Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

CosmicTwilightEmi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Dec 2012, 6:53 pm

For starters, my favorite movies are the original Star Wars trilogy, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, The Secret of N.I.M.H., Strange Brew, the Ghostbusters movies, the Back to the Future trilogy, An American Tail, Little Shop of Horrors, Oliver & Company, Spaceballs, My Neighbor Totoro, the Honey, I Shrunk the Kids movies, Kiki's Delivery Service, Beauty and the Beast, Spirited Away, Interstella 5555, and both Brother Bear movies. So, judging from my picks, my tastes are of the Sci-Fi/Adventure/Fantasy/Comedy/Romance genres with traces of drama.

I'm not into today's movies because to me, some of them seem too disheartening. I prefer movies from as far back as the 80's and 90's, since I grew up around that time period. A majority of those feature my favorite actor, Rick Moranis... although you could tell. I am aware of the fact that Rick's been mostly out of commission for acting since his wife's death, but he just has this likable thing to him. I'm sure there's plenty of you out there that like Chuck Norris for his charisma, or Christopher Walken for his weirdness, in a similar vein, I like Rick because he's witty, quirky, seems like a total sweetheart, and can bring out a surprisingly astounding performance during serious moments. Sure, movies like Big Bully are rather bad, but you really can't blame him. In fact, don't you ever think that movies nowadays just make actors marketable entities, which is how he saw his career during the mid-90's?

I'm not saying that movies nowadays are bad or anything, I just prefer what I usually like to watch.

Last edited by CosmicTwilightEmi on 14 Dec 2012, 1:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 8:52 pm

I don't think your taste in movies is weird. You like a lot of what most people would consider to be classic movies, and I think it's really unique and interesting that Rick Moranis is your favorite actor. :)

Nambo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2012, 9:09 pm

Sorry to report that your taste in films is far too ordinary, if you want the honour of having weird taste in films, you better start watching some.

Heres one of my favourites:-

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1Dpte-U6I[/youtube]

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Dec 2012, 11:47 pm

That's not so strange a repertoire. Most of those were released around the time I was born, and I grew up with them. An American Tale and The Land Before Time in fact were "my" movies when I was very young and I had a great deal of attachment to them.

What I hate about movies these days is that everything's a remake, sequel, adaptation, etc. and everything's just a mindless CGI light-show or relies on nothing more than the names of the actors involved. There's no originality, and the medium's matured into senility.

I can't even rent a movie with a family member because all they will ever browse through are new releases, whereas unless there is something I specifically am interested in that's come out, I generally prefer older stuff (1940's-1980's). They won't even consider watching a black-and-white film with me and won't even listen to what it's about. Anything anime they will just dismiss as some "kiddie cartoon", no matter how dark and mature a plot it has.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 12:27 am

Nambo wrote:
Sorry to report that your taste in films is far too ordinary, if you want the honour of having weird taste in films, you better start watching some.

Heres one of my favourites:-

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re1Dpte-U6I[/youtube]

I own Eraser Head on DVD. Once, I lent it to a friend and his girlfriend, and they both ended up thinking there must be something wrong with me for owning it.

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

CosmicTwilightEmi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Dec 2012, 5:12 pm

IdahoRose wrote:
I don't think your taste in movies is weird. You like a lot of what most people would consider to be classic movies, and I think it's really unique and interesting that Rick Moranis is your favorite actor. :)

While movies such as Star Wars, Ghostbusters, and Back to the Future are obvious classics, movies such as Oliver & Company and especially Little Shop of Horrors seem to be under a lot of people's radar, therefore some of my favorites are overlooked gems.

"Really unique and interesting" is a great way to describe having Rick as my favorite actor, thank you. He is really underrated, but to be fair, other comic actors that he has worked with and people are more familiar with are good, too, like Bill Murray, who is known for being a sarcastic oddball and nowadays doing those quirky Wes Anderson flicks.

drh1138 wrote:
That's not so strange a repertoire. Most of those were released around the time I was born, and I grew up with them. An American Tale and The Land Before Time in fact were "my" movies when I was very young and I had a great deal of attachment to them.

What I hate about movies these days is that everything's a remake, sequel, adaptation, etc. and everything's just a mindless CGI light-show or relies on nothing more than the names of the actors involved. There's no originality, and the medium's matured into senility.

I can't even rent a movie with a family member because all they will ever browse through are new releases, whereas unless there is something I specifically am interested in that's come out, I generally prefer older stuff (1940's-1980's). They won't even consider watching a black-and-white film with me and won't even listen to what it's about. Anything anime they will just dismiss as some "kiddie cartoon", no matter how dark and mature a plot it has.

Thanks, drh. It's really annoying that Hollywood is remaking horror movies and it's insulting that they're remaking movies from other countries. Only rarely would a sequel be necessary. The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are great; Ghostbusters 2, despite its flaws, I can stomach; Parts 2 and 3 of Back to the Future were interesting continuations to the already epic original; and I actually find Honey, I Blew Up the Kid ADORABLE! However, I've seen sequels that have sucked, like, Teen Wolf Too for example. And most direct-to-video sequels are unnecessary, even though I found Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves a total guilty pleasure, and I thought Brother Bear 2 was decent at the least. And as I said, actors nowadays are just marketable entities regardless of praise, such as Matt Damon for Contagion, or Jennifer Lawrence for The Hunger Games (no offense to THG fans). And a chunk of today's films under the PG-13 or R rating are either too disgusting (I don't solely mean sex and toilet humor), or too angsty or mean-spirited, and yet people like it anyway, and I can't understand why.

And anti-anime people are among the worst kind of people. Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! all had substance not unlike the Miyazaki movies. Goku fights for and alongside his friends, Sailor Moon and her teammates fight in the name of love, and Yugi and his friends do the same thing as well as help the bad guys heal their mental scars.

drh1138
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Dec 2012, 7:35 pm

CosmicTwilightEmi wrote:
Thanks, drh. It's really annoying that Hollywood is remaking horror movies and it's insulting that they're remaking movies from other countries. Only rarely would a sequel be necessary. The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi are great; Ghostbusters 2, despite its flaws, I can stomach; Parts 2 and 3 of Back to the Future were interesting continuations to the already epic original; and I actually find Honey, I Blew Up the Kid ADORABLE! However, I've seen sequels that have sucked, like, Teen Wolf Too for example. And most direct-to-video sequels are unnecessary, even though I found Honey, We Shrunk Ourselves a total guilty pleasure, and I thought Brother Bear 2 was decent at the least. And as I said, actors nowadays are just marketable entities regardless of praise, such as Matt Damon for Contagion, or Jennifer Lawrence for The Hunger Games (no offense to THG fans). And a chunk of today's films under the PG-13 or R rating are either too disgusting (I don't solely mean sex and toilet humor), or too angsty or mean-spirited, and yet people like it anyway, and I can't understand why.

Yeah, I hear you. Your tastes aren't weird, I think you just seem to have a large sentimental and nostalgic streak, like I do, which shows up in your movie interests.

The preoccupation with violence and sex is part of what ruins modern cinema for me. I can tolerate them, but the first priority is to tell a good story, and to be atmospheric. A lot of the movies I like tend to be slower paced and make use of silence or long gaps in dialogue (Alien, There Will Be Blood, Yojimbo, Ghost in the Shell, and 2001 being examples). Or they present a sense of nostalgia, as with Casablanca, the 1943 Sahara, and the original Ocean's 11. I guess this just doesn't fly with the stimulation-addled public, they want their blood, explosions, and pretty faces.

The most recent butchering of a good series that I've experienced was the 2009 Star Trek film. The only reason it could even be called part of the Trek franchise was the name and ship designs. It had none of the cerebral speculation or utopian undertones of the TV and movie series.

Quote:
And anti-anime people are among the worst kind of people. Dragon Ball Z, Sailor Moon, and Yu-Gi-Oh! all had substance not unlike the Miyazaki movies. Goku fights for and alongside his friends, Sailor Moon and her teammates fight in the name of love, and Yugi and his friends do the same thing as well as help the bad guys heal their mental scars.

I watched DBZ growing up, though in retrospect I didn't care for the filler; I've yet to re-watch it as the abridged Kai. I really like the Ghost in the Shell movies and series, Serial Experiments Lain, Paranoia Agent, and Mobile Suit Gundam/Zeta Gundam. Minimal fanservice (which I find jarring and patronizing), they challenge the viewer to think about the issues presented and how they relate to the real world and society, and don't assume the viewers are morons. I'm not sure if it's just me or an aspie thing, but cyborgs and mecha have a certain psychological appeal, as well.

MacDragard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Dec 2012, 11:16 pm

Most of those movies you listed are very popular even to this day. For the "kinda weird" category, I was expecting titles like Santa Claus Versus The Martians, Black Christmas, The Human Centipede, Killer Clowns From Outer Space, etc.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 12:15 pm

You (the op) have tastes that are spectacularly UN remarkable.

Whats interesting is that a movie goer like you who has such un remarkable tastes has become so disenchanted with the out put of Hollywood in the years since the Centurey turned.

Thats says more about Hollywood than about you.

If hollywood has alienated you then its doing something very different these days.

CosmicTwilightEmi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Dec 2012, 4:08 pm

MacDragard wrote:
Most of those movies you listed are very popular even to this day. For the "kinda weird" category, I was expecting titles like Santa Claus Versus The Martians, Black Christmas, The Human Centipede, Killer Clowns From Outer Space, etc.

No, I'd rather eat grilled roadkill than watch Black Christmas or The Human Centipede.

naturalplastic wrote:
You (the op) have tastes that are spectacularly UN remarkable.

Whats interesting is that a movie goer like you who has such un remarkable tastes has become so disenchanted with the out put of Hollywood in the years since the Centurey turned.

Thats says more about Hollywood than about you.

If hollywood has alienated you then its doing something very different these days.

Um... thank you? However, I just saw Wreck-It Ralph today, and it's actually pretty good. I mean, come on, it was a Disney movie with video game characters; what's not to like?

Acedia
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

14 Dec 2012, 8:16 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
I own Eraser Head on DVD. Once, I lent it to a friend and his girlfriend, and they both ended up thinking there must be something wrong with me for owning it.

Really? It's quite funny in some parts. Me and my friends found it quite funny. It's sort of become one of the films we quote the most. I have two DVDs of Eraserhead, as I ordered it online and cancelled, but it still got sent to me anyway. I got an extra one free. :)

Weird movies for me would be like Necromentia, Hobo with a Shotgun and Delicatessen. They're similarly weird to a film like Eraserhead, or any David Lynch films.

CosmicTwilightEmi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Dec 2012, 12:10 pm

Okay, for those who want to know what my LEGITIMATELY weird movie is, it's the original The Little Shop of Horrors from 1960. It's actually decent at the least, and had it not been for that movie, there wouldn't be one of my all-time favorite movies with the same title sans the "The". There's also Monkeybone, which I've only seen at least twice, and... good gravy, it's too silly for me even in hindsight.

And there's 2 more weird movies that are actually good: All Dogs Go To Heaven and Howl's Moving Castle. All Dogs because of the rodent races and King Gator's musical number, and HMC for the castle itself, Sophie cursed into turning into an old woman, the flying dog thing, and Howl covering himself in goo after his meltdown over his hair being dyed.

However, I made this topic because it details what my preferences in movies are.

CosmicTwilightEmi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2013, 2:13 pm

Since I couldn't edit my first post, here is the finalized list of my favorite movies, all of them still outdated:

http://www.listal.com/list/my-favorite-movies-emilyj64

badRobot
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 3:37 pm

CosmicTwilightEmi wrote:
While movies such as Star Wars, Ghostbusters, and Back to the Future are obvious classics, movies such as Oliver & Company and especially Little Shop of Horrors seem to be under a lot of people's radar, therefore some of my favorites are overlooked gems.

I bet you forgot to mention "Batteries Not Included" :D One of my favorites of all time and feels like it should be in your list.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2013, 4:34 pm

I like the mega-surreal movies like ERASERHEAD or INLAND EMPIRE. Or of course Videodrome

I'm also curious about John Dies At The End.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy83MPk7Wpg[/youtube]

CosmicTwilightEmi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Mar 2013, 9:13 pm

badRobot wrote:
CosmicTwilightEmi wrote:

I bet you forgot to mention "Batteries Not Included" :D One of my favorites of all time and feels like it should be in your list.

Batteries Not Included, eh? Well, since this is one of a bunch of films Steven Spielberg produced in the 80's, I guess there's no harm in seeing it.