Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Kezzstar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2013, 8:23 am

If this thread doesn't belong here, please tell me :)

That being said, I think I'm becoming a bit of theatre snob. I've been to QPAC (Queensland Performing Arts Centre in South Bank, Brisbane) three times now (Twice I won tickets to plays from my footy club, this last time I bought myself a ticket) and this last play especially I've been rather critical.

"Managing Carmen" was the first one I saw, based heavily on Aussie Rules (probably how the club got tickets lol) and I found it to be a rather deep and meaningful comedy with a rather cliché ending but overall a good watch.

"Other Desert Homes" was probably the best I've seen. The story was great, the characters were identifiable and the twist at the end was completely unexpected.

Tonight I saw "Design for Living" and while it was a funny piece, I feel that the humour was used a bit as filler to try and extend the running time (The end of the second act was the worst. Two drunk guys monologuing with some slapstick thrown in is good for two minutes. Not for nearly 10, especially when we don't learn anything new about the characters or about the story) and the ending felt rather weak.

Anyone else enjoy a good play?

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

20 Oct 2013, 11:25 pm

I have been to the theatre a bunch of times. Mainly to see musicals.

Last one I saw was King Kong. I enjoyed it :)

Although if you are not a fan of strobe lights or smoke machines, I would give it a miss as these feature quite a bit.