Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 5:51 pm

hey gang,

anyone else here crazy about their nail styling? if so, i thought it would be nice to have somewhere to post about ideas, what we do with our nails etcetera... to get some new ideas. :)

i wear the nails on my left hand quite long (~1cm, a bit less when freshly filed down. i used to have them way longer but that didnt work too well with boxing gloves) and tapering quite some (not quite a sharp point but... you get the idea). i usually have them polished. dark reds are a favorite (best nail polish ever: rouge noir by chanel. expensive but worth it).
lately, i am crazy about more elaborate stylings. i had dark red with silver drily stumped on around the tips for a grungy, textured look and just polished themn opalescent white and painted a little black single spade on each. sadly, the black polish i used for that was a bit too dry and didnt offer the best control in the world.

my sister was around so i painted her nails, too: one hand dark red, one hand bright green - on each nail a single dotted line along the middle in the color of the other hands nails. looks quite sweet (and crazy), too.

what do you do? any crazy ideas? or rather simple & timeless classics?

Sopho
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 5:53 pm

I have my nails short. As long as they're short, I don't care about anything else about them.

ASPERGERSJOHN
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 May 2007, 5:56 pm

I like having my nails short and clean except from that i am not bothered about them.

kiki3
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 May 2007, 6:35 pm

I almost always have polish on my toes, but my fingernails chip much easier, so they're usually just a clear coat or nothing at all. On my toes, right now, I have a bright red. My favorite is the french manicure, but I find the white chips easily too. In the summer, I sometimes have a pedicure where they paint designs on my big toenail. I also like when they put a little rhinestone as the middle of a flower.

Do you like nails rounded or squared best? When I used to get tips, I had them squared; but when they're short, I like them rounded. Do you know what's supposed to be in style right now? I thought about trying a purple color for my next pedicure. My usual colors are french, pink, or red.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 10:52 am

i have no idea about en vogue shapes. my right hand nails are kept rounded and short, and my left hand basically has claws. :) (for some strange reason, nail polish lasts forever on my nails. after a hot bath, i noticed one tiny piece chip off a nail desiogn i wore for a week straight. all girls i know envy me for that and thin kit a waste to let a guy have nails like that)

color-wise, i have seen quite some dark colors lately. chanel even made black and glittery charcoal shades for their current ensemble and in "germanys next top model", heidi klum wore dark polish on her hands all the time. (but i found her nails a tad too short for that, but thats probably just my preference - as extremely dark shades really exaggerate the shape of the nail against the brighter hand, i think dark nails need to be reasonably long, otherwise, it looks like chewed-off stumps. yuck)
id look more for colors that fit your style and clothes than what is thought to be fashionable right now. if you like to have attention on your toe nails, i could imagine some fun with iridescent polish. (recently saw a shimmery peacock blueish green O_O)

placing objects like rhinestones on the nail sounds like a fun idea, too... i need to keep that in mind. :)
a friend of mine has some gothic lolita magazines, and the nail stuff they got in there is incredible. long (!) artificial nails, hand-painted in the most fun ways (symbols, bats, basically all you can imagine), and sometimes even with small holes punched in to have a little chain from pinky to ring finger nail. thats just sooooo cool. (omg, im such a styling whore)

skahthic
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 5:56 am

I have real issues with my nails--- I don't like them long because they bother me and they hurt when they bend and break ( I have weak ones). Also, with my job (nursing in a jail) it's hard to work with long nails. I also chew them off if I even think they're growing at all. I can't help it, I've always done this. My cuticles bleed constantly and I chew the nails until they bleed sometimes ( when i was a kid I'd tear half a nail off and it wouldn't even stop me). I've tried to curtail my chewing habit by clipping them reeeaaalll close with mixed results.
My toenails fare a bit better since I can't get my feet up to my mouth, but I clip them real short, too.
I don't like textures on my nails. I don't like the powdered gloves at work because they leave a residue on my nails and it drives me bonkers! I end up nearly boiling my hands in hot water to get the powder off. So rhinestones on them would not be a good idea.

Veresae
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2007, 10:17 pm

Can you grow YOURS nine inches? :wink:

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2007, 3:17 pm

veresae: now... that would be mean, but probably THE fan thing to do. just to have trent enter the stage to enlighten you that you got it somehow wrong. ;)

some more ideas i had:
big polka dots
and:
pinstripes (i think ill try that one... but ill have to buy black nail polish first)

Aerin
Raven
Raven

24 Aug 2007, 8:22 pm

I just had acrylics put on for my sister's wedding (I bite my nails and wanted better nails than the groom at least) and nail polish lasts so long on them! I think I might be sold on the idea, but not having them professionally done. They were so thick that I had to file them with a dremel! Cutting was out of the question. Store bought ones are fairly inexpensive and with my eye for detail, they should go on pretty nicely. They also don't last as long, so no big ridges where they end. I like my nails just to the tips of my fingers so I can still type, sculpt, etc.

gekitsu
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 4:06 am

youd be surprised what one can do with longer nails... typing, for example, is no problem. :)

i never thought of artificial nails to get oneself disused from biting nails. sounds like a good idea, though. i stopped biting nails in a similar way karl lagerfeld lost weight: i wanted long nails. so i stopped.

Aerin
Raven
Raven

25 Aug 2007, 11:58 am

I can barely type with short nails. Actually my problem with long nails was the buttons and zippers on my jeans. They were hard to fasten at first, but I got used to it. You should try little tuxedos on your nails, they are easier than pinstripes and very funny. I used to paint designs on nails all the time for my little friends, but they were mostly flowers and butterflies :) With the right brushes, no nail is too small for ornamentation, even a nine month old. For designs, I usually go with the cheaper polishes, they tend to be thicker and show up better, like pink on black. Wet 'n' wild makes pretty good colors. Have fun experimenting!

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2007, 1:04 pm

I like having short nails but they are ALWAYS painted - in fact, during the last 5 years there were only few situations when somebody could see me without any polish on my toes or fingernails because I lacked a polish. In this very moment my toenails are covered with a subtle pink polish and the polish on my fingernails is half transparent, very light blue.

Irulan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 4:15 pm

I have about 15 bottles of nail polish now, I buy them at one go every year :D

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2012, 4:49 pm

Mine are vampire long and rather strong.