Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Marduk1965
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jun 2015, 11:48 am

I know there was one who may have been on the spectrum but it might be really cool to have one who has setbacks that make it necessary for him/her to work around and the obvious brilliance that triumphs that some Aspies actually do possess.

I think it would be a good way to introduce Autism to a broader audience as a real thing that has it's ups and downs just as anybody else may have but also a way to get people to understand Autism better and not trivialize it or stereotype it.

It may however be a very bad idea. I don't know. My mind is racing with the possibilities. :nerdy:

Marduk1965

01 Jun 2015, 6:56 pm

Yeah, I guess it is a bad idea.

Marduk1965

02 Jun 2015, 9:01 am

I may write it anyway.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2015, 9:22 am

I'm sure there'll be a fair number of Autists who have had trigger events. They might be more likely to be supervillains though, given the trauma required to have a trigger event. Unless they go with Cauldron, but that's not talked about.

rarebit
Toucan
Toucan

03 Jun 2015, 1:03 pm

Marduk1965 wrote:
I know there was one who may have been on the spectrum but it might be really cool to have one who has setbacks that make it necessary for him/her to work around and the obvious brilliance that triumphs that some Aspies actually do possess.

I think it would be a good way to introduce Autism to a broader audience as a real thing that has it's ups and downs just as anybody else may have but also a way to get people to understand Autism better and not trivialize it or stereotype it.

It may however be a very bad idea. I don't know. My mind is racing with the possibilities. :nerdy:

Why do they need to be superhero's? Why can't they be pretty ordinary people who have a talent for something which makes them a necessity to a team who learns to interact with and appreciate them instead of calling them nerds or something, whilst at the same time showing the Aspie a few strategies for fitting in as well.

That said, can't all superheros be considered as Aspies, i.e. often has a talent and is generally socially awkward, e.g. Superman?

Marduk1965

03 Jun 2015, 7:29 pm

Wouldn't have to be a superhero but I would like it.

I don't know if I could call superheroes Aspies for having a talent and being socially awkward. I thin a clinical diagnosis would work better for me. :D

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2015, 12:42 am

I always thought Dr. Manhattan, of Watchmen, was an Aspie.

TheMagnanimousKitten

07 Jun 2015, 8:19 pm

Sorry she's not a superhero, but Sadness from Pixar's "Inside Out" is my profile picture because she seems very much to be an Aspie :)

This scene features her quite a bit:

Joy: Which way, left?
Sadness: Right. *Joy pushes her to the right* No, I mean go left, I said left was right, like, correct. *Joy pushes her to the left* This actually feels kind of nice.

Hope you enjoy :)

Marduk1965

07 Jun 2015, 8:41 pm

She reminds me of a friend of mine who is Aspie.

Marduk1965

07 Jun 2015, 8:41 pm

She reminds me of a friend of mine who is Aspie.

TheMagnanimousKitten

07 Jun 2015, 8:47 pm

Awesome!! :D She reminds me of myself and a friend as well. :)
Aww, Sadness would enjoy the understanding WP community ^_^

AspieUtah
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2015, 8:49 pm

I love the idea. And, I don't even like superhero stories.

Diagnosed in 2015 with ASD Level 1 by the University of Utah Health Care Autism Spectrum Disorder Clinic using the ADOS-2 Module 4 assessment instrument [11/30] -- Screened in 2014 with ASD by using the University of Cambridge Autism Research Centre AQ (Adult) [43/50]; EQ-60 for adults [11/80]; FQ [43/135]; SQ (Adult) [130/150] self-reported screening inventories -- Assessed since 1978 with an estimated IQ [≈145] by several clinicians -- Contact on WrongPlanet.net by private message (PM)

Marduk1965

08 Jun 2015, 5:24 am

Back when I though I only had bipolar I wanted to do one called Bipolarman. About a guy who gets into all sorts of scrapes because he just can't stand to see injustice. Too bad the domain name was taken.

When I was a teen in Houston and being beaten almost daily by the kids there, I had to fantasize at night about being a superhero and having the strength to defend myself against the kids who were beating me up. It made it possible to get through life there. I once had a group of about 10 to 15 kids knock me over on my bicycle and proceed to run over me and my bike for about ten minutes. I had to carry my bike 3 miles to get home. I just wanted the strength to be able to keep from being knocked over by these kids.

Spider-man was my hero growing up. He was an awesome super hero but also had personal problems which gave him a human aspect that I enjoyed. So I think I have a direction to go with but I need to know if I actually have Autism to be sure I have the full understanding to write from that perspective.

AhsokaLives
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

18 Jul 2015, 3:22 pm

i like this idea! too many negative or ridiculous portrayals of autistic characters out there. some good ones (like Abed!), but we could use more, especially from our community. there's been a big push to represent racial/ethnic/cultural minorities and women in comics & the like because it matters... people are more likely to learn to sympathize/empathize with someone different if they read books or watch movies with good portrayals of people who are different from them, and it's inspiring for people in minority communities to see positive portrayals in the media. go for it!! :-)

"I often wonder if I should have been born at another time. My senses are unusually, some might say unnaturally keen, and ours is an era of distraction. It's a punishing drumbeat of constant input. It follows us into our homes and into our beds. It seeps into our... Into our souls, for want of a better word. [...] In my less productive moments, I'm given to wonder.... If I had just been born when it was a little quieter out there, [...] Might I have been more focused? A more fully realized person?"
-Sherlock, in Elementary ("The Marchioness")