Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

JML101582
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 3:51 am

Here are my Top Ten best shows to grace the boob tube.

10. Rescue Me (2004-present)--The best TV show involving firefighters with Denis Leary as a divorced firefighter who is struggling with his love lives, his job, and of course his drinking. One of two shows that are on FX that are in the list.

9. The Office (U.S., 2005-present)--One of two shows on this list that are remakes from the British sitcoms. I like the verison alot better than the original U.K. version and Steve Carell is excellent as the goofy regional manager Michael Scott. The rest of the cast are second to none in this excellent remake.

8. Married...With Children (1987-1997)--The first huge hit from the FOX network with the Bundy family as one of the first anti-Cosby sitcoms in TV history. It's stupid, crude, and crazy. Most importantly, it's one of the funniest sitcoms of all-time. For people that HATE those sugar-coated sitcoms, this is it!

7. Beavis and Butt-Head (1993-1997)--It's still MTV's best animated show and it was the launching pad of Mike Judge's animation career as it centers around two nimrod teenagers and their misadventures. It's just one of the shows that started at the right time and ended at the right time. The best part of the show is when they make fun of the music videos they are watching (a'la MST3K style).

6. South Park (1997-present)--This show makes the show above look like a fluffy Saturday Morning fare. In this satire, four boys discover strange and odd things in a fictional mountain town near Denver, CO. Unlike most shows that lasts longer than ten years, the episodes get more fresh and hilarious as it goes along.

5. The Shield (2002-2009)--The first breakthrough hit on the FX network with Michael Chiklis in the lead role as Vic Mackey as a no BS, tough-as-nails, strike force officer of the LAPD who goes through the most f****d up s**t he would be involved. The best and the most realistic cop show of all-time.

4. Freaks and Geeks (1999-2000)--Despite having lasted only one season, it's still the best TV show of all-time about high school. It has a great soundtrack, outstanding writing, awesome comic timing, and standout performances. This is my first discovery of Judd Apatow along with actors: Seth Rogen, Jason Segal, James Franco, and Linda Cardellini. Based on creator Paul Feig's own high school life during the early '80s in Michigan.

3. All in the Family (1971-1979)--The sitcom that broke the rules and doesn't give a s**t about it. This sitcom revolves two couples, The Bunkers and the Stivics. Archie Bunker is one of the most controverisal characters in TV history because he was the first openly racist main character. Mike Stivic is his counterpart playing his feuding liberal son-in-law. When they both feud, it's one of the best moments in TV history.

2. The Simpsons (1990-present)--Yeah, the show ran of gas a long time ago, but for the first ten seasons of the show, it was the best pure sitcom (animated or live action) of all-time. Memorable characters and sharp writing make this show one of the best of all-time.

AND #1 SHOW OF ALL-TIME IS....

The Wonder Years (1988-1993)--This is the show that started it all...the first nostalgic dramedy in the history of TV. The show centers around a teenager from the late '60s-early '70s named Kevin Arnold (played by Fred Savage) while the adult verison of himself (Daniel Stern) narrates the adventures of what young Kevin went through from his junior high years to his junior year in William McKinley High in 1973. The best mixure of nostalgia, comedy, drama, heartugging (without being manupitive), and crowdpleasing ever to come across on the small screen.

NOTE: I am not going to change the list, but you are welcome to reply to my lists if you like or post your own Top Ten shows of all-time.

kissmyarrrtichoke
Toucan
Toucan

25 Feb 2010, 4:21 am

I would definately put Monty Python's Flying Circus, Fawlty Towers, Blackadder, Have I Got News For You, Doctor Who and maybe Top Gear somewhere in my top 10. Yes, I love my comedies.
But I don't watch much TV and not sure what the others would be.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 5:13 am

Well, my own top-ten list is not easy to compile, but here we go...

1. Doctor Who: A human-like alien who travels through time and space, in a space-time machine disguised on the outside as an old-fashioned police box, and on the inside, a virtually universe-sized craft. He can travel anywhere in the universe and anywhen in time. Of course, more often than not, he either ends up on Earth or on a planet filled with quarries, but there is a reason why Doctor Who has run for so long. Many reasons. Besides the fact that the Doctor can regenerate from mortal trauma and change into a new person in the process, the series is filled with imaginative stories and aliens.

2. Blake's 7: Star Trek is about the Federation, boldly going where no man has gone before. Blake's 7 is about a group of rebels, criminals, and terrorists on the run from a very different and very tyrannical Federation. While low-budgeted, much of Blake's 7 is surprisingly adult for its time. Where else, in the first episode of the series, would you have the main character, Roj Blake, framed for being a child molester, while everyone who supports him or believes in his innocence are murdered? Particularly noteworthy is the cynical and sardonic computer hacker Kerr Avon, played to perfection by Paul Darrow. This, Browncoats, is where Firefly came from. And it is better.

3. Death Note: The only anime series to grace this list, Death Note is an excellent supernatural psychological thriller. Light Yagami is a young high school student. He is a genius, and he is bored out of his mind, not to mention sick and tired of crime in the world. When he finds a mysterious notebook that belonged to a shinigami (or god of death, like a grim reaper) called Ryuk, he finds that he can kill anyone who he knows the real name and face of by writing their name down in the notebook. Light decides to become a vigilante, killing off the world's criminals, and once he gets rid of them, he wants to be the god of a new, crime-free world. Problem is, Interpol takes note of the criminals dropping dead at the hands of the mysterious murderer, dubbed 'Kira' by the media. And the mysterious detective known as L is determined to stop Kira at all costs. A brilliant series that has several twists and turns, and has very ambiguous morality.

4. The Quatermass serials: Nigel Kneale, the author of these ground-breaking science-fiction serials, detested science fiction. Yet he wrote some of the best examples in these science fiction thriller serials from the 1950's, as well as a fourth in the 1970's. Professor Bernard Quatermass, of the British Rocket Group, must contend with alien incursions. The first three serials established the paradigm of any alien invasion story: We go to them; They come to us; and They were always here. Of particular note is the third serial, Quatermass and the Pit, where the discovery of a bizarre object in a construction site/archaology dig leads to questions about mankind's origins...

5. Mythbusters: What do you get when you mix urban legends, pop culture, a pair of special effects technicians, and the scientific method? Oh, and explosives. Lots of explosives. You get Mythbusters. Although conceived in Australia, Mythbusters is filmed around San Francisco. Hosted by special effects technicians Jamie Hyneman and Adam Savage, Mythbusters sets out to debunk, or even prove, various urban legends, Hollywood myths, and various stories. And even if they can't duplicate the myth according to the parameters set, they will often try to duplicate the results. And quite often, that involves explosives, or at least destruction on a grand scale.

6. Red Dwarf: While Douglas Adams got there first, Red Dwarf is an excellent example of science-fiction comedy. Dave Lister, a vending machine repairman on the mining ship Red Dwarf, gets put into stasis as punishment for bringing a cat on board. Due to a radiation leak, however, he doesn't get released until 3 million years later. Although he is probably the last human alive, Lister is far from alone. Holly, Red Dwarf's (now senile) computer. Arnold Rimmer, a holographic simulation of Lister's anal-retentive colleague and bunkmate. And the Cat, a human-like creature that evolved from Lister's cat. Later, they are joined by neurotic android Kryten. In space, nobody can hear you scream, but they might just hear you laugh...

7. Blackadder: If you only know Rowan Atkinson from Mr Bean, then you don't know him. Blackadder is a hysterical historical comedy about the misadventures of several generations of the Blackadder family. Edmund Blackadder is ambitious. He wants to rise in the world. Problem is, his biggest help is S Baldrick, played to perfection by Tony Robinson. And, in many cases, at least, Baldrick is a simpleton. Although this dynamic was reversed in the original series (Blackadder being dumb and Baldrick being smart), there are a lot of deadpan snarkers and tortured similes that will make you laugh.

8. The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Douglas Adams' magnum opus comes to the small screen in this six-part series. Although the special effects may not look good for noawadays, take one look at the guide entries and you'll love them. In H2G2, as it is commonly abbreviated to, Arthur Dent's house is demolished. Problem is, so is the Earth, and Arthur is rescued by Ford Prefect, a human-like alien from Betelguese, and a researcher for an intergalactic guide called The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The two, along with fugitive President of the Galaxy Zaphod Beeblebrox and his human companion Tricia 'Trillian' McMillan, are on a bizarre question that will lead them to learn, amongst other things, the Answer to the Great Question of Life, The Universe, and Everything. (Clue: What's 6 X 7?)

9. The League of Gentlemen: This is very dark comedy. Unless you can tolerate South Park, don't watch this. However, it is, despite its often macabre humour, a smart, sardonic, and even scary comedy about an isolated town in the North of England, Royston Vasey. There are the inbred shopkeepers, Tubbs and Edward, whose local shop (actually on a hill overlooking the town) is for local people, and anyone who makes the mistake of saying that they're not local are never seen again. There's Hilary Briss, a sinister butcher whose Special Stuff is so wrong, and yet it is as addictive as crack cocaine. There's the hapless vet Dr Chinnery, who seems to kill more pets (by accident!) than he saves. There is the toad and cleanliness-obsessed Harvey Denton, and his wife Valerie, who makes the life of their visiting nephew Benjamin a living hell with strange rules and strange obsessions. And finally, there is the demonic blackfaced minstrel-like Papa Lazarou, ringmaster and polygamist, calling everyone Dave, and abducting women with a cry of 'You're my wife, now....' Good stuff, if you can stomach it.

10. Bottom: If you have watched The Young Ones, then this might be for you. If you want to see a series that is basically like a live-action cartoon, with cartoonish, bloody, and ridiculously over-the-top violence, then this is definitely for you. Rik Mayall is Richard 'Richie' Richard, a loser who has never had sex, although this is probably due more to the fact that, despite his high opinion of himself and his allure to women, he is actually a disgusting human being, and not because of the faults of others. Adrian Edmondson is Edward 'Eddie' Hitler, a violent drunkard with more friends and sexual success than Richie, but is still a hopeless alcoholic. They can't live with each other, but they can't live without each other. Life craps on them from a great height. After all, they're at the bottom of the heap.

There you go.

On sabbatical...

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 6:22 am

American

1. House
2. Boston Legal
3. Lie To Me
4. Freaky Links
5. Mythbusters
6. NCIS/LA
7. Bones
8. Destination Truth
9. Pushing Daisies
10. Las Vegas/Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip

DemonAbyss10
Veteran
Veteran

25 Feb 2010, 10:23 am

Id have to break this up into 2 lists, animated, and non-animated. Also, none of the titles are in a specific order because i cant decide which ones i like more then the others ive chosen.

Non-Animated
-Monty pythons Flying Circus
-Mythbusters
-Firefly
-Scrubs
-Better Off Ted
-Angel
-Buffy the Vampire Slayer
-Deadliest Warrior
-House
-boy meets world

Animated
-Gundam Wing
-Gundam 00
-Outlaw Star
-Doug (AAAAAEEEEEEEOOOOOOO KILLER TOFUUUUUUU!)
-Spongebob Squarepants
-Rocko's Modern Life
-The Angry Beavers
-The Simpsons
-Family Guy
-Beavis and Butthead

Yes, I do have a DeviantArt, it is at.... http://demonabyss10.deviantart.com/

miguelsx7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Mar 2010, 3:45 pm

I like
list is too long but here are some TV shows which I like most.....

Bleach
Pokemon
Angel
Damages
Samantha Who
Mythbusters
Scrubs
House MD
Lost......so on

Hands
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Mar 2010, 6:02 pm

1. Law & Order: Criminal Intent
2. The Wire
3. Homicide Life On the Street
4. The Shield
5. Six Feet Under
6. Boston Legal
7. The Big Bang Theory
8. CSI
9. Criminal Minds
10. The Simpsons

SamwiseGamgee
Veteran
Veteran

02 Mar 2010, 11:31 pm

The thought of trying to rank my favourite shows into a top 10 list stresses me out because there are too many that I like equally and I would find the task nearly impossible. My friend once asked me if I liked Doctor Who or Red Dwarf more... I couldn't possibly decide because they're not similar and I like them for different reasons. I will make a list though, of my favourite shows that I have on dvd, in alphabetical order. There are quite a few others that I haven't yet been able to afford, or else haven't found on dvd

Alias
Arrested Development
Doctor Who
Friends
Psychoville
QI
Queer as Folk
Red Dwarf
Six Feet Under
The League of Gentlemen
The Office

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 9:58 pm

meeting of the minds [steve allen showing us all how smart he was]
laugh-in [both the original and the 70s redo]
east side/west side [unusually honest protrayal of inner-city life]
police squad [6 episodes of subtle concentrated lunacy]
star trek [original 60s series- dig those fluorescent colors!]
time tunnel [cosmic eye candy]
mary hartman, mary hartman [out-"soap"ed soap]
soap [more accessible version of MHMH]
that was the week that was [cheeky/subversive 60s current events program]
the gong show [delicious ham!]

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2010, 10:15 pm

I know my favorites aren't the best of "all time", but they make me happy.

Animated:
Spongebob Squarepants
Hamtaro
Beavis and Butt-Head
Digimon (1st season)
Beetlejuice

Live-Action:
I Didn't Know I Was Pregnant
1000 Ways To Die
Pawn Stars
The Soup
The Smoking Gun Presents... World's Dumbest Criminals/Drivers/Partiers/etc.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 2:41 am

IdahoRose wrote:

Animated:
Spongebob Squarepants
Hamtaro
Beavis and Butt-Head
Digimon (1st season)
Beetlejuice

Live-Action:
1000 Ways To Die
Pawn Stars
The Soup

hey, that's beautiful, luv.

bonuspoints
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Washington state - *Do I get bonus points if I act like I care?*

04 Mar 2010, 3:13 am

thewrll wrote:
American

1. House
2. Boston Legal
3. Lie To Me
4. Freaky Links
5. Mythbusters
6. NCIS/LA
7. Bones
8. Destination Truth
9. Pushing Daisies
10. Las Vegas/Studio 60 On The Sunset Strip

1, 3, 7 and 10 are all awesome. I would also add West Wing (first 3-4 seasons, at least), Dirty Jobs, I Love Lucy, Big Bang Theory. I am having difficulty choosing two more....

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. - Oscar Wilde

Aurore
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:16 am

Hands wrote:
2. The Wire
3. Homicide Life On the Street
4. The Shield
5. Six Feet Under
6. Boston Legal
7. The Big Bang Theory
8. CSI
9. Criminal Minds
10. The Simpsons

Rather similar to mine, which would be:

2. Star Trek: TNG
3. Homicide Life on the Street
4. Boston Legal
5. The Big Bang Theory
6. Family Guy
7. The Simpsons
8. Bones
9. Six Feet Under
10. Carnivale

Last edited by Aurore on 04 Mar 2010, 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bataar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 3:17 am

I haven't thought about this in detail enough to make a list, however, I can say without a doubt that the best TV show of all time is:

<drum roll>

Babylon 5

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 11:08 am

auntblabby wrote:
IdahoRose wrote:

Animated:
Spongebob Squarepants
Hamtaro
Beavis and Butt-Head
Digimon (1st season)
Beetlejuice

Live-Action:
1000 Ways To Die
Pawn Stars
The Soup

hey, that's beautiful, luv.

Thank you AuntBlabby. :)

pakled
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2010, 4:31 pm

1. Star Trek Enterprise (finish the @#$% series!)
2. Star Trek Voyager (too soon! too soon!..;)
3. Babylon 5 -heck, I even liked Crusade
4. Dead like me (interesting, and somehow fascinating)
5. Stargate SG-1 (I know it was 10 years, but they just had a groove I liked. Atlantis, not bad, Universe, just waa
too much of a downer)
7. Star Trek Next Generation - pity they didn't keep it going a few more years. Heck, I kinda wished they'd
do another TNG movie.
uh...ya know? Somehow I don't watch TV enough...;)