credits "Thank you to the City of this and that, State/Country" for letting them film there. Other times, it is artificial and things are created on a set so the elements can be controlled. Also, if you watch the interviews with directors and actors, sometimes things like that can be out of their control and it takes longer to film the scenes and it simply makes the movie cost more money and take more time than anticipated.

4. I read somewhere that it takes up to 9 months to make each Simpsons episode. How can that be, if there's around 16 episodes made each year? Otherwise, the Simpsons would be like 400 years old.

This is a good question. I think the answer lies in the fact that they can be producing many episodes at the same time, and many people are working at the same time to assemble the finished product. So if you add up the hours of the writers, the story board creators, the animators, the voice actors, the editors, etc, it adds up to 9 months time of work.

There is so little I know about how they make films. Makes me wish I had took media in college. But anyway, thanks for reading and I appreciate any answers.

hope that helps and it is interesting to find out more about :)