Little Things that Annoy You on the Screen?

Page 3 of 8 [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 8  Next

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2014, 6:49 pm

russiank12 wrote:
-People not washing their spit in the sink after brushing their teeth (EX: any time someone's getting ready, just always)

Yeah, that really grosses me out.

russiank12 wrote:
-Shaky cameras

I'm not a fan of that either and that's the reason why I tend to dislike "found footage" movies.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

n8dogg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Oct 2014, 1:51 am

- Wearing descant clothes and then getting them dirty later on.
- Cutaways.
- Cutting to different events or places really quickly.
- Answering a phone call on a public phone.
- Using dramatic music for something minor just to make it look more dramatic.
- Not sneezing when there is dust everywhere.
- A chase scene where they reach a cliff, the victim falls off the cliff and the enemy thinks that the character is dead but realises later on that he or she is still
- Damaging expensive items or destroying expensive houses.

Last edited by n8dogg on 15 Oct 2014, 5:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2014, 4:52 pm

I don't mind the one about referencing song lyrics----yeah, it's kinda corny, but cute!!

I agree about the one that russiank12 said about when people don't get dirty----that's sooooo stupid. I really have to give the Brits credit for alot of stuff. One, they DO get dirty when they fall-over; two, they usually don't fake taking a drink of something; three, they oftentimes don't wake-up in full makeup (women).

gaz34
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2014, 7:44 pm

People not locking their car doors, actors pretending to smoke, too many studio lights everywhere, when someone leaves just as someone enters and they're all really surprised even though it happens in every scene, obvious use of the same set and props arranged differently for different scenes.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Oct 2014, 9:58 am

Oh, yeah! I don't like that one about "actors pretending to smoke", either.

Another one that I thought of, is: I don't like the lighting on some TV shows. I'm thinking it might be because of the use of Hand-cams, or whatever they're called----or, maybe it's because of the use of Hand-cams, ALONE. I've never been able to watch "The Office", "30 Rock", or "Parks and Recreation" because of it.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Oct 2014, 6:00 pm

n8dogg wrote:
- Damaging expensive items or destroying expensive houses.

YESSSS

JuliaBoon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Oct 2014, 8:27 pm

Campin_Cat wrote:
JuliaBoon wrote:
Plus why is there two females together?

"Cagney and Lacey" was a show with two women, back in the 80s, and it was HUGELY popular----it was on for 7 years, I think----they didn't wear heels and designer clothes, though.

Not saying I don't like females in the lead cop role, just saying I think its a little unbelievable; expressially the high heels!

JuliaBoon wrote:
JuliaBoon wrote:
Where is the beast?

I think "the beast" might be New York.

Just saying that the show should be more BEASTLY! :D

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

16 Oct 2014, 8:55 pm

JuliaBoon wrote:
Not saying I don't like females in the lead cop role, just saying I think its a little unbelievable; expressially the high heels!

Yeah, few things look as dumb as women running in high heels, especially when they know there's gonna be running. :roll:

Oh. another thing that annoys me in movies: If there is a dramatic scene, and there is a man and a woman there, you can be sure the man ends up carrying her. And if there is a child and an adult, the adult ends up carrying the child, no matter how unharmed the child is and how old it is.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

16 Oct 2014, 8:57 pm

-When there's an alarm clock going off, especially when it takes the character forever to turn it off
-When someone is announcing a train leaving, or a performer's turn on stage, and the character being called for is having a conversation that takes way longer than the announcer would allow
-General conversational cues to keep the show progressing, that would never happen in real life. It almost seems Aspie-esque the way characters end conversations to abruptly, or ignore something someone said to them to talk about something else

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Oct 2014, 9:16 am

@JuliaBoon: "Oh, okay" on both of your comments.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

17 Oct 2014, 9:39 am

When actors drink from a glass and if you notice they aren't drinking or swallowing anything.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 11:09 am

I like to watch cooking shows alot, and I HATE it when a stand-mixer, for instance, is so loud that the chef / cook has to practically holler over the noise. I've seen shows where the mixer hardly makes a sound----so, if even ONE show can do it, why can't the rest???

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2014, 3:32 pm

Phone numbers not starting with 555 were used in "Short Cuts" (Robert Altman), and "Bruce Almighty", at least originally. But when I saw "Bruce Almighty" on video, a number beginning with 555 was used. Some movie used a non-555 number once which turned out to a real person's number, that person got tons of crank calls, and sued the filmmakers. That movie may have been "Bruce Almighty"; I forgot. There's a funny scene on the 555 issue in the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie "The Last Action Hero".

Some other things that bug me:

People driving a car, talking to the person next to them, looking at them and not at the road for a long time.

Someone pays for a cab or something else by pulling a bill out of their wallet and handing it to the driver or whoever, without counting bills or even looking at them.

Chess scenes/talk in movies + TV are usually filled with inaccuracies. Expert players are surprised by a mate-in-two (in STTOS, when Spock loses to Kirk in 3D chess, this may even happen with a mate-in-one.). Every move is a check or a capture. Names of openings and other chess terms are misused. Games between grandmasters always end in checkmate. And so forth. All these problems could be fixed be employing any decent chess player as a consultant. Many would do it for free.

In the TV show "Numbers", John von Neumann's name was butchered as "Nooman", as in Jerry Seinfeld's "Hello, Newman". von Neumann's background is Hungarian and the "eu" should sound like "oy" (like it does in German words).

[quote="Jory"]The use of 555 as a prefix for phone numbers. I understand why they do it, but it's always distracting. It'd be better not to have the character recite a number at all.

DRzero
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Oct 2014, 3:35 pm

One more: someone is in his apartment and waiting for someone he really wants to see to arrive. There's a knock at the door. The guy gets all excited, jogs to the door, opens it, and...it's not who he expected. I can always see this coming a mile away.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 8:00 pm

DRzero wrote:
People driving a car, talking to the person next to them, looking at them and not at the road for a long time.

Yeah, I don't like that either. It always makes me prepare for crash.

DRzero wrote:
In the TV show "Numbers", John von Neumann's name was butchered as "Nooman", as in Jerry Seinfeld's "Hello, Newman". von Neumann's background is Hungarian and the "eu" should sound like "oy" (like it does in German words).

A lot of names are pronounced wrong in movies.

And don't get me started on when Hollywood actors try to speak another language. I remember one X-files episode where they supposedly spoke Norwegian. I didn't understand a word of it. (I'm Norwegian, by the way.)

It also annoys me when there are scenes in American movies where they speak some other language. Just use accents instead, so I don't have to stare stiffly at the bottom of the scene. Even when the scene is short it's still annoying. I hate reading movies and seek out Scandinavian and British/American movies for that very reason

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2014, 10:20 pm

Foreign actors being forced to do American accents for no reason. I can understand Christian Bale doing American accents for Batman and John Connor, because those characters have already been established as Americans. But there's no reason for, say, Sam Worthington's characters in Avatar and Terminator Salvation to be American. He's awful at covering up his natural accent, and his characters would have been much less distracting had the directors just let them be Australian.