Does anyone else have problem with Titanic?

Page 1 of 6 [ 94 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Which of the two things I named you have problem with?
I don't have problem with either 44%  44%  [ 24 ]
I have problem with both 33%  33%  [ 18 ]
I have problem with her letting him die, but NOT with her throwing away that thing at the end of the movie 16%  16%  [ 9 ]
I have a problem with her throwing it away at the end of the movie but NOT with her letting him die 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 55

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:03 am

I have two big problems with the movie:

1. The fact that the guy died on the first place, which was really HER fault:

a) The girl didn't trade places with the guy, and she let him die. Why would she do that if she trully loves him? May be if they were to take turns of who is in the water then he would never died.

b) Additionally, when she THOUGHT he died, she just let him drown, instead of being desperate hoping that may be, just may be, he is not dead yet. She could have waited for rescue team to come and for doctors to do their best to bring him to life.

2. The fact that at the very end of the movie she threw that thing into the sea. She could have shown it to everyone and be famous. But no, she threw it out. Especially since she was keeping it safely her WHOLE LIFE its like she decided to ruin her life long efforts, just out of the blue.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:07 am

When I was a kid the Titanic was one of my special interests. I was OBSESSED. I read so many books on it, adult ones too, to the point that my school's reading program didn't believe me and made me read passages from the books to prove it!

Anyway, I LOVE the movie "Titanic." For some reason I was able to suspend my disbelief with that one. Maybe just cuz of the pure emotion of the film. The stupidest thing about it though was the fact that 1st class and steerage passengers were mingling together. WTF? This never happened in reality.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:10 am

I've not seen the movie, but these are my guesses, based on the rules of drama:

Think of the culture. Titanic takes place back when men still believed that women needed protecting. Both of them, in that culture, would have known the proper thing to do was to give the woman the best chance of survival. If only one of them can live, and they both know it, then they probably just fell back on tradition. It's not as though living, knowing your loved one is dead because you are alive, is any easier than dying knowing your loved one will live.

Considering how long the rescue took, anyone who ended up in the water was pretty much doomed. Hardly anyone--especially anyone with a head injury--survived the freezing water. If they had taken turns, they most likely would both have died.

I'm guessing she didn't throw it out. She probably threw it to her boyfriend, as kind of a tribute. People will often throw things into the ocean where someone died, just like they throw flowers on graves, etc.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Darkword
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:12 am

General Autism Discussion? :scratch:

Anyway, I don't think about those sorts of things when I'm watching melodrama. I always make an effort to suspend disbelief. Although I'm not a huge fan of Titanic or really any James Cameron flicks.

Pistonhead
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:31 am

It's just a dramatic movie to me, the logical thing to do if you ask me is to give one person their best chance of survival anyways. You can't always save everyone.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:44 am

Darkword wrote:
I always make an effort to suspend disbelief.

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to "disbelief". I don't have a problem with magic, for example. On the other hand, the two things I talk about in this post won't give you much to "disbelief"; people make mistakes and my own life is full of them. To me it is more of an issue that if *I* were done either of these two things I would regret them and desperately want to "undo" them. So I project my own thoughts onto the characters of the movie and that is what ruins the movie for me.

Now I don't have a problem with movies that have bad endings either. But if there is a bad ending I want to see that characters tried their very best and failed. I hate the scenario where characters COULD have had a good ending if only they have done such and such and they were too stupid to do that.

By the way, have you guys read "the tempest" by Shakespaere? I like the whole story but the very end, when he decided to break his magic stick pretty much ruined it. YEs he was lucky enough that they took him DESPITE him ruining that stick. But that only means that BOTH sides were stupid. I would have liked the ending a lot better if they FIRST were to take him back and AFTER THAT he would ruin his stick (to fulfill his promise to these spirits of setting them free).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 12:53 am

I had a problem with Jack dying. I had a problem with Rose getting off the lifeboat. I thought it was a shame she dropped her necklace back in the sea. I haven't seen the movie since I was 15.

Kiseki
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 1:01 am

Roman wrote:
Darkword wrote:
I always make an effort to suspend disbelief.

Just to clarify, I wasn't referring to "disbelief". I don't have a problem with magic, for example. On the other hand, the two things I talk about in this post won't give you much to "disbelief"; people make mistakes and my own life is full of them. To me it is more of an issue that if *I* were done either of these two things I would regret them and desperately want to "undo" them. So I project my own thoughts onto the characters of the movie and that is what ruins the movie for me.

Now I don't have a problem with movies that have bad endings either. But if there is a bad ending I want to see that characters tried their very best and failed. I hate the scenario where characters COULD have had a good ending if only they have done such and such and they were too stupid to do that.

By the way, have you guys read "the tempest" by Shakespaere? I like the whole story but the very end, when he decided to break his magic stick pretty much ruined it. YEs he was lucky enough that they took him DESPITE him ruining that stick. But that only means that BOTH sides were stupid. I would have liked the ending a lot better if they FIRST were to take him back and AFTER THAT he would ruin his stick (to fulfill his promise to these spirits of setting them free).

I don't really have a problem with the stupid things characters do in films. It is only a means of heightening the drama. I get VERY irritated though when the writer or whoever fails to recreate realism. Like, for example, having some car on the road with an incorrect license plate (1999 when it's 1997 or something), putting really bad makeup on an actor to make him look older, doing that stupid 555- phone number...these things can throw me off for the rest of the film!

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2010, 1:11 am

I have never watched Titanic, I know what's about and I'm not interested.

And I'm quite pissed that it's one of the most successful movies ever made. Then again Twilight is popular too. Oh well.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 1:50 am

They do those 555 numbers because it's a way to keep people from actually dialing them because no one has that number. If they made up a phone number without using 555, what if it was a actual number someone has, people could be calling it. My ex told me a story about where a movie made up a number and it happened to belong to some woman and it was just a coincidence. So people were calling it and this woman was getting so many phone calls, she changed her number. So since then, 555 has been used.

What bugs me is when movies play songs that didn't even exist yet in the year it takes place in. Same as when they have things that are inaccurate like for example. In Air Bud, Josh's little sister is about one or two years old. In the second movie, she is about three so that was about right. But in the third movie, she is already in elementary school while Josh is in high school if I remember correctly. Andrea looked to be about nine years old in the film and she should be about five years old or four. Then in the other movies, Josh is going to college and Andrea is in middle school. She is about ten years younger than Josh in the first one so she should be about eight years old and in elementary school assuming he is about 18 years old.
I also hate it when movies have inaccurate facts like in Jurassic park, instead of 65 millions years, they say 25 million years. Either the movie company messed up or the characters in the film did.

Sometimes it annoys me when movies have it take place in a city or state but instead they had filmed it in another city or in another state. In fact it mostly drives me crazy. But I understand it has to do with budget. Sometimes it's cheaper to film it elsewhere than where it actually takes place.

But I hate it, really hate it when movies make a movie about something that happened in real life such as on a crime that happen but they dramatize it by stretching the facts just to make it more dramatic. I even don't like it when they decide to make a biography movie on a person and they change the facts and the person. That's what they did with John Nash in A beautiful Mind and it ruined the movie for me when I looked him up online. Now I don't enjoy the movie anymore because it's not true. They used inaccurate facts and changed his character for the movie.
I have no problem with movie companies making a lifetime movie that is based on something that happened in real life by making fictional characters and making up some stuff but I hate it when they dramatize stuff because it's a lifetime movie and it's supposed to be realistic. Not all dramatic, something you see in Hollywood movies.

This drove my ex crazy, people using actors to play ages of characters who are younger than them. For example, they have a seven year old playing a five year old or a 21 year old playing a 16 year old. He said it wasn't right. But to me it didn't matter because it's all pretend and an act. No different than making everything look 1960's or making everything look 1800's and having all the actors dress like from those times, including extras. Same as using cars from the 1960's or remaking them and having them look that way.

I know another aspie who seems to hate lot of movies because he doesn't like implausible stuff. Lot of movies are not plausible. They have stuff happen in it that can't happen in real life. He didn't even like Air Bud because no way can a dog play basketball so he never even bothered seeing the other movies.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 1:56 am

All I remember about that part of the film was looking around the cinema and seeing that I was the only dry-eyed female.. weird but I was more sad about the ship :? :? .

Another reminder of being an aspie, though at the time I didnt know about Aspergers...

Taking a break.

Roman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 2:14 am

League_Girl wrote:
They do those 555 numbers because it's a way to keep people from actually dialing them because no one has that number. If they made up a phone number without using 555, what if it was a actual number someone has, people could be calling it. My ex told me a story about where a movie made up a number and it happened to belong to some woman and it was just a coincidence. So people were calling it and this woman was getting so many phone calls, she changed her number. So since then, 555 has been used.

If I was that woman I would consider myself lucky that the completely random number happened to be mine, and then try to use that situation to become famous. It was real stupid of her to change her number. May be instead of using 555, the movies should continue to put real phone numbers, and then give some kind of prize to the actual owner of that number, and make it publically known who they are (with their consent of course!). That would help people APPRECIATE it instead of complain about it!

By the way, back when I was 15 I was dialing random numbers and telling people "you are REALLY lucky; I dialed number completely at random and WOW it happened to be yours".

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 5:10 am

I have a problem with him dying because he was such a motivated and driven character ( a survivor and yet he seemed to die so willingly). Surely he would have made sure she was safe first and then tried to save himself by finding more drift wood. The dying was placed into the script as a necessary tear jerker at the end.

I didn't like that she threw the necklace in the sea. But I actually think that the final scene of the film where she is apparently dreaming of going back on Titanic and seeing all the dead people - is really showing that she died that night in her sleep (warm in her bed just like Jack told her) and her spirit joins the spirit of titanic and its dead. (although I am not much of an idealist - idealism rules in films)

There are other problems I have with that whole relationship between Jack and Rose. I didn't like the scene where they met.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 5:12 am

I hate how they used the story of Titanic to make yet another crappy love film. The film's plot is crap, the end didn't make me cry as so many people claim it did for them, and quite frankly it bores me.

Robdemanc
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2010, 5:15 am

Although I know the plot with Jack and Rose is fictional.......

Another issue I have with the plot of the film is this: When Jack and Rose emerge from the lower decks after just having sex and escaping the crewmen who are searching for them they start kissing and the lookout men high above are distracted by them. Then they spot the iceberg. If Jack and Rose hadn't distracted them maybe they would have seen the iceberg earlier and were able to avoid hitting it.

So who's fault is it that the ship sank? Is it Jack and Rose for distracting the lookout men? Or the lookout men for being distracted?

Deidara
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Jun 2010, 5:21 am

Robdemanc wrote:
Although I know the plot with Jack and Rose is fictional.......

Another issue I have with the plot of the film is this: When Jack and Rose emerge from the lower decks after just having sex and escaping the crewmen who are searching for them they start kissing and the lookout men high above are distracted by them. Then they spot the iceberg. If Jack and Rose hadn't distracted them maybe they would have seen the iceberg earlier and were able to avoid hitting it.

So who's fault is it that the ship sank? Is it Jack and Rose for distracting the lookout men? Or the lookout men for being distracted?

Guess Jack and Rose gave them the cold shoulder.