Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MisterCosgrove
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Oct 2012, 9:50 pm

I miss the 90's comedies and shows I grew up watching. What could have happened to make it all stop? Does anybody have a clue?

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

25 Oct 2012, 10:03 pm

It isn't. I actually think we are in a golden age of TV. In drama anyway. Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones. and Homeland are all top notch shows. Mad Men and Dexter are also considered really good too, though I've never watched them.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2012, 11:13 pm

What do you mean 'bad'?? With shows on today like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Child, Jersey Shore, and.....ok point taken.

My personal belief is that the TV networks have decided it's more profitable for them to air cheap shows with lower production values than to spend a lot of money on writers/effects/etc. and make a really good, quality show. Of course there are still a few good shows out there, but they're few and far between and largely rehashes of things that have been done a million times before. I agree the 90s was a really good time for TV, lots of really good shows back then lol.

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Oct 2012, 11:22 pm

I watched Person of Interest earlier tonight...

The dialogue was painfully simple and delivered without emotion or conviction behind the words.

The only shows I regularly watch on TV anymore are Vegas (great acting), NCIS (the original only), and reruns of Arrested Development and Malcomn in the Middle

outofplace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 12:33 am

Well, the writer's strike forced the networks to come up with shows that did not require writing. Thus, they started the on air abortion that is reality TV. Unfortunately it stuck, and now TV sucks. I usually stick to educational programming nowadays. The only exceptions are BBT, Sherlock and Fox News.

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2012, 12:54 am

outofplace wrote:
Well, the writer's strike forced the networks to come up with shows that did not require writing. Thus, they started the on air abortion that is reality TV. Unfortunately it stuck, and now TV sucks. I usually stick to educational programming nowadays. The only exceptions are BBT, Sherlock and Fox News.

Forgive me if I misunderstand your post but hasn't reality tv been huge for almost fifteen years?

It didn't just start with the writer's strike..

And I agree with you about reality TV being awful. Though Pawn Stars is fun to watch.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2012, 1:00 am

You guys watch bad shows and then complain TV is garbage. There are many great shows on today, probably more than at any other time in history. Of course shows like CSI and Jersey Shore suck. But there is great drama on, watch Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and Homeland. Watch them and then make a decision.

Taverson
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Oct 2012, 1:05 am

blackelk wrote:
You guys watch bad shows and then complain TV is garbage. There are many great shows on today, probably more than at any other time in history. Of course shows like CSI and Jersey Shore suck. But there is great drama on, watch Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and Homeland. Watch them and then make a decision.

Some people can't afford those shows (either the premium channel packages, cable, or DVD seasons).

I'd be interested in what everyone's opinion is on Vegas though. I think the show is to die for. Love Dennis Quaid's role.

blackelk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Oct 2012, 2:11 am

Taverson wrote:
blackelk wrote:

Some people can't afford those shows (either the premium channel packages, cable, or DVD seasons).

I'd be interested in what everyone's opinion is on Vegas though. I think the show is to die for. Love Dennis Quaid's role.

There are good shows on AMC which is pretty much basic cable.

I don't get HBO or Showtime. I download the shows from torrent.

djdaza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Oct 2012, 2:46 am

DOCTOR WHO

LexingtonDeville
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 5:02 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
What do you mean 'bad'?? With shows on today like Here Comes Honey Boo Boo Child, Jersey Shore, and.....ok point taken.

My personal belief is that the TV networks have decided it's more profitable for them to air cheap shows with lower production values than to spend a lot of money on writers/effects/etc. and make a really good, quality show. Of course there are still a few good shows out there, but they're few and far between and largely rehashes of things that have been done a million times before. I agree the 90s was a really good time for TV, lots of really good shows back then lol.

We have crap over here in the UK, namely Geordie Shore, Made In Chelsea, The Only Way is Essex and now The Valleys, all of these shows make me literally want to throw up. You have to look long and hard to find any quality British shows or comedies these days, but the Inbetweeners and Friday Night Dinner have proven that there is some gems among the crap.

Having said that, i prefer the likes of South Park, Boardwalk Empire, The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones to said listed reality crap.

"I've seen things you people wouldn't believe: Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion; I've watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time; like tears in rain. Time to die." Roy Batty

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 5:55 am

Was t.v actually ever 'good'? I mean I am sure ever since its existence there has been bad and good t.v, but then it also depends on ones taste. I guess I would see it seemed there used to be less commercials. I actually don't watch t.v for that very reason, if there is a show I like I prefer to stream it, rent it or check it out at the library and watch episodes in order without commercials.

androbot2084
Veteran
Veteran

26 Oct 2012, 6:25 pm

Television is better because the picture quality is better thanks to high definition.

MagicToenail
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Oct 2012, 6:31 am

How old were you in the 90's? Are you talking about Seinfeld and Friends or "family" Sitcoms like Full House and Home Improvement. I'm afraid the "family" market is cornered by those awful Disney shows now.
Ugh-you know how bad a Disney Sit Com is that it makes one nostalgic for The Olsen Twins :cry:

MONKEY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 11:31 am

Has it ever even been good?

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2012, 12:08 pm

MagicToenail wrote:
How old were you in the 90's? Are you talking about Seinfeld and Friends or "family" Sitcoms like Full House and Home Improvement. I'm afraid the "family" market is cornered by those awful Disney shows now.
Ugh-you know how bad a Disney Sit Com is that it makes one nostalgic for The Olsen Twins :cry:

There are lots of good family shows, you just need to stay away from Disney channel (with the exception of two or three shows) and maybe Nickelodeon. Cartoon Network seems to be getting better after a slump into went into a while ago, and the newer Hub channel (formerly Discovering Kids) has some of the best family shows.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html