Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jan 2013, 1:23 pm

Okay this topic was probably covered two weeks ago on here, but as you may or may not know, us in the UK only got this film yesterday!

I really enjoyed it as it didn't deviate too far from the musical version but at the same time was different enough to be enjoyable. Apart from Russell Crowe, who I thought was not really 'feeling it' with Javert, I was impressed with all of the cast members. I was very tempted to jump up and join in with some of the songs but I managed to keep myself under control! What did everyone else think of it?

Also can we just stop with the Anne Hathaway hair thing, there's a whole other thread for that...

Sam2001
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jan 2013, 8:35 am

I am not really sure about going to see it. Not really my cup of tea musicals. is there a lot of songs in the film. There was film not with singing in it about 10 years ago it was ok.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2013, 1:50 pm

This one is based on the musical so there is a lot of singing. That's why I like it personally! If you like the story without the singing there are a lot of older versions although I can't think where to get them!

BeauZa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

16 Jan 2013, 7:06 am

When I heard Sacha Baron Cohen was going to be in this movie I could just tell they were going to make him the innkeeper! A world-renowned comic actor playing the comic relief... surely this would be a recipe for unmitigated disaster of the laugh box!

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2013, 11:33 am

I liked it, I didn't know anything about it before seeing it. I really want to see it on stage now with proper singers. Anne Hathaway should win an award as it was her performance that made me commit to watching the rest of the film.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 5:59 pm

Did Russel Crowe actually sing?

SandsOfTheSoul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Jan 2013, 6:01 pm

Yeah.......he should stick with acting, which was good in this

KagamineLen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 7:16 pm

I appreciate its ambition on having all of the cast sing on camera instead of lip-sych the musical numbers.

But more than two-thirds of the film consists of shots were the face takes up the entire screen, and they are singing directly into the camera. That is extremely bland cinematography.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2013, 8:01 pm

I went to see Les Miserables 2 weeks ago and I enjoyed it.

Philosoraptor
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jan 2013, 3:39 am

As someone who watched the Les Miserables 10th anniversary concert on YouTube over a dozen times over the last few years, I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. It wasn't without its problems though, IMO.

Sort-of spoilers:

Pros:
- Anne Hathaway as Fantine, especially "I Dreamed a Dream" (made me cry...)
- Hugh Jackman as Jean Valjean (in general just a great performance acting-wise and a very good performance singing-wise)
- "Master of the House" - Sacha Baron Cohen and Helena Bonham Carter were hilarious
- The ABC Cafe Students songs (my personal favorites from the musical), including "Red and Black", "Do You Hear the People Sing?", and "Drink With Me", were done very well
- Eddie Redmayne as Marius. I usually find Marius incredibly boring, but I was pleasantly surprised to really enjoy his performance. "Empty Chairs At Empty Tables" was amazing.
- Samantha Barks as Eponine. One of the most tragic characters in the musical IMO, and she really captured the right emotions in the film, and her singing was simultaneously beautiful and depressing (as it should be!)
- The last scene (SPOILERS - Valjean's death). Had me balling my eyes out at the end despite my knowing the ending. :?

Cons:
- Russell Crowe as Javert. Acting-wise he was okay, but I couldn't stand his singing voice. It was monotone the whole time. :(
- Cosette is still an incredibly bland character
- Barricade battle scenes were kind of underwhelming
- Related to the first one, but "Stars" (SPOILERS - Javert's suicide) was...boring. It shouldn't be boring. :cry:

So yeah. There's my two cents.

Declension
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 3:52 am

I'm a big fan of the musical.

I heard they added a new song for the film. Is this true, and if so, does it fit in nicely?

KenM
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 5:51 am

Yes, the new song fits good, IMO. Its done but the same people that did all the music for the stage show.

Rorberyllium
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jan 2013, 7:33 am

Aprilviolets wrote:
I went to see Les Miserables 2 weeks ago and I enjoyed it.

They made a sequel?!

Maladroit
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jan 2013, 4:42 pm

Am I alone in the fact that I thought Russell Crowe's singing voice was pretty awesome?

I think I am. I liked it a lot. He reminded me a little of Rivers Cuomo (the way he sang, not the actual voice). He's just getting pretty much 99.999% hate from everywhere I've seen. I may be alone in this opinion, but I thought that despite him not having the best voice in the movie, he tried his best and did it with sincerity and honesty. I personally wouldn't ask for more from an actor. That being said, his acting was much better than his singing.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jan 2013, 9:17 pm

I think I might go and see this film this evening if I can remember to get up there.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2013, 5:53 am

I liked it. I never knew that Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Anne Hathaway had it in them!