Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

RustDogofAus
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 Mar 2014, 2:06 am

So... what can one say about this upcoming movie other than it is a half-baked steaming pile of you-know-what?

Plot goes student, Josh Wheaton, attends a philosophy class with an atheist professor and is instructed, bluntly, to submit an assignment concerning why there is no god. The student is a Christian and has to find a way to prove that god exists. Said atheist professor is the antagonist of the story and is the stereotypical bully-bad-guy trope so cheesy if he were a food you'd die near-instantaneously from a heart attack after a single bite. Now I'm no university student, but I am quite certain that this could never happen in a class. Period.
I know I'm giving this movie a spotlight which it doesn't deserve and probably am going to catch a bit of flak for the rant, but hey I invoke the right of freedom of speech and it won't be a hate speech on Christianity, so calm your britches. This movie is a poorly conceived attack on atheists and quite frankly the people involved couldn't be any more "subtle" about it if they tried. There is no effort involved in this film whatsoever: the acting is poor, the premise is one long hate speech/indoctrination scrounge and it just looks like a class project more hastily slapped together than re-enactments of "The Blair Witch Project".
This movie, of course, is a work of fiction and should not be taken seriously.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 11:59 am

Yeah, not that I've studied philosophy but aren't their times when you play the devil's advocate?
It was Riker's greatest moment. Think Measure of a Man.

Douglas_MacNeill
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2014, 12:28 pm

RustDogofAus wrote:
So... what can one say about this upcoming movie other than it is a half-baked steaming pile of you-know-what?

Plot goes student, Josh Wheaton, attends a philosophy class with an atheist professor and is instructed, bluntly, to submit an assignment concerning why there is no god. The student is a Christian and has to find a way to prove that god exists. Said atheist professor is the antagonist of the story and is the stereotypical bully-bad-guy trope so cheesy if he were a food you'd die near-instantaneously from a heart attack after a single bite. Now I'm no university student, but I am quite certain that this could never happen in a class. Period.
I know I'm giving this movie a spotlight which it doesn't deserve and probably am going to catch a bit of flak for the rant, but hey I invoke the right of freedom of speech and it won't be a hate speech on Christianity, so calm your britches. This movie is a poorly conceived attack on atheists and quite frankly the people involved couldn't be any more "subtle" about it if they tried. There is no effort involved in this film whatsoever: the acting is poor, the premise is one long hate speech/indoctrination scrounge and it just looks like a class project more hastily slapped together than re-enactments of "The Blair Witch Project".
This movie, of course, is a work of fiction and should not be taken seriously.

I wonder if that's also the movie that made Satan (in the scene where Jesus is tempted by Satan) look like Barack Obama.
That scene...kind of telegraphs the idea that this whole movie is a piece of sh*t, or a piece of shoddy if you prefer a
more printable way of expressing it.

And as for the God is dead stuff, I understand it to mean that the God as well as the Man died when Jesus was crucified.
The danger with this is the idea that all the talk about the Atonement as substitution ("He took my place on Calvary"),
as sacrifice (on the model of the animal sacrifices of the Old Testament/Hebrew Bible), and as punishment ("for our sins")
seems to become just a theory about the Atonement.