what are some movie most people hate but u absolutely LOVE

Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

allakara
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

24 Aug 2012, 1:04 am

what are some movie most people hate but u absolutely LOVE. For me it's Independence Day, most people hated that movie but for some reason even to this day i still think this movie is amazing!

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 2:33 am

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland. I've been head over heels in love with it from the first time I saw it on opening day (which was March 5th, 2010). In fact, it's probably my favorite movie that Tim Burton and Johnny Depp have done together, which is saying a lot since I enjoy everything they've done as a duo. But most people, especially fans of Tim Burton's more classic movies and the book/Disney versions of AiW, absolutely hated it - to the point where people actually got angry over the fact that Tim Burton's upcoming movie Frankenweenie is being advertised as "from the director of Alice in Wonderland".

I just don't think that the movie struck a chord with most people the way that it did with me. I think I connected with this movie so much because one of its messages is that it's OK to be mentally ill. In fact, it straight up says that "the best people" are mentally ill. Having struggled with mental illness for more or less my entire life, that really touched me. I particularly enjoyed the portrayal of the Mad Hatter as someone with mental illnesses, because his behavior kind of reminded me of myself (the meltdowns and mood swings).

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 2:57 am

The Cable Guy. This film has me in hysterics whenever I watch it, but no one else except me ever seems to find it funny.

CyclopsSummers
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 7:54 am

'Judge Dredd', 'Daredevil', and 'Star Wars: The Phantom Menace'.

And not even in a guilty pleasure kind of sense, the way I like 'Showdown in Little Tokyo' with Lundgren and Brandon Lee.

DominictheStampede
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Aug 2012, 9:55 am

I've always loved the Doctor Who movie from 1996. I thought Paul McGann was great as the Doctor and the Tardis interior they had in that film was the best.

lostgirl1986
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 1:07 pm

The Saw series and Hostel.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 4:12 pm

Star Wars Prequel Trilogy - I will admit they're not brilliant but I would never watch the original trilogy without watching these ones as well. I favor Episode III over the first 2 of course. There are flaws with these movies of course such as the acting mostly from Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker) and Natalie Portman (Padme Amidala) with their love story and some annoying characters e.g. Jar Jar Binks and Young Anakin Skywalker not to mention some scenes of bordom such as the pod race from Episode I.

The Transformers Trilogy - Truthfully these movies do have jokes that make me cringe so much that I would want to bite my skin off and many of the human characters are just so annoying. But something always makes me wanna come back to these movies. The action is great, the special effects rock, some of the story telling is good, the movies can get really tense at times like when the Autobots are leaving in Dark of the Moon, the soundtrack is epic and the best thing about all 3 movies is Optimus Prime voiced by the great Peter Cullen from the 80's cartoon series.

Avatar - To be honest this movie isn't really hated that much. I think alot of people love this movie, me included. It's definately high on my list though not that high, I guess between 20 and 30. Although I have heard now and again that quite a few people don't like this movie because I dunno special effects don't tell the story? the plot has been done millions of times before? take your pick. Whatever the case I still love this movie though I don't really watch it that much. I will admit there are some plot points that come into question like the fact that the material that the soilders were after was never really explained as to why they needed it. It was like a fuel to make them rich or something maybe or how about the scenes where Jake Sulley returned to his normal body and Neytiri and the other Na'Vi never questioned that. Maybe they were asleep or something.

Spider-Man 3 - It's definately not as good as the first 2 and the new one is better but I still consider it an OK movie. The many storys of this plot definately goes all over the place and dancing emo Peter, yeah some people hate that and me, well yeah I guess so but I can't help but grin when Peter is doing his stupid dances because I guess I'm grinning in disgust. The Sandman story was pretty good though.

I stop now but will probably be back later.

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2012, 6:05 pm

tb86 wrote:
Star Wars Prequel Trilogy - I will admit they're not brilliant but I would never watch the original trilogy without watching these ones as well. I favor Episode III over the first 2 of course. There are flaws with these movies of course such as the acting mostly from Hayden Christensen (Anakin Skywalker) and Natalie Portman (Padme Amidala) with their love story and some annoying characters e.g. Jar Jar Binks and Young Anakin Skywalker not to mention some scenes of bordom such as the pod race from Episode I.

The Transformers Trilogy - Truthfully these movies do have jokes that make me cringe so much that I would want to bite my skin off and many of the human characters are just so annoying. But something always makes me wanna come back to these movies. The action is great, the special effects rock, some of the story telling is good, the movies can get really tense at times like when the Autobots are leaving in Dark of the Moon, the soundtrack is epic and the best thing about all 3 movies is Optimus Prime voiced by the great Peter Cullen from the 80's cartoon series.

Avatar - To be honest this movie isn't really hated that much. I think alot of people love this movie, me included. It's definately high on my list though not that high, I guess between 20 and 30. Although I have heard now and again that quite a few people don't like this movie because I dunno special effects don't tell the story? the plot has been done millions of times before? take your pick. Whatever the case I still love this movie though I don't really watch it that much. I will admit there are some plot points that come into question like the fact that the material that the soilders were after was never really explained as to why they needed it. It was like a fuel to make them rich or something maybe or how about the scenes where Jake Sulley returned to his normal body and Neytiri and the other Na'Vi never questioned that. Maybe they were asleep or something.

Spider-Man 3 - It's definately not as good as the first 2 and the new one is better but I still consider it an OK movie. The many storys of this plot definately goes all over the place and dancing emo Peter, yeah some people hate that and me, well yeah I guess so but I can't help but grin when Peter is doing his stupid dances because I guess I'm grinning in disgust. The Sandman story was pretty good though.

I stop now but will probably be back later.

I prefer the first live-action Transformers film (and the old school G1 instalment), at least it balanced out the action and comedy. Numbers 2 and 3 turned it into pure and utter overkill in terms of weak and pathetic toilet humour, and the Decepticons were nothing but weak, faceless and nameless drones, except for Megatron, Starscream, Shockwave, Soundwave, Ravage and Laserbeak. The entire mythology was turned into an utter joke and made to look embarrassing in the hands of Michael Bay. I could do a better TF movie with my eyes closed.

The Hangover - Strictly the first movie, which had the warmth and heart to go along with the genuine belly laughs which the unknown cast pulled off convincingly. Number 2 was OTT and bloated.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 5:37 pm

EnglishInvader wrote:
The Cable Guy. This film has me in hysterics whenever I watch it, but no one else except me ever seems to find it funny.

Hallo, CABLE GUY *doof* *doof*

LOL

Stalk
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2012, 5:40 pm

Idiocracy

spacebrain
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Aug 2012, 11:13 pm

My Dinner with Andre - I think in my theatre class I was the only one who paid attention to this movie, seen it several times since then and am always fascinated.

Speed Racer - It's a perfect stoner flick, extreme graphics, fast pace, emotional music, simple but effective plot and dialogue.

Serenity - Idc Idc Idc, I enjoyed this movie and find it does resolve firefly as best as it can.

tb86
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 4:16 pm

Superman Returns - It may not be as good as the first 2 but is certainly much better than the last 2. It was cool that they decided to ignore the last 2 Superman movies and just carry on from the first 2. There are some things to complain about mostly the acting and I'm mostly pointing at Kate Bosworth as Lois Lane for this. I can't really explain it but she just didn't really work for me. Brandon Routh was OK as Superman but he could have done better, I mean I don't think he's as terrible as Patrick Stewart said he was at the end of the movie Ted. Also there was hardly any fighting in the movie. The closest thing to that was when Lex Luthor's goons were kicking the crap out of the kryptonite affected Superman. Although when you look back the original movie didn't have any fist to kuffs either. What I really love about the movie was the music. Not only does composer John Ottman bring back the John Williams score from the original movie but he gives us his own type of music and even some of the classic tunes like the Krypton theme and the love flight scene and adds a little something new to them. It's just ashame that we will not hear the theme music in the upcoming Man of Steel (yeah I know it's a reboot) but still it wouldn't hurt.

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2012, 10:12 pm

Stalk wrote:
Idiocracy

Seconded! :thumright:

The Craft--I don't know if it's "hated" or not, but I do remember reading one review that called it little more than an extended "music video" with no other substance.

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17

xXSeaShellXx
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Aug 2012, 10:25 pm

Glass House: The Good Mother I'm embaressed to say that I first watched this film on the Lifetime Supply of Pantyhose channel. I'm even more embaressed to admit that it's a Chick Flick's version of horror film and I'm a guy who likes this kind of movie. But the reason I like it is because compared to most of Lifetime's crap movies this one actually has some good acting and a solid plot. For those who have never seen it before it's about a woman and her husband who adobt a teenage girl and her little brother after loosing their son in a drowning accident and at first the couple seem like ideal parents, but as the teenage girl starts investigating around their big house she finds out that the mother actually suffers from Munchausen by proxy and that she's been murdering the children that she and her husband adobt by poisoning them and making them look sick, and she realizes that she and her brother are in serious danger and have to escape from the house.

Night of the Living Dead (the 1990 remake) I actually think this movie improved over the original in every way, and I can't for the life of me understand why it did so poorly when it first came out. Plus this was the first zombie film I had ever watched so I guess that's partly why it has a special place in my heart.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 2:20 am

Ah, speaking of Tim Burton movies that I'm absolutely in love with that other people hated - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Actually, the critics weren't too hard on this one - it's got a "Certified Fresh" rating at Rotten Tomatoes. It was mainly the audiences that hated it... just because it was a remake of a movie that was part of a lot of people's childhoods. Some people criticized Johnny Depp's acting, saying that he was too "over the top"... But personally, Depp's take on Willy Wonka is my favorite aspect of the entire movie, and every time I watch it, I always skip to the part where the kids enter the factory and watch it from there, because I don't give a crap about Charlie Bucket or any of the other Ticket winners and their backstories (probably because, much like Wonka himself, I happen to hate children).

EnglishInvader
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2012, 3:56 am

IdahoRose wrote:
Ah, speaking of Tim Burton movies that I'm absolutely in love with that other people hated - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Actually, the critics weren't too hard on this one - it's got a "Certified Fresh" rating at Rotten Tomatoes. It was mainly the audiences that hated it... just because it was a remake of a movie that was part of a lot of people's childhoods. Some people criticized Johnny Depp's acting, saying that he was too "over the top"... But personally, Depp's take on Willy Wonka is my favorite aspect of the entire movie, and every time I watch it, I always skip to the part where the kids enter the factory and watch it from there, because I don't give a crap about Charlie Bucket or any of the other Ticket winners and their backstories (probably because, much like Wonka himself, I happen to hate children).

The Tim Burton remake follows the book a lot more closely (apart from the sentimental crap about Willy Wonka's family that they added on to the original story), but the original Gene Wilder film is a timeless classic.