Do you still like Cartoons/shows you've "outgrown"

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AshConverse
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Jan 2013, 4:40 pm

I was rudley awakened (when I was forced to go to my fathers house) that most of the things I watch on TV are quite a few years below my age group...

[this was about 6 months ago on my 17th birthday]
They (My dad, step mom, step sister, and her fiance) all told me that since it was my Birthday I could choose what we watched, so I turned on the TV and chose my pick, then they said "We are NOT watching that!" and all went on and teased and made fun of me for watching kids shows and cartoons.

the only current shows that I watch are The Big Bang Theory and Mythbusters. Mythbusters is my absolute favorite show! (I LOVE Jamie! and Adam.!)

ANYHOW, do any of you watch shows that you have "outgrown"?

ALL my shows:
- scooby doo
- angry beavers
- the grim advernture of billy and mandy
- rugrats
- sponge bob
- fairly odd parents
- drake and josh
- icarly
- danny phantom
- ned's declassified
- ed, edd, and eddy
- ren and stimpy
- courage the cowardly dog
- invader zim
- (ahh!) real monsters
- pinky and the brain
- arthur
- dexters lab
- hey arnold
- johnny bravo
- rocket power
- etc.
(the old shows: I lived with my grandparents when I was little)
- mister ed
- leave it to beaver
- dennis the menace
- patty duke
- the monkees
- the partridge family

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

31 Jan 2013, 6:48 pm

"Outgrown?" Pfft. No, they'll never be too old. :heart:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 4:06 pm

During my teens and early adult years I still watched Sesame Street, Mr. Dressup, Tiny Toons, Smurfs and many other shows and cartoons geared toward the kiddies. When I first moved away from my parents and into a group home I got my own VCR my first Christmas away from home and I taped and watched Mr. Dressup constantly, even when the other girl I had to share my bedroom with was around, which is very unusual for me, but she didn't pay much attention most of the time. His show and other stuff on CBC weekday mornings helped me a lot during that difficult time in my life, may he RIP. Of course, I don't watch most new kid's shows on TV now as I find they are either very stupid or boring, although I will sometimes watch stuff on Treehouse TV. I spend most of my time in front of the computer and usually only get in front of the TV to have something to listen to while I draw, write or make a craft. Often I'll pay almost no attention to the show unless it's something unusually entertaining or eye-catching, but it can't be a show I hate, either. For some reason the radio doesn't help and I find most YouTube videos too interesting to keep me from looking at the screen. Sometimes I wish I didn't rely on the TV to keep me company when I'm working on a hobby, especially when there is absolutely nothing good on, which is most of the time now. :( Anyway almost everything I like is supposedly below my age group but there's nothing wrong with that. Lots of adults are into such things and it's good to be in touch with your "inner child". I wish I were more in touch like I was when I was younger, especially now that I finally have a place of my own where I can do what I want without distraction...

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

02 Feb 2013, 11:43 pm

AshConverse wrote:
I was rudley awakened (when I was forced to go to my fathers house) that most of the things I watch on TV are quite a few years below my age group...

They (My dad, step mom, step sister, and her fiance) all told me that since it was my Birthday I could choose what we watched, so I turned on the TV and chose my pick, then they said "We are NOT watching that!" and all went on and teased and made fun of me for watching kids shows and cartoons.

the only current shows that I watch are The Big Bang Theory and Mythbusters. Mythbusters is my absolute favorite show! (I LOVE Jamie! and Adam.!)

my dad says that about whatever I put on tv...other than jeopardy. then i'm always forced to watch repeats of Mash or Andy Griffith...or whatever is on when we sit down for dinner. I NEVER get the tv.

but i like some of the shows you listed.
like... rugrats, icarly, billy and mandy. Big Bang Theory!
as well as flapjack, chowder, foster's....

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
My ASD AQ score is 42
#DemandCartoonDiversity

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

05 Feb 2013, 5:49 pm

Simmian7 wrote:
AshConverse wrote:

my dad says that about whatever I put on tv...other than jeopardy. then i'm always forced to watch repeats of Mash or Andy Griffith...or whatever is on when we sit down for dinner. I NEVER get the tv.

but i like some of the shows you listed.
like... rugrats, icarly, billy and mandy. Big Bang Theory!
as well as flapjack, chowder, foster's....

I like The Big Bang Theory too! It's too bad you never get to watch what YOU want on the TV :( . I clicked on the "www" button under your signature where all the buttons are (profile, pm, blog) and on your imdb page it says you had a part in a movie.... that's so cool!

Simmian7
Veteran
Veteran

05 Feb 2013, 8:58 pm

hey_there wrote:
I like The Big Bang Theory too! It's too bad you never get to watch what YOU want on the TV :( . I clicked on the "www" button under your signature where all the buttons are (profile, pm, blog) and on your imdb page it says you had a part in a movie.... that's so cool!

thank you. actually i've been in two movies and a music video. i'm hoping to do more.

but yeah...recently my dad discovered another TV LAND style channel...called MeTV... and that's when my head hit the desk.

It's like someone's calling out to me. Writing it all down...it's like I'm calling back to them.
(quote from August Rush; but used as a reference to my writing)
My ASD AQ score is 42
#DemandCartoonDiversity

hey_there
Toucan
Toucan

06 Feb 2013, 12:56 am

Simmian7 wrote:
hey_there wrote:

thank you. actually i've been in two movies and a music video. i'm hoping to do more.

but yeah...recently my dad discovered another TV LAND style channel...called MeTV... and that's when my head hit the desk.
I know MeTV, I watch it on occasion. On of my favorites on the channel is Maude

Raj2442
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

06 Feb 2013, 6:41 am

When I was 12 I would watch Foster's Home For Imaginary Friends, Spongebob, Penguins of Madagascar, Flapjack, Johnny Bravo and Adventure Time.

I would watch shows that were intended for 12 year olds: That's So Raven, Cory In the House, Suite Life, Wizards Of Waverly Place, Hannah Montana, iCarly, Drake & Josh, ANT Farm, Good luck charlie, Sonny with a chance, and So random.

I still like ALL of the shows above, and I'm 15 this year. Though, I don't really watch any of them anymore.

rapidroy
Veteran
Veteran

09 Feb 2013, 10:10 pm

I love my preschool shows, Katie and Orbie is my newest fav, actually i'm discovering what I missed as a child, bought seasons 1,4,5,6 if you know were to get 2 and 3 let me know. Its really mature for a kids show, deals with Downs syndrome, CP, old age, death, and being different, if it were still around I'm sure an autistic kid would be in the show or knowing them an AS parent! Leslie Neilson narrates and written by Ben Wicks, example below.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zHcOJ6zW5w[/youtube]

Love teletoon retro, PBS, TV Ontario, CBC kids now and then.
Also example some shows I like new/old
-Inspector Gadget
-Daniel Tiger's neigherhood
-mister Roger's neigerhood
-Sesime street
-Mr Dressup, CBC please get him back on the air
-Friendly Giant, same CBC!
-Thomas the tank engine/shineing time station
-Art Attack!, I learned so much.
Lately I have all but stoped watching TV save for some of the kid shows, adult TV is depressing, being an adult kid is fun! I'm pickey on what I watch though, no ABC 123 type shows.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2013, 12:56 pm

Sooty
Arthur
Horrid Henry (cartoons)

mattarga
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Feb 2013, 12:59 pm

I have to admit it, I am watching He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe (the original) again. I loved them when I was 12 or so, and I love them now, they always had such great stories.

NowhereMan1966
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Feb 2013, 2:04 pm

mattarga wrote:
I have to admit it, I am watching He-Man And The Masters Of The Universe (the original) again. I loved them when I was 12 or so, and I love them now, they always had such great stories.

I like watching them too. I watch a lot of cartoons.

SakiHeart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Feb 2013, 5:51 am

I'm exactly the same! I'm almost 20 and still into kids media ^.^ I don't think I'll ever completely move past kids shows and middle grade novels (for ages 7 to 12), and you know what? That's okay! :thumleft: It's okay to be into younger media - often the best plots and characters are in the movies, TV shows, and books for younger audiences. I've decided to write middle grade novels because I love them, and there are a LOT of authors out there doing the same thing - writing books for kids.

My top favorite TV shows:
~ Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Particularly the late 80s to early 90s series and Fast Forward)
~ Danny Phantom
~ Doctor Who
~ Invader Zim
~ Star Trek: Enterprise
~ D.Gray-man (which is my #1 favorite anime of all time)
~ Vampire Knight (and Vampire Knight Guilty)
~ Merlin
~ Teen Titans
~ Yu-Gi-Oh (Only the original series)
~ Avatar: The Last Airbender (I do NOT like Legend of Korra though >.< That show makes me so mad! :x )
~ American Dragon: Jake Long

My top favorite book series (all five of these are middle grade):
~ The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling
~ The Hunter Chronicles by E. J. Patten
~ The Enchanted Forest Chronicles by Patricia C. Wrede
~ The Emily Windsnap Series by Liz Kessler
~ The Leven Thumps series by Obert Skye

~ Legend of the Legendary Heroes

MDShinobi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Feb 2013, 7:46 am

I think everyone - neurotypicals included - can relate to feeling nostalgia towards childhood tv shows and such. XD

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2013, 9:58 am

Sure, I still like shows I was supposed to have "outgrown" a long time ago...and like you, AshConverse, I was made fun of and ridiculed for it. That's not so much of a problem now that I'm an adult and on my own, though.

Some of the "little kid" cartoons I like watching every now and then are:

The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh

Dragontales

Doc McStuffins

...And I'm sure there are others that I'm just forgetting at the moment (it's still bright and early in the morning where I live, lol...)

That's so cool that there are other people who also liked Cowder and Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends! I loved both of those shows when I was a teenager and everyone else expected me to like ?Twilight or the Jonas Brothers or something like that. I've just always loved animated movies and cartoons....they're just a lot of fun and they remind me of being a kid, when everything was "okay." That, and I didn't really have friends when I was growing up, so my favorite movie and cartoon characters ended up filling that role.

I think that the concept of "age - appropriate-ness" is all relative and that everyone should be allowed to enjoy what they enjoy, as long as it's not hurting them or anyone else.

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes

conundrum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2013, 1:16 am

IMO, they're no worse than the reality show junk so many "adults" seem to love so much. :roll:

With that being said, I still love a lot of the stuff I liked as a kid...and thanks to YouTube, I can still see a lot of them. :D

so that the people say,
'It happened of its own accord.' -Tao Te Ching, Verse 17