Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 2:46 am

Anyone else see the very last episode of Breaking Bad? If so, what did you think? Was it a satisfying ending for you?

My take on it is this:
My only criticism is that the episode should have been allotted two hours to finish the story. I think the space of an hour fifteen minutes it was given made it too rushed.
That being said, I still loved Walt's revenge on Lydia and the Aryan Brotherhood.
While I saw his poisoning Lydia with the ricin a mile away, it doesn't diminish that she got her comeuppance.
And that machine gun in the trunk of his car, activated by the car alarm on Walt's key chain was without peer!
The fact that after all the bad blood between Walt and Jesse, Walt saves him when the Neo-Nazi bastards got shot to pieces. It revealed despite everything, Jesse was still as much of his son as Walt Jr. was - and I liked that.
The fact that Jesse was able to kill his principle tormentor, Todd, after kept in degraded servitude to the Aryan Brotherhood cooking meth, was a welcome sight.
The thing that sticks in my mind is how when Walt, saying goodbye to his wife Skyler for the last time, admits he hadn't been cooking and dealing meth, killing enemies, and building a crime empire for his family, which had been his rationale from the start. Rather, he tells her, "I did it for me. I liked it. I was good at it. And it made me feel alive."

Anyone else?

-Bill, otherwise known as Kraichgauer

Alternative
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 6:23 am

I pretty much agree with what you've said above.

I feel they did well with the allocated time slot though, pacing it accordingly as Walt ties up all loose ends.

The M60 was absolute genius, and like you, I saw the Ricin poison a mile away.

His graceful death was beautiful and I really couldn't see how else that would've ended it.

TheWadeSmellbringer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2013, 12:38 pm

I like how Walt used his accidental gun wound to cover for Jesse's drug making.

My Youtube Channel

My V-Log Channel

[url=thewadesmellbringer.tumblr.com]My Tumblr Blog[/url]

NEtikiman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2013, 6:03 pm

I agree with everything the OP said, although I will also add that, while I understand that the song's lyrics thematically fit the tone of the finale, it seemed too upbeat for the content of the final scene. Although maybe this is symbolic of Walter's new-found peace...

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 8:41 am

I just watched the last episode and it was great! The show did go out with a bang and pretty much wrapped everything up. It ended pretty much the only way it could end.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 4:54 pm

KyleTheGhost wrote:
I just watched the last episode and it was great! The show did go out with a bang and pretty much wrapped everything up. It ended pretty much the only way it could end.

I always enjoyed how Jesse was able to finally take revenge on his principle tormentor, Todd. :twisted:

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 6:15 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
KyleTheGhost wrote:

I always enjoyed how Jesse was able to finally take revenge on his principle tormentor, Todd. :twisted:

Agreed. It seemed fitting that Jesse was the one who killed Todd.

luanqibazao
Veteran
Veteran

23 Feb 2014, 10:53 pm

Guess I'll be the dissenting voice then – I found it a bit underwhelming. Walt dying from a random bullet wound was a little too, well, random.

Here's what I think should have happened. Remember in the flashback when the Cartel thug murders Fring's partner, he spares Fring because "I know who you are. But you're not in Chile any more." Later, Walt brags that he, not the Cartel, killed Fring ... They should have used all that.

So Walt does his trick with the M60. Jesse escapes. Walt walks unscathed out into the moonlight, and we think no way, he's going to get away again. Then a shot rings out, Walt crumples, and we cut to an assassin on a nearby ridge with a scoped rifle. He pulls out a smartphone with a gloved hand and speed-dials a number; the name Enrique Faringa comes up. "It's done," he says in Spanish; breaks the phone and walks away into the darkness. Return to Walt, dying next to his beloved lab equipment ....