Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 4:26 pm

Any M*A*S*H fans here? I am talking about both the 1970 movie and the TV series. Gary Burghoff was the only actor to play his character both in the movie and the TV series, which was Radar.

ChromaticRaven
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Jul 2013, 5:21 pm

I'm not a fan in that manner, but i like the series, watch it every now and then

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 5:55 pm

Some trivia, the first season kept the names of the movie characters like Lt. Dish, but then dropped them when ratings weren't very good. If you watch the opening sequence very carefully, when Hawkeye starts moving towards the helicopter the characters by him are from the first season, then the camera cuts away abruptly.
The opening music was written by Robert Altman's son for the movie, and has lyrics. The name of the song is "Suicide Is Painless." He made a fortune as he still gets residuals for the music. However, Robert Altman only got paid for directing the movie, and never was involved with the TV show.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 6:47 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
Some trivia, the first season kept the names of the movie characters like Lt. Dish, but then dropped them when ratings weren't very good. If you watch the opening sequence very carefully, when Hawkeye starts moving towards the helicopter the characters by him are from the first season, then the camera cuts away abruptly.
The opening music was written by Robert Altman's son for the movie, and has lyrics. The name of the song is "Suicide Is Painless." He made a fortune as he still gets residuals for the music. However, Robert Altman only got paid for directing the movie, and never was involved with the TV show.

I was in a store and heard the instrumental version that TV viewers were used to hearing as muzak. Started to laugh because I knew what the title and lyrics were, and how inappropriate they would be for muzak. Sans the words it is a rather pretty tune though.

Was a regular watcher of the show back in the day.

Trivia Q: Who was Colonel Potter's favorite writer?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 7:01 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:

I was in a store and heard the instrumental version that TV viewers were used to hearing as muzak. Started to laugh because I knew what the title and lyrics were, and how inappropriate they would be for muzak. Sans the words it is a rather pretty tune though.

Was a regular watcher of the show back in the day.

Trivia Q: Who was Colonel Potter's favorite writer?

Zane Grey

Nymeria8
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 7:25 pm

I love MASH. I especially miss the series. For many years, the re-runs were on every week night around 11pm. I used to watch it every night before bed. Oh MASH...I miss thee.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 7:38 pm

I didn't watch it for about the first five or six years it was on, but made up for it in the years of reruns afterwards.

I saw the movie at an outdoor theater (walk in, not drive in) about three years after it was first released. It was an absolutely great movie for that venue.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2013, 7:57 pm

Hawkeye, Radar, and Klinger are my men(boys)

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2013, 5:48 am

"Frank! Kiss my hot lips!" :lol:

Raptor
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 1:17 pm

Nymeria8 wrote:
I love MASH. I especially miss the series. For many years, the re-runs were on every week night around 11pm. I used to watch it every night before bed. Oh MASH...I miss thee.

It's still on TV Land and probably always will be at least periodically.

Vertex
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Jul 2013, 4:12 pm

I'm a huge fan, I've seen every episode. Hard to say what may favorite episode was, but I really like 5 o'clock charlie and Welcome To Korea parts 1 & 2.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 4:24 pm

Vertex wrote:
I'm a huge fan, I've seen every episode. Hard to say what may favorite episode was, but I really like 5 o'clock charlie and Welcome To Korea parts 1 & 2.
Five O'clock Charlie was a great one.

I don't remember which the Welcome To Korea ones were.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 4:27 pm

eric76 wrote:
Vertex wrote:

That was one the of long episodes where B.J. arrives the first time.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 4:33 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Vertex wrote:

Was that the one where one doctor (Trapper John?) was going home and Hawkeye and Radar try to catch him but can't, then they pick up the new doctor (BJ?), go into a bar and have a drink with Radar wearing the strange insignia?

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 4:36 pm

eric76 wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Vertex wrote:

Was that the one where one doctor (Trapper John?) was going home and Hawkeye and Radar try to catch him but can't, then they pick up the new doctor (BJ?), go into a bar and have a drink with Radar wearing the strange insignia?

That's right. Hawkeye missed Trapper by ten minutes and Radar was a 'Corporal-Captain'.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2013, 4:44 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
eric76 wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:
eric76 wrote:
Vertex wrote:

That's right. Hawkeye missed Trapper by ten minutes and Radar was a 'Corporal-Captain'.

I agree that that was a pretty good episode.

I also liked the one where the "intelligence" guy thought that the weekly poker meeting was some kind of communist planning meeting.