have you ever enjoyed a show intended for the other gender?

Page 2 of 5 [ 69 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2012, 5:39 am

outofplace wrote:
Add me to the list of guys who loved the Powerpuff Girls! Then again, I knew quite a few straight guys who were really into that show. It seems to go for the same male demographic that today watches My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I never got into MLP: Friendship is Magic. Maybe I should start watching it.

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 1:16 am

CyclopsSummers wrote:
outofplace wrote:
Add me to the list of guys who loved the Powerpuff Girls! Then again, I knew quite a few straight guys who were really into that show. It seems to go for the same male demographic that today watches My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

I never got into MLP: Friendship is Magic. Maybe I should start watching it.

Neither have I, but I am past that phase now. I guess I am too old to enjoy cartoons now... and that makes me sad... :cry:

JitakuKeibiinB
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 3:20 am

I watch Pretty Cure every Sunday. :D I generally like shows targeting females more than the action explode all the things shows that men are apparently supposed to like, which I don't like at all.

SteffiTheSmile
Toucan
Toucan

13 Aug 2012, 6:20 am

Thomas the Tank Engine, Postman Pat(not sure it's aimed at girls too though), Bob The Builder, Rory the Race Car.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 9:41 am

I liked watching Manswers at one point but not so much anymore.

tantopat
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2012, 11:37 am

I watch shows intended for guys all the time. :) I used to always prefer boys' cartoons (such as Mighty Max and ReBoot) over girls' cartoons when I was little, and I never really grew out of it. Nowadays I'll tolerate the occasional show for girls/women (mainly cartoons, being an animation geek), but I much prefer sci-fi and other shows marketed towards men. :)

outofplace wrote:
I guess I am too old to enjoy cartoons now... and that makes me sad... :cry:

You're never too old to enjoy cartoons in my opinion! I'm 25 and I still watch them far more than I watch live-action shows, and not just for nostalgic purposes. I currently love Adventure Time and The Amazing World of Gumball, and as far as I'm concerned that's nothing to be ashamed of, just as you have every right to watch cartoons without feeling ashamed if you want to watch them! ^-^

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2012, 2:49 pm

About the "being too old to enjoy (kids') cartoons" thing...

I'm 25 as well, and on another forum I was talking about how I thought the new cartoon 'Young Justice' was a very good show (good action, animation, storylines, characterisation, voice acting), but also expressed that I wished I were 15 years younger.
Then, two poster who were maybe 5-10 years older than I commented that they still watched the show and didn't care about it being targeted at kids.

I can agree with that, but nevertheless, while I'll occasionally catch an episode of a kids' show that will make me think 'Hey... this show is really good', I probably won't sit down weekly for new cartoons now. I find that Japanese anime satisfies my needs in that department better than even the best Saturday morning cartoons aimed at kids.

NeueZiel
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2012, 11:43 am

For some perspective on this post, I feel truly gender neutral:

I enjoy lots of things that a normal person would consider normal for one gender but not the other. I grew up loving cartoons like Batman:TAS, X-men, Spiderman yet also loved Sailormoon. I had an assortment of boysih toys, like tanks, jets, plastic dinosaurs, transformers but also girly stuff like dolls and MLP (really hand me downs from my older sister).

Also the thing about being too old for cartoons is BS, I'm in my 20s and currently am downloading Justice League Unlimited and some Clamp manga on bittorrent.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2012, 1:02 pm

When I was a little toddler I used to prefer watching boy-oriented preschool shows to girl-oriented ones. I LOVED Postman Pat, Fireman Sam, Thomas the Tank Engine, Bob the Builder etc.

54together
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2012, 1:04 pm

tantopat wrote:
You're never too old to enjoy cartoons in my opinion! I'm 25 and I still watch them far more than I watch live-action shows, and not just for nostalgic purposes. I currently love Adventure Time and The Amazing World of Gumball, and as far as I'm concerned that's nothing to be ashamed of, just as you have every right to watch cartoons without feeling ashamed if you want to watch them! ^-^

I LOVE Adventure Time and Gumball too! :D I also like Regular Show!

hansky
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Aug 2012, 8:03 am

Breaking Bad is one of my favorite shows. I don't think it is necessarily meant for men, but it is manly.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 2:01 am

Top Gear, documentaries about great engineering feats, World's Strongest Man, generally every action movie that comes out.

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2012, 2:04 am

SteffiTheSmile wrote:
Thomas the Tank Engine, Postman Pat(not sure it's aimed at girls too though), Bob The Builder, Rory the Race Car.

I think Postman Pat is aimed at girls as well as boys.

N0tYetDeadFred
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Aug 2012, 2:57 pm

When My So Called Life came out on DVD, I watched it. I was obsessed with the early 90s at the time.

Laconvivencia
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2012, 4:43 pm

When I was a kid, a few shows that I liked that were aimed for the opposite sex were Princess starla, Sailor Moon and Totally Spies. I also watch shows that were for my Gender during these days like Digimon (My main childhood favorite), Jackie Chan Adventures, Dennis And Gnasher and Pokemon. I would not watch these shows now as I am too old for them.

ArrantPariah
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2012, 8:35 pm

Lie with Me

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0418832/

I didn't come to realize that it was a chick flick until having thought it through, some days later.