Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2007, 11:53 pm

What are some good TV shows for aspies.
The real only shows i could enjoy where comedies like The Simpson and Futurama. After i had watched those shows a long while, i startded finding nice lil other comedy cartoons like King of the Hill (witch doesnt get the credit it deserves for such a good show, if you have seen an ep or 2 but not really watched it much, i recommend watching it more. it grows on you.) And Dilbert was a nice lil short one. Only like 30 eps or so. Then Family Guy is good, but i don't really like it that much anymore. South Park has some great eps, and some horrible eps.
But anyways, I am starting to like real non-cartoon shows. I have found a couple good ones. Taken was an amazing mini series. Any sci-fi fan should love it. Then i got into the whole 24 thing. I had downloaded season 1 and didn't like it much, but watched it anyways because i had it and wanted to give it a chance, I am glad i did. It turns into a great show. And then i saw an ad for a show Beauty and the Geek, i thought that was a brilliant idea for a show. I downloaded a couple eps and thought it was great. I could relate to the geeks and there was some hot chicks, what more could u want in a show? It was cleaver and funny, but then after a few eps i started noticing it was becoming more like girl drama then a real show, and i even suspect its scripted. But it was nice while it lasted.
Now i just saw a post on my fav warez forum, for a show called Live on Mars. This grabbed my attention right away, but then i was somewhat disappointed to find it was not what the title makes it out to be. But after reading a couple replies and seeing what ti was about, i thought i would check it out. a 21st century 70s cop show, another brillant idea for a show. Then after watching ep 1 i realized the show was much more then just that. Its about like weather this guy is dreaming or not, he thinks he might be in a coma, or he might have gone back in time, or he might be nuts, or people might be f*g with him, etc. He is real smart and thinks about it, if he could be making it up, how much his mind could do, etc. And it also is still the cop show, so that makes it cool too. Its got nice music, and filmed very well. The actors have cool ass English accents too.
Anyways what i was hoping is this thread turn into like reviews for shows other aspies may like that you found. I hope every one else writes better than me ;-) Also i hope you look into these shows, so you can enjoy them as much as me :)

BeautyWithin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Feb 2007, 11:58 pm

I like House and CSI.

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 12:08 am

House be me show!

Arrgh!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

Juggernaut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 12:24 am

Well at least someone appreciates King of the Hill! That show is absolutely genius, simply because it feels so real. It's more realistic than most live actions sitcoms, but funny at the same time, so you can really relate to the characters. I hate laugh tracks, corny filler jokes, and a cast of exagerated stock characters whose only purpose is to fill some stereotype.

90 percent of sitcomes suck. I mean, I can see how some people like shows like friends, but I cannot get past corny filler jokes. They make me sick. Everybody Loves Raymond? Sure, I've watched it and parts of it I like, but I can only take so much sitcominess with contrived and completely predictable plots where everyone overreacts and you know its all going to happen again. Yes Dear? Perhaps one of the worst I've seen. I've only seen one episode, and it was so bad I think I can safely say that even if the rest of the episodes were brilliant (which I doubt), that one episode still was so bad that the entire show can be called terrible.

I mean, why do they have to ruin what could be great shows with terrible jokes and a laugh track that tells us they are supposed to be hilarious, insulting our intelligence? I'm going to guess a lot of Aspies feel the same way.

I will check out that Live on Mars show, where can I watch it?

Ok, so I am going to list my favorite sitcoms:

The Cosby Show

Seinfeld

Fresh Prince

Kino of the Hill

The Simpsons

I don't watch tv in general however. My favorite shows are educational, like nature or science programs, the history channel, or the news.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 12:48 am

Avon in Blakes 7 is supposedly pretty aspie.

Personally, I like Doctor Who, Star Trek, House...notice a pattern here, lol. House has some aspie traits, and Spock and Data seem to be fairly emotionally unexpressive.

I also like Twilight Zone and Afterlife.

Saepius
Raven
Raven

13 Feb 2007, 1:06 am

I mostly watch comedy, I think, but one non-comedy that has really grown on me is Numb3rs.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 1:20 am

Juggernaut- I downloaded it off projectw (i don't know if i'm allowed to post the link here, due to it being warez and all, just google it) and if your not a warez kind of guy, the shows by BBC.
Graelwyn- Doctor Who is that like star trek? i looked it up on imdb and it seems kind of corney to be, but star trek probably would too if i never seen it.
Saepius - Numb3rs. "Working for the FBI, a mathematician uses equations to help solve various crimes." << i don't see how that would work. i like the idea of a mathematician because im good at math, but its not like x=(-b+-sqr(b^2-4ac))/(2a) will help you find who shot mr. burns :O

also a show i left out of my original post- Trailer Park Boys. its canadian but i heard they air it, censored, in the usa now because of the movie. Its about these misfits who are emotionally underdeveloped and have a huge lack of education who live in a trailer park and try to live in a society they just dont fit in. they grow dope and do things like steal bbqs, but the show is so well done. i love the way its filmed. Its on showcase here.

scrulie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 6:35 am

Third Rock From The Sun! It's a perfect analogue of aspies coping in an NT world! And hysterically funny IMO. My husband bought me the box set for christmas :D

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 6:59 am

scrulie wrote:
Third Rock From The Sun! It's a perfect analogue of aspies coping in an NT world! And hysterically funny IMO. My husband bought me the box set for christmas :D

Yeah, there are a LOT of shows about how aliens would view humans. Some come up with plausable explanations and descriptions akin to how psychiatrists view people with AS. You would think the psychiatrists would get the hint, and ASK!

One short story I had to read in school was about such a thing. BORING story, etc.... but the gist was that aliens were examining cars and trying to figure if the drivers were the guts or the brains!

One famous thinker once figured the brain was used to cool the body! Not TOTALLY without merit when you figure all the things that go on, the way it connects everywhere, blood flows through it SO much, heat goes to the top, etc... They thought the HEART was where the soul was!

FRANKLY, I like the good mystery shows:

columbo
diagnosis murder
house
medical mystery
etc...

And the nice thing is you can learn something too.

Steve

Young_fogey
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Feb 2007, 7:14 am

I love 'The Simpsons', 'Futurama' and 'King of the Hill' too, and 'Family Guy' when it's on top of its game. 'American Dad'? I watch it but meh.

I liked 'Star Trek' and 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' as well but the first one mostly because some of the women were hot. Spock is one of the best characters ever written and I agree that some of Data's stories are things spectrum people can relate to and learn from. 'TNG''s Reg Barclay is another, more realistic AS-like character you saw now and then. (The one who was addicted to the holodeck like some people are to the Internet in real life and who was crushing on Counsellor Troi.)

I keep hearing how Dr House is AS-like so I must see it sometime.

'Fish out of water' alien-learning-about-earthlings shows are naturals for spectrum people. Dr Tony Attwood praised '3rd Rock from the Sun' for that. For me as a kid it was 'Mork and Mindy'. Robin Williams was comedy gold its first year and there was Pam Dawber to have a healthy crush on. Doesn't get much better than that.

As for other good shows with AS-like heroes there's Bobby Goren (Vince D'Onofrio) on 'Law & Order: Criminal Intent'.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2007, 7:40 am

Young_fogey wrote:
I love 'The Simpsons', 'Futurama' and 'King of the Hill' too, and 'Family Guy' when it's on top of its game. 'American Dad'? I watch it but meh.

I liked 'Star Trek' and 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' as well but the first one mostly because some of the women were hot. Spock is one of the best characters ever written and I agree that some of Data's stories are things spectrum people can relate to and learn from. 'TNG''s Reg Barclay is another, more realistic AS-like character you saw now and then. (The one who was addicted to the holodeck like some people are to the Internet in real life and who was crushing on Counsellor Troi.)

I keep hearing how Dr House is AS-like so I must see it sometime.

'Fish out of water' alien-learning-about-earthlings shows are naturals for spectrum people. Dr Tony Attwood praised '3rd Rock from the Sun' for that. For me as a kid it was 'Mork and Mindy'. Robin Williams was comedy gold its first year and there was Pam Dawber to have a healthy crush on. Doesn't get much better than that.

As for other good shows with AS-like heroes there's Bobby Goren (Vince D'Onofrio) on 'Law & Order: Criminal Intent'.

HOUSE is a bit of a recluse, merely tolerates people, SEEMS arrogant, is smart, abused for his intelligence, likes a mystery, etc... So I can see AS in there. HECK, there have been times, and still are every now and then, when I do the SAME sort of thing. He has some vices that are generally understandable, but I don't. I got rid of some of the more unacceptable behaviour earlier, and I work with computers instead of people, but otherwise, house and I are similar.

Steve

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Feb 2007, 10:08 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
Avon in Blakes 7 is supposedly pretty aspie.

Personally, I like Doctor Who, Star Trek, House...notice a pattern here, lol. House has some aspie traits, and Spock and Data seem to be fairly emotionally unexpressive.

I also like Twilight Zone and Afterlife.

STAR TREK!! ! OMGosh Star Trek is my absolute favourite show!!

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 10:19 pm

I personaily like Star Trek TNG, DS9, and sometimes Voyager. I like ER, Star Gate SG1, CSI Mami

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 10:45 pm

Star Trek, the original, makes me laugh my ass off everytime I see it. I freaking love that show. DS9 and TNG are more sitcomy but pretty good. (I don't like the others). Red Dwarf is great. SCTV is stupid but likable, great for days when you're really depressed. Mr. Show has a labyrinthine sort of humour that only weird people seem to enjoy (probably my favorite show). Let's see... ah! The Prisoner is probably the most relevant for an aspie. That show is insane. I also like Wonder Showzen. Monty Python's a classic answer.

If there's one show I haven't discovered yet but I'm sure I'll like, it's Doctor Who. Other than any of these that I've listed, I don't particularly like anything else.

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

19 Feb 2007, 11:17 pm

I like the Discovery Health Channel. Medical topics are an obsession of mine. Perhaps that also expains my fascination with Roger Bannister, who became a physician.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 2:03 am

i looked up a lot of these shows on IMDb.com and i gotta say... i hate the new layout.
the old 1 as soon as i opened the page i could see what i wanted to see, now i have to almost look for everything. what jackass decided to change a good layout to this crap? :cry: